Working out to lose weight

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buddy system?

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Count me in. This will be good for motivation.

Height: 6'

Weight: 220lbs

Waist: 41" Measured at my belly button. Although my pants are 34".

Goal Weight: 185 lbs.

Vices: Yes it is plural...Over eating, fastfood and just about anything with sugar.

Plan of attack: Eat less! Treadmill and basketball. If i can stick with an exercise program, i might invest in P90x.

I'm not measuring that... My pants are almost a 34" **** it, I don't care if I have to suck in to get them on. I'm a 34.

I too wear 34's which have progressively snugged up. One pair which used to fit me perfectly months ago I would have to paint on now. I want to be a loose 34, **** it!

OK - I'm summarizing all that have had interest and the stats / goals stated.

I say, if anyone else wants to participate that they NEED to get their information in by end of day today (like Midnight eastern time - for those like Dleg that are way out in the middle of nowhere). Tomorrow morning, VT and DV (if you guys are really willing to lead teams) will do the ol team splitting up thing and publish the rules???

Stats - some are missing. Please send updates, for information in red that's missing.

We essentially will have 24 hours to prep for getting the rules in place. If anyone has any suggestions on how we do the team thing and consequences for losing the least amount... get your information in here and DV/VT - you guys can take or pitch ideas as you see fit.

Just like in the game on TV - rules can change at any time. If you want to mix teams later / etc., you can do it, too... The world is your playground.

PS - if I got anything wrong (ie. gender) please slap me about the head profusely. I think I got it right.

^I will beat you with a wet noodle anyway on principal.

So how do we go about splitting up teams?

As far as rules go, maybe do a week to week challenge. Then have weigh ins/stats once a week.

My thought is that it should be something simple and easy to implement, because those are habits you will stick with rather than a starvation diet or crazy training. Say for Week 1 give up one of your listed vices for the week and see what happens. Check back in next week with an update and stats to see how you did. Something like that maybe?

^I will beat you with a wet noodle anyway on principal.
So how do we go about splitting up teams?

As far as rules go, maybe do a week to week challenge. Then have weigh ins/stats once a week.

My thought is that it should be something simple and easy to implement, because those are habits you will stick with rather than a starvation diet or crazy training. Say for Week 1 give up one of your listed vices for the week and see what happens. Check back in next week with an update and stats to see how you did. Something like that maybe?
For teams, dunno, you have some stats - you can see M/F, Big and little, goals etc, maybe just try to balance them out - then you'll get some head to head competition between people who have similar goals..

We do have 4 people missing some beginning stats - with Supe missing his beginning wt (most important for starters)...

Being one of the participants - dont' know that I should set things. DV - what do you think?

Right now we have balanced teams 7 on 7. If more want to join, I say more the merrier.

And I think you can have that, too...

Just tell your trainer to piss off.

Me, I love my trainer. They are the bestest.

I say no on the challenges...simple weight loss is all I'm after.
^agree, but I like the idea of teams

is there a individual prize and a team prize?

Last edited by a moderator:
Current Weight: 198 lbs (Will verify that I still weigh this tonight)

Waist: ~35" ... my 34" pants are a bit tight and 36" are a bit loose

Goal Weight: 175 lbs and 34" pants fitting well. Need to eliminate the muffin top and chest flab, tone up, and comfortably fit into my slim straight Levis again.

%: -13%

Strategy:

Cut out all sugary drinks. No more roach coach lunches, only one cheat day a week tops. Dinners primarily of chicken or fish with a side salad, earlier in the evening. No more microwave food, white bread, or junk dinners. Start working in some early exercise just to get the metabolism going (perfect pushups), then purchase and work into the P90X routine, albeit modified some for joint problems.

Vice(s):

Schedule-related fast food, soda, picking between meals, eating until I'm stuffed rather than content.

Okay, here are my stats:

290 pounds

6'-0"

BMI 39.3

Bald

14 wide shoes

anything else needed?

I'd be up for some simple challenges...our program at work has us try different things in making small changes that stick better, like upping our cardio for a week or aiming for a certain amount of veggies.

Ante up CbusPaul!!! Originally you had 185, now you're shooting for 175, push those limits!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm 5' 6 1/4", but I suppose you're going to round that off too. ;)

Back