Working out to lose weight

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buddy system?

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

TouchDown

Is it Friday yet?
Reaction score
I know there have been multiple threads on this, figured we could see how everyone is doing as we near the end of the year and enter the over-eating season.

So, I had dropped a few more pounds back around Memorial day, and got down to 177 (I was at 212 back about 2 years ago and lost weight pretty slowly).

Then, I got done with a big house project, sat back to admire my work, and ate, and ate, and ate. Now I'm back up to 195.

My wife and I just bought our christmas present for each other (together) - a nice treadmill. She's been wanting one for a while to stick in the basement with the big screen TV. Put it together last night (I want to strangle the stupid designer on that **** thing) for 2 hours, and then ran on it before going to bed.

I woke up this morning and have had an insatiable hunger. I've eaten everything in sight this morning almost to an uncontrollable urge - I forgot what it felt like to actually burn calories I guess.

So, with winter approaching, I hope to get down to my target weight of 165 at some point next year (AGAIN).

And so the world turns and my lack of self control will bite me in the ass again, I'm sure, but at least I WANT to get healthier.

Anyone else on the same **** roller coaster?

Last edited by a moderator:
I was at about 220 in mid-July when I joined the gym. In my best shape I weighed 183. In a little over 2 months I lost anywhere from 15-20 pounds (depending on what day and time I weighed myself). So I got down to about 202-203 and remained steady for a few weeks. Well, with a little baby due in 5 weeks, I find myself nesting for the wifey-wife and haven't been to the gym in 4 weeks. I've gone back up to around 206, but I feel much more sloppy. Probably won't hit the gym or the pool again for a while, but knowing that I dropped that weight in only 2+ months was nice. :)

YES.

In fact, I started last night.

Almost the same weight range as you. I was holding steady at low 170's, when a few consecutive months of travel, the move from work, time constraints, and the loss of a gym has brought me back into the upper 190's. Having seen that my blood pressure has gone up from the work stress as well, and knowing that there is a history of heart problems in my family, I'm really adamant on getting back on the wagon.

Drinks with sugar are out of the question, bringing my own lunch to work, dinners of chicken or fish (we stocked up BIG TIME last night at the grocery store in chicken and tilapia), and planning on starting P90x as soon as I can get my hands on the full deal (perfect push-ups will have to suffice for the time being). Fortunately, I'll be alone for most of the holidays (MIAF goes to visit her relatives in NY, so I'm all by my lonesome), so I can avoid the holiday binging.

I've done it twice, so I know I can do it again and actually maintain it this time, especially with MIAF moving in and cooking on a nightly basis. She's also wanting to drop a few pounds too, so she'll be there to motivate me.

Target weight: 175# Reward bonus: 169.9#

Lets do it!

I ballooned up to 212.

Time to stop with the CABs and eat better again, I suppose.

I'd like to get back to the 150 or so I was ten-twelve years ago, but realize 175 is probably a lot more realistic.

As an aside, maybe we can get a "biggest loser" contest going here. I participated in one on turbomustangs.com a while back. Basically, the people who are interested throw up a couple bucks/little trinket in the "pot", and then whoever loses the most % weight by the set date takes the pot. I ended up winning that one and getting a hat, sticker, and some magnets out of the deal. Adds some fun to it, and the weekly check-ins actually give you something to shoot for.

I think 2 years ago when we started the first losing weight thread I weighed 195. I would go to the gym fairly regularly and I ate what I thought was pretty well. I was convinced that I couldn't really lose that much weight. I started going to spin classes at my gym more regularly. A great new spin instructor started teaching classes, so me and my wife started going more regularly. The instructor started getting groups of people to go for runs after class too (the instructor is really big into triathlons and has even done an ironman tri). This gets me back into running regularly, something I did a lot of back in high school and during my early years at college. So a year goes by, I get down to around 185. Around this time last year we get a Wii fit. The Wii fit tells me I'm fat. I don't appreciate this. I only have to lose a few pounds to get down to the "normal" level. So I figure I'm already exercising, I should just be a bit more careful about what I eat. I don't really change my diet that much, I just don't eat as much as I had been doing before. I only ate until I was "3/4th's full", meaning that I wouldn't eat until I felt full, I'd eat more slowly and stop once I was no longer hungry, not eat until I felt "full". Using smaller plates helped a lot. My parents were definitely the sort that drilled it into us that we should eat everything on our plates. That was a tough habit to break.

