EB.com BIGGEST LOSER

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I'm still hungry, I'll drink a bottle of something.
I suggest a bottle of Old Crow, or maybe some Jeremiah Weed.

I'm *still* at 187, even with 3-4 days a week at the gym and no snacking after dinner (and eating smaller portions!)

What do you do at the gym?
I usually do 30 minutes of cardio (Bike/Spinner, Treadmill, Elliptical, Endless Stairs (the worst!) etc.), followed by 30-45 minutes in the weight room. Right now my weight room routine is from Men's Health, and its kind of like a cardio visit to the weight room where I don't rest much inbetween sets. The routine is as follows:

1 set of each (no rest inbetween): Bench (3-5 reps), Deadlift (3-5 reps), Reverse Lunge (8 reps each leg), Diagonal Lift&Press (5 reps each side)

Then do 1 Set of Bench followed by 1 set of Deadlift, rest 60 sec. Repeat 3 times. Then 1 set lunge, 1 set Diagonal L&P, rest 60 sec, repeat 3 times.

The point is to build full body strength quickly in a compressed amount of time (because I usually do this at lunch or before work and don't have that much time).

So I'm most likely building muscle and shedding fat which is keeping me at the same overall weight... but my pants aren't any looser around the waistline so its a little disheartening. It's only been 6 weeks though, so I'm not ready to give up just yet.

I mix it up a bit by swimming or running a 3 mile loop if I'm a little sore from the gym...

Have you noticed any difference in your appearance? Do you look skinnier/more buff in the mirror? I think you are just adding muscle that is offsetting the weight loss from burning fat. You may want to try just doing cardio for an hour instead of breaking it up between cardio and weights.

I know that I haven't lost much weight at all in the last year or so, but I look completely different and my clothes fit differently because of the muscle mass I have added.

Throw manmakers into your workout every now and again. http://www.gymjones.com/schedule.php?date=20051123 scroll down to see description of the exercise. I do them 10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 (10 reps-rest, 9 reps-rest …)and the first time I did them with 10 lb dumbbells it took me 30 minutes to complete and I was spent.

Oh man am I ever full. I just ate a massive slice of birthday cake. It was so so tasty.

How are the diets coming along everyone? I think I'll go get some ice cream now.

:17:

Throw manmakers into your workout every now and again. http://www.gymjones.com/schedule.php?date=20051123 scroll down to see description of the exercise. I do them 10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 (10 reps-rest, 9 reps-rest …)and the first time I did them with 10 lb dumbbells it took me 30 minutes to complete and I was spent.
It's burpees with dumbbells. I did some burpees after a P90X "rest week" workout. I smoked the guys that had been doing some program that included burpees. I think the exercise that day was 10 squats, 10 pushups, 10 squats, 10 burpees repeated 3 times.

I used to do the opposite of this. You start with 1 rep, wait 1 second, 2 reps, rest 2 seconds, 3 reps, 3 second... all the way up to 10. By the time you hit 6 or 7 you're dying.

This diet is giving me, um, gurgling sensations down south. I've been crop dusting all day.

I used to do the opposite of this. You start with 1 rep, wait 1 second, 2 reps, rest 2 seconds, 3 reps, 3 second... all the way up to 10. By the time you hit 6 or 7 you're dying.
That is similar to the way I do breathing ladders with a KB swing. 1 rep, 1 breath, 2 reps, 2 breaths, 3 reps, 3 breaths all the way up to 20 and then back down to 1.

That sounds like an exercise routine I've been meaning to try. You start at minute 1 and do 1 pushup, then you add 1 pushup every minute until you can't complete any more reps within a minute. I just wonder how far I could make it.

The scale read 185 this morning! :multiplespotting:

And as a reality check, now I am officially back to where I was when I signed up for this contest. :brickwall:

The scale read 185 this morning! :multiplespotting:
And as a reality check, now I am officially back to where I was when I signed up for this contest. :brickwall:

You're still ahead of me! I only dropped a pound last week putting me at least 3 pounds over my starting weight. :smileyballs:

I've started spacing out my meals now, and I definitely feel full quicker. I eat an egg beaters wrap for breakfast, something small around 10:30 (today I have some whole wheat pasta with some sauce), a small lunch (turkey sandwich on wheat), and then I don't feel that hungry around dinner. I also try to eat when I get back from the gym and the metabolism is at full force.

I ran 8 miles in 57'48" last night. What I am most pleased about is that I ran the same 4 mile loop twice and my split times for each were only 11 seconds apart, meaning I'm keeping a pretty consistent pace.

And yes, I hurt today.

I ran 8 miles in 57'48" last night. What I am most pleased about is that I ran the same 4 mile loop twice and my split times for each were only 11 seconds apart, meaning I'm keeping a pretty consistent pace.
And yes, I hurt today.
Damn! That's pretty f'n impressive!

I am getting ready for the racing/touring season. I signed up for the Tour de Cure in May, a ride from San Antonio to Austin. (Let me know if you want to sponsor me or donate to a worthy cause... diabetes is a crappy disease!)

I'm also thinking of doing this crazy race up in Dallas in May. I want to do it just for the free helmet. http://www.warriordash.com/

So its time to up the ante and get into better shape! The gym won't cut it anymore, I need to get in the saddle and put some miles in.

Got in the saddle for two rides this weekend and felt great. Even better, the scale said 184 this morning. finally, actual weight loss since the competition began!

Congrats man! I'll do a weigh in this Friday. Didn't want to get on the scale early for fear of further disappointment, i.e weight GAIN when I thought I should be losing.

Also, I think I strained my left pec doing flys a few days ago, as it still hurts when I outstretch my arm.

Back