EB.com BIGGEST LOSER

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats man! I'll do a weigh in this Friday. Didn't want to get on the scale early for fear of further disappointment, i.e weight GAIN when I thought I should be losing.

Also, I think I strained my left pec doing flys a few days ago, as it still hurts when I outstretch my arm.
I know the feeling! You got this one though dude, you'll be under weight with all the work you're puttin in.

I was planning on hitting the gym at lunch today but just had a lunch meeting called. Shitake! Guess I'll have to do it after I put the kids to bed.

I was at 190.2 at the dreaded weight watchers meeting last night. 55.6 lbs since Sept. 13. Slow going lately though which makes motivation very tough to maintain.

Congrats man! I'll do a weigh in this Friday. Didn't want to get on the scale early for fear of further disappointment, i.e weight GAIN when I thought I should be losing.

Also, I think I strained my left pec doing flys a few days ago, as it still hurts when I outstretch my arm.
I know the feeling! You got this one though dude, you'll be under weight with all the work you're puttin in.

I was planning on hitting the gym at lunch today but just had a lunch meeting called. Shitake! Guess I'll have to do it after I put the kids to bed.

The tough part is that MIAF has taken on a second job, so I've already lost three days in a row of gym going due to babysitting. I now have no choice but to pay each day at the gym to stick junior in the daycare while I'm there.

I also forgot how easy it is for me to put muscle on. Only mild lifting, and within two weeks a noticeable difference in terms of definition and capability.

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome FL Buff!

183 this morning for me... the official delta is now -2! I'm moving to 7 days a week working out, either on a bike ride, run or in the weight room.

Mrs. MG is liking the outcome so far!

Man, I hopped on the scale last night, and I managed to GAIN another pound and a half. I don't get it, I've probably cut my calorie intake in half, don't drink sugary drinks, have been exercising at least 5 days a week, eating earlier in the day, and I'm still gaining. Definitely a big blow to the motivation factor :(

ahh man i'm sorry i know how it goes! Are you putting on mostly muscle? Maybe just need to focus on cadio?
Very light muscle coupled with cardio. Not enough to where I should be gaining any substantial mass.

ahh man i'm sorry i know how it goes! Are you putting on mostly muscle? Maybe just need to focus on cadio?
Very light muscle coupled with cardio. Not enough to where I should be gaining any substantial mass.
That's strange...but I know the feeling, I've been there! Had the same feeling and loss of motivation. Just stick with it... the weight will come off if you do.

Man, I hopped on the scale last night, and I managed to GAIN another pound and a half. I don't get it, I've probably cut my calorie intake in half, don't drink sugary drinks, have been exercising at least 5 days a week, eating earlier in the day, and I'm still gaining. Definitely a big blow to the motivation factor :(
it may not be possible to do, but if you are working out at night, try switching to a morning workout.

Don't get discouraged. Stick with it. Weight loss is not instantaneous. I've found that it seems to take a while for things to get going, but once it does you will really see a substantial difference.

Keep active. Even on off days try to squeeze in a little activity. Since the weather has gotten warmer I've been going for walks during my lunch break in addition to my usual evening workouts.

Keep an eye on your portion control. Know how much a "single serving" is for everything you eat. It sounds like you've made some good changes in your diet, just be sure that you know what a single serving looks like. I started measuring it out at first, and I was pretty amazed (disappointed) at how small a single serving was in most cases. I also found that I can eat pretty much anything I want, I just can't eat to much of it. Cake, pizza, french fires, you name it, it's still on my menu, I just eat in moderation.

Try not to let yourself get ravenously hungry between meals either. If you feel like you're starving when you sit down to eat, you'll eat to quickly and to much. I try to keep a piece of fruit nearby at all times as a snack just in case I start to feel really hungry. An apple, orange, banana, raisins, etc. are easy to keep around somewhere b/c they don't require constant refrigeration.

Another helpful tip, for everyone reading this, when you go out to eat a meal, eat half of the portion they bring you. 99% of the restaurants you visit bring out a meal that is the equivalent to 2-3 times what you should eat in a single meal. I've gotten in the habit of pretty much splitting my meals out in half and taking what's left home with me. I can't remember the last time I left a restaurant without a doggy bag.

Another helpful tip, for everyone reading this, when you go out to eat a meal, eat half of the portion they bring you. 99% of the restaurants you visit bring out a meal that is the equivalent to 2-3 times what you should eat in a single meal. I've gotten in the habit of pretty much splitting my meals out in half and taking what's left home with me. I can't remember the last time I left a restaurant without a doggy bag.
This is a great tip, but unfortunately I have a hard time doing this. I need to start splitting the meals as soon as I get my plate instead of eating and then splitting it up. I'm very bad about eating everything on my plate, no matter how much food it is. My mother-in-law thinks I need to eat about 3x more than I really do need to eat, so she has learned to just serve me that much food because she knows I finish my plate, but I never ask for seconds.

Another helpful tip, for everyone reading this, when you go out to eat a meal, eat half of the portion they bring you.
Other than when I'm on vacation and have to eat dinner out by default, or when invited to someone's birthday party or whatever, I have not voluntarily gone out for dinner in about 4 years. It's expensive and fattening.

