EB.com BIGGEST LOSER

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had to break down and go with a gym also this past weekend, I cant ever seem to get to run after work anymore due to work, then rushing to a kid activity, homework, etc, so lunch is about the only free time I have, so I got a $20/month gym membership from golds gym and worked it out with my boss to take a little longer lunch and stay late so I could get some exercise in.....

I hate to do it cause I hate treadmills, but for my size 230 lbs I would have to buy a really good running treadmill and dont want to sink $3500 bucks on a good one that will hold up...

I must be looking a little more porky lately cause my wife was very encouraging of the expenditure :D

30 minutes on the bike on the indoor trainer today during lunch. Bicycling Magazine's calculator says I burned 431.87 calories. Damn I'm out of shape!

30 minutes on the bike on the indoor trainer today during lunch. Bicycling Magazine's calculator says I burned 431.87 calories. Damn I'm out of shape!
That's about right. I spent 34 minutes (30 minute Random program, 2 minute warm up, and 2 minute cool down) on my Lifecycle today and burned 427 cals.

3 straight days on the treadmill, 5 miles each, machine said I burned over 1000 calories but I dont know how accurate those things are.....

sadly the gym i joined is short on "eye candy" :(

3 straight days on the treadmill, 5 miles each, machine said I burned over 1000 calories but I dont know how accurate those things are.....
sadly the gym i joined is short on "eye candy" :(
I've been told those calorie counters on the gym equipment aren't very accurate.

If you think your gym is short on eye candy you should check out my gym. The YMCA. There's nothing like seeing a bunch of men and women in there 80's working up a sweat. Yee haw!

Last edited by a moderator:
when i lived out in paulding county we joined the ymca out there, the wife actually worked there part time doing nutrition stuff, but it was actually pretty nice, in terms of the eye candy

i joined the golds gym off EW Connector near Powder Springs Road, which isnt exactly the nicest area in the world... but its close to work so that all that matters...

We've got plenty at ours. I wish my wife could sneak me into the women's locker room at times.
I'm afraid of what I might see in the women's locker room at my gym if the men's locker room is any indication. At what age does it become appropriate to loiter in a locker room nude? 65? 75? 85? And for many men at that age I realize there is not a lot of reason to use the hair dryer for what's left of the hair on your head, but that should not give you a reason to experiment with using it to dry hair in other places on your body. Some things just can't be unseen, and I will never touch the hair dryers in a locker room.

There's a big sign outside the locker room at our gym about etiquette and one of the items is about minimizing naked time.

I swing by the house after work, change, go to the gym, then come home and shower. My junk never sees the light of day.

My things that can't be unseen moment came at our last gym. I was shooting the breeze with a couple of random guys while changing. They were having a spirited conversation, and this one guy decided to get on his soap box and go on a long winded, animated monologue. He was of course completely naked at the time. With all the arm waving and gesturing, it made uh, other stuff wave and bounce around too. :puke:

I swing by the house after work, change, go to the gym, then come home and shower. My junk never sees the light of day.
changing, showering, getting naked, etc. in the locker room doesn't bother me. It's the old guys that seem to spend half an hour in there in the buff for no good reason. Maybe there are hiding from their wives or something, but they sure aren't shy about letting it all hang out.

126! - thanks to a 4-day intestinal flu which I'm just getting over. :thumbs: Probably isn't going to last long though since now that I'm feeling better I'm starving!

I'm not losing much weight but I am getting considerably faster now at running. Just hit an all-family 5th place today at a President's day fun run - I got 5th place for the adult men, my wife got 5th for the adult women, and my daughter got 5th for the female youth. Of course, there wasn't all that much competition, but 5k in 22:51 .... that's way faster than I have run before. It's nice to walk away with three sets of prizes, too (T-shirts and Subway footlong gift certificates :dunno: )

I'm not losing much weight but I am getting considerably faster now at running. Just hit an all-family 5th place today at a President's day fun run - I got 5th place for the adult men, my wife got 5th for the adult women, and my daughter got 5th for the female youth. Of course, there wasn't all that much competition, but 5k in 22:51 .... that's way faster than I have run before. It's nice to walk away with three sets of prizes, too (T-shirts and Subway footlong gift certificates :dunno: )

That's pretty cool, nice job!

I can only picture myself running one of those. It brings me back to an episode of "King of Queens" where Doug goes to run in some race, he's barely started the thing, and they show him passed out, arms and legs sprawled laying on the curb.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have found that the only way I lose weight these days is when I just do cardio (biking) for a few weeks. It means that I am losing muscle mass. I actually lose weight, but I look fatter in the mirror.

congrats dude thats pretty good! I used to be a distance runner in high school, but now I'm happy when I go jogging and can do 3 miles in 30 minutes!

My wife and a couple of her friends are running a half marathon this spring, and are trying to talk me into it. That's a doable distance for me, but the timing is not so good. The cold dry air kills my asthma. I'm wheezing within a half mile even after 2 puffs on the old inhaler. Maybe something later in the year where training will be easier for me.

I just got back from my first attempt at actual swimming in about 15 years. Now I fully understand why that event is first in triathalons. I am freakin dead tired now!

I ran a 10k last night after work in under 45 minutes and I'm feeling great today. I'm pretty pumped about that,. I'm training for a 15k race for the middle of next month and my goal time is 1:10. My recent training runs haven't been so successful. I strained a calf muscle about a month ago on a nine mile run and it felt like it was taking forever to heal. There were a few instances in the past few weeks where I couldn't even do two miles at any decent pace before it started bothering me so running for a decent distance at speed last night and feeling good today is a huge step in the right direction.

^^ dude that's awesome.

I did 3 miles on the treadmill this morning at 6mph pace again... then hit the weight room for about 30 minutes. I'm looking for some good workouts on menshealth.com to try and mix things up. Still at 187 though.

Here are a couple websites I found very helpful with building a weight-training workout routine:

http://www.exrx.net/Exercise.html <--- there are several links along the left side of the page that have a complete listing of each muscle and which lifts can be done to strengthen it (both combination lifts and isolation lifts). Most of the lifts have a small animated .gif image showing proper technique for performing the lift. There are also links to help develop workout routines, maintaining a good workout log, as well as a breakdown of the mechanics for each joint and how to maximize the effectiveness of your lifts.

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/main.html <--- several established workout routines as well as guidance for building the right routine for what you're goals are (mass building, core strength, weight loss, etc). These routines vary significantly with hours/day, days/week, reps, weight, frequency of each lift (ie. 3sets of 10 reps, twice a week).

I managed to build a rather extensive routine for mass-building as follows:

Everyday: 5-10 minute warm up (stationary bike, elliptical, treadmill)

Monday & Thursday: Chest & Back

Tuesday & Friday: Biceps, triceps, & shoulders

Wednesday & Saturday: Legs (quads, hamstrings, calves, glutes) & forearms

Sunday: off

Then work the core (abs, obliques, low back) 3 days per week.

This workout is done for about an hour per day first thing in the morning. After I'm done, I'll drink a large glass of juice (apple & grape) mixed with some powder Creatine. I track my workout on a small (4"x6") lined day-planner. I will document which lifts were done, the weight used, and the sets & reps for each.

I attached a spreadsheet of most of the lifts I do for reference.

Been doing this gym workout for ~2 months now and when combined with the change in diet after Thanksgiving I have managed to put on ~15lbs.

Workout.xls

Attachments

• Workout.xls
    22 KB
Back