Working out to lose weight

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buddy system?

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Current Weight: 198 lbs (Will verify that I still weigh this tonight)Waist: ~35" ... my 34" pants are a bit tight and 36" are a bit loose

Goal Weight: 175 lbs and 34" pants fitting well. Need to eliminate the muffin top and chest flab, tone up, and comfortably fit into my slim straight Levis again.

%: -13%

Strategy:

Cut out all sugary drinks. No more roach coach lunches, only one cheat day a week tops. Dinners primarily of chicken or fish with a side salad, earlier in the evening. No more microwave food, white bread, or junk dinners. Start working in some early exercise just to get the metabolism going (perfect pushups), then purchase and work into the P90X routine, albeit modified some for joint problems.

Vice(s):

Schedule-related fast food, soda, picking between meals, eating until I'm stuffed rather than content.

Good eating habits are so hard to maintain on the jobsite. For the first five years out of school I had to literally shovel it down while working or in my truck.......

Good eating habits are so hard to maintain on the jobsite. For the first five years out of school I had to literally shovel it down while working or in my truck.......

On site isn't that bad for me here. The problem was the last few months I was in Houston I was traveling all the time/prepping to move. On the road it was fast food, then when moving, I didn't want to "restock" at the grocery store, so it was grab Taco bell and go. The same went for the first few weeks after the move here when I was still living out of a hotel. I also lost the time to work out in Houston, and now have no gym here in NC.

Current weight - 255 (ouch! more than i thought)

Goal weight - 200

dont care about pant size. want to look leaner and if that puts me in size 32, then so be it! :)

What team am i on!?

RG - just need your goal at the finish line - I threw in 200 for a placeholder right now.

Hts are missing on a few, but I don't know if it's that important.

DV/VT - When we start, do you want to begin a new thread?

Last edited by a moderator:
My height is 5'3". And I wanted to point out that my goal weight might not be realistic in 4 months, but that is ultimately what I'm hoping to end up at.

I guess I never answered the other questions:

Strategy: monitor portion sizes, restrict alcohol consumption :( , I also have a gym membership that I haven't been using. In fact, I've been paying for monthly personal training sessions that have been accumulating (Luckily I don't lose them) so I'm going to find a PT that I can work with 2 or 3 times a week.

Vices: Peanut butter & chocolate candy bars (Twix, Reese’s, M&Ms, etc), pasta, fast food and pacific NW microbrews. the last one in particular is going to be hard to restrict, since my coworkers just found a little place near work that has $9.50 microbrew pitchers.

I'll have to get you a more accurate beginning weight tonight.... the last time I weighed myself was before Halloween, and definitely before our work-Thanksgiving lunch(es) this week.... I'm typically around 215, but I'll see what the scale says tonight...

As for contests/etc... I'm just wanting to lose the weight, and feel like I'm not alone in trying...

Is it too late to get in on this one? This is a great thread! I've been working on the road a lot lately and haven't been able to get into a good diet and exercise routine. Lots of fast food in the car.

I'm 5'11", and up to 195 lbs. I'd like to get down to at least 175, which is what I weighed for years before recently.

Vices: Beer, too much fried greasy stuff, Mexican food (the beans and corn and hot peppers upset my digestion)

Goals: Get to second base with the girl in marketing...OK seriously, I don't have a good schedule for a gym right now, but I want to try some of the new treatments they have on the market. I thought Alli looked promising, but this review has me concerned. Review I’ll probably try it anyway as it’s a good way to make sure I don’t eat much fat for fear of the side effects if I do. Also, thislooked like another good product. It’s all natural, plus I’d love to get some of that impacted gunk out of my gut, and maybe post some pics to their website.

So, how do I get signed up for this?

inspiration for you fellas out there, you guys aren't immune from the back boobs either

572.jpg

quick question. Do we need to post before and after pics? and if we do, do we post them in the funny pics thread? LOL

Lets keep the photos fully clothed if they do. I have no desire to see anyone here nude, in their underpants, or in spandex. Except maybe TX, since we've already seen her Rocky Horror ensemble.

Don't see VT or DV. I had one last "hurrah" this Friday lunch. Ate a nice big bbq pork sandwich. Now I have remorse. I did leave some of it on the plate, but **** am I full.

Here's my challenge to everyone (mostly for me) this weekend and next week (Turkey week)...

1. Leave food on your plate. If you are used to eating large quantities, fill your plate up with smaller portions, if you go out to eat and the portions are HUGE - don't finish - leave enough to get the 2nd meal out of it. Same as I think RW and maybe wilheld said...

2. Start some semblance of a workout if you don't have one already. If you already belong to a gym, mark it on your calendar to get there. DON'T overdue it, but put enough effort behind the workout to push yourself. If you haven't been to a Dr. in a long time - setup that appt. I am going to try to get in to do some baseline blood work on my cholesterol and as we go along, I want to see if it get's "acceptable"... otherwise it's the chol lowering drugs for me. If you already have a workout - then rededicate to it, or push yourself a little harder to get more out of it. The more muscle you build - the more calories you burn.

Can't do it all in a week, we are starting a long journey. Make the changes in your life permanent. Don't think of it as a diet or a I will lose wt to a certain point and then stop. The things you want to change have reasons to change. I want to change. I want to be healthier. I want to see my grandkids and not be my Dad who died of a heart attack at 52.

I'm smart enough, I'm good enough, and dog gone it, people like me.

stinking-thinking-depression-help-thoughts1.jpg

Seriously though. A new life starts today. Everyone has set goals from around 10% to almost 30% wt loss. You know you can do it, all you have to do is make it a priority. Good luck!

** I know I'm going home tonight to try and "run" off this **** mistake of a lunch...

Back