This is a great tip, but unfortunately I have a hard time doing this. I need to start splitting the meals as soon as I get my plate instead of eating and then splitting it up. I'm very bad about eating everything on my plate, no matter how much food it is. My mother-in-law thinks I need to eat about 3x more than I really do need to eat, so she has learned to just serve me that much food because she knows I finish my plate, but I never ask for seconds.
you definitely need to make the conscious decision before you start eating not to eat the whole meal. At restaurants I will mental split the meal in two (sometimes, depending on what I'm eating I'll physically set aside half of it) and I will not go past my imaginary halfway point.

At home we started eating off smaller plates. I'm not kidding, it helps a lot. Something about a lot of empty space on your plate makes the meal feel smaller. It helps with that feeling of "having to clean your plate" and helps to slow you down when eating. If you finish what's on your small plate and you are still hungry you can go back and get (a little) more food. Usually, I'll sit and wait a few minutes after finishing my plate just to make sure I am really still hungry.

Another helpful tip, for everyone reading this, when you go out to eat a meal, eat half of the portion they bring you.
Other than when I'm on vacation and have to eat dinner out by default, or when invited to someone's birthday party or whatever, I have not voluntarily gone out for dinner in about 4 years. It's expensive and fattening.
Normal people go out to eat every once in a while, so this advice is geared towards them. If you didn't spend so much money on shoes you'd have more to have an occasional meal out here or there. :p

it may not be possible to do, but if you are working out at night, try switching to a morning workout.

I'd like to, I'm just not sure that I have enough time between the time I have to leave for work, and the time the gym opens.

The disheartening part is that I'm not doing anything any differently from when I lost the huge amount of weight the first time. And the fact that I put ON weight is what baffles me.

One other bit of advice (and it's probably already posted), is throw away your scale or at least use it very minimally (once or twice a month). IMO, it's such a bad way to track your progress as it only attempts to put a quantity on your health. Are you feeling better? More energy during the day? How do your clothes fit compared the last time your wore that outfit?

I know it's easier to track something quantifiable, but I've found the quantities themselves serve as such a demodivational tool if they aren't what you hope/expect for.

I've found that I've basically stalled at the 150 mark for the last month or so, but I feel alot better than a month ago. I have more energy to play with the kiddos after work and don't feel like I have to sit down on the couch right after work to "recover." I've found that I'm not getting that early afternoon (post-lunch) drowsy feeling anymore either. And finally, I'm actually getting ready to pit through my wardrobe and eliminate a ton of clothes that are too small (that were baggy as little as 4 monthes ago). So despite the fact I haven't gained any more weight toward my goal, I feel the other "gains" are so much more valuable.

Last edited:
One other bit of advice (and it's probably already posted), is throw away your scale or at least use it very minimally (once or twice a month). IMO, it's such a bad way to track your progress as it only attempts to put a quantity on your health. Are you feeling better? More energy during the day? How do your clothes fit compared the last time your wore that outfit?
I know it's easier to track something quantifiable, but I've found the quantities themselves serve as such a demodivational tool if they aren't what you hope/expect for.

I've found that I've basically stalled at the 150 mark for the last month or so, but I feel alot better than a month ago. I have more energy to play with the kiddos after work and don't feel like I have to sit down on the couch right after work to "recover." I've found that I'm not getting that early afternoon (post-lunch) drowsy feeling anymore either. And finally, I'm actually getting ready to pit through my wardrobe and eliminate a ton of clothes that are too small (that were baggy as little as 4 monthes ago). So despite the fact I haven't gained any more weight toward my goal, I feel the other "gains" are so much more valuable.
I think a scale can be a valuable tool, if used correctly.

Don't weigh yourself daily. Don't weigh yourself multiple times a day.

Do track your long term results though.

Since weight loss (or gain) is a slow gradual process it can be difficult to notice results based purely off how you feel on a given day. Also, since weight loss (or gain) is a gradual process sometimes you don't notice the change in yourself much. Other people (especially people who don't see you on a day to day basis) are more likely to notice. I've had a lot of people tell me I've lost a lot of weight, I don't notice it as much, b/c I've seen myself every single day, so the change is a very gradual one, and to me, I look the same everyday.

Honestly, the only way I really can tell there is a difference in me today as opposed to three years ago are the quantifiable differences, primarily my weight and my race times. I know I weigh less b/c I measured myself back then. I know I can run faster and farther b/c I have my race times from three years ago to compare to.

I'd advise to weigh yourself no more than once a week and weigh yourself at the same time of day each time.

I think a scale can be a valuable tool, if used correctly. Don't weigh yourself daily. Don't weigh yourself multiple times a day.

Do track your long term results though.

I'd advise to weigh yourself no more than once a week and weigh yourself at the same time of day each time.
I agree with this. If you do weigh yourself, do so at regular intervals and under the same conditions. For example, I workout at the gym at the same time every morning (6:30a-7:30a), come home and drink a glass of juice. Then as the shower is warming up, I'll pull the scale out and weigh myself then. Because I am wearing the same thing at the same time of day each time I weigh myself, I can then track how I am truly gaining (or losing) weight and also how fluctuations in my routine on the previous day effect things (late vs early dinner, what I ate, how much I ate, etc) and can use that info to adjust my routine accordingly. The important thing to remember is if you do adjust your routinte, to not make MAJOR adjustments in short periods of time due to minor fluctuations in routine (such as skipping dinner for a week because you weigh half a pound more than you wanted).

Last edited:
Back