Fast forward about a year. I weigh 160 now. I haven't weighed this much since I was in high school.

I've finally got back to the gym after a 2+ month hiatus after mini ble was born. I was getting up at 5 in the morning to study for the PE, so now I'm getting up and going to the gym. I've been at it for about 2 weeks now, and haven't missed a day yet. I really don't want to lose any weight because last year I lost about 25 pounds and I weigh around 210 now, and I look a little skinny. I want to gain some muscle, so I'm hitting the weights pretty good.

As an aside, maybe we can get a "biggest loser" contest going here. I participated in one on turbomustangs.com a while back. Basically, the people who are interested throw up a couple bucks/little trinket in the "pot", and then whoever loses the most % weight by the set date takes the pot. I ended up winning that one and getting a hat, sticker, and some magnets out of the deal. Adds some fun to it, and the weekly check-ins actually give you something to shoot for.
do we have to start this contest from today moving forward? B/c people who started losing weight a while ago shouldn't be panelized should they? ;)

Hasn't wilheldp has lost an extra person over the last year plus?

I have worked out every day for the last 669 (today will be day 670). I completed P90X about a week ago, so I am definitely in the best physical shape of my life. I haven't really dropped that much more weight...I'm down to about 220 (from 315). I'm sure the holidays will add 5-10 lbs back on, but I plan on doing Insanity (by the same company that sells P90X, but this one is mostly cardio stuff) after the New Year.

do we have to start this contest from today moving forward? B/c people who started losing weight a while ago shouldn't be panelized should they? ;)
Hasn't wilheldp has lost an extra person over the last year plus?
Yes, and since I lost all of that weight, there have been 2 of these weight-loss contests in groups I belong to. I'm pretty pissed that I didn't gain financially from my weight loss.

I have found that a nice combo of eating right and exercise is best.

Maybe 2 years ago, I was at my maximum weight of 205 lbs. I basically just stopped eating junk and snacks, work out every day (~30 mins), and now weigh 165 lbs.

It sounds simple, but sticking to it is an abolute must.

Allow yourself to cheat once a week though! The devil inside you will thank you for it!!!

Allow yourself to cheat once a week though!
I don't think my wife would like that very much!

I will be trying my new gym for the first time tonight. Our old one just closed abruptly. We got a nice deal on this one as they were looking to pick up exiles from our old one.

I have worked out every day for the last 669 (today will be day 670). I completed P90X about a week ago, so I am definitely in the best physical shape of my life. I haven't really dropped that much more weight...I'm down to about 220 (from 315). I'm sure the holidays will add 5-10 lbs back on, but I plan on doing Insanity (by the same company that sells P90X, but this one is mostly cardio stuff) after the New Year.

Now that you're done with it, want to sell it? :D

I just made an agreement with a co-worker for us to lose 10 pounds in the next 5 weeks. He's going in for surgery and it was suggested for him and I told him that it would be a good idea for me too.

Uh...I didn't "buy" it in the first place....unless you count my cable bill that allowed me to download 45 GB of movies.

Have a DVD burner? Or a really good p2p connection? :party-smiley-048:

hmmmm... do we do it by percent weight loss?

I will join in, I am at 6'2" and 230 lbs and about as bad out of shape as I have been in a long while

I finally had 2 good weeks of working out, running and weights, I can no longer run at lunch at my current job and that has had a big impact on me, I hate running in my neighborhood but sometimes thats the only time I have so I have been doing it...

How much green we want to put in? $5 , $10? Think we will need some before pictures / after pictures?

I would nominate VT or DV to hold the money...

I'm 5'9", about 170, average enough build. Not that strong, not that fast, just regularly active doing something. I've weighed the same thing since grad school. I'm stricter about diet than exercise.

I also have a metabolism where I shrivel up if I miss a meal. Nice in some ways, but a real pain as I can't add an ounce of bulk at the gym.

Back