Working out to lose weight

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buddy system?

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
LOST A LOT ALREADY OR PRETTY GOOD TO GO NOW:wilheld - the bombdiggity - you can decide if you want to join in or watch, you sir are my hero. That's awesome!
I'll watch and heckle. My weight isn't moving much any more, nor do I think it needs to. I'm just doing routines now to move my remaining fat to muscle in other places on my body.

I won't be partaking in the fun, as I am not in the paramters (I'm 6'0", 195). My problenm is that my muscle mass sux, and I've got the married gut. I'm going to be riding my bike about 500 miles in a week this coming June, and need to get in shape for that. Lean muscle mass is what I'm going for, since I'll be riding over six mountain passes over 10,000 feet. I've got an indoor trainer, and my office here at work is big enough for my bike and the trainer, so I'll be riding during lunch (inside), and once the snow is deep enough, I'll be cross-country and alpine skiing, trying to get my legs in shape. Ideally, I'd like to get down to 175, but I have not weighed that since my crew days in college.

I should probably get involved.... Dr. says I should be around 175ish (160 is the "based on height" ideal), and I'm looking at around 215 right now (about 5'-7"ish).... Currently, I'm in process of gutting and remodeling the bathroom, so workout time is basically swinging a hammer, hefting drywall, and/or beating a cast iron tub into manageable pieces...

We've got a cheapy version of a gym in our basement... a borrowed treadmill (going on 4 years now)... an elliptical and a stationary bike that we got at our church yard sale for $50 a piece.... the wife and I talk about making time for riding/walking/etc frequently, but home improvement tends to take a forefront...

So......

Current Stats

Wt: 215

Goal

Wt: 175

%: -19%

Strategy

use the bike/treadmill and try to eat better....

Vice(s)

Chocolate, peanut butter... not eating right.... over eating the bad stuff....

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd like to join. At 5'9", I got back from vacation with wife at 245, after wrestling college at 125 lbs. I started weight watchers the day after I got back and am down 35 pounds so far. I've been running pretty regularly but could definitely stand to lose another 30ish.

I won't be in for it either. I'm 5'-11" and 165 lbs.

I'd love to cheer people on though!!

I'm at 195, want to get to 165... don't think we set limits on participation... However, the pool may go to the person losing the most weight. We don't even have to do a pool - maybe the winner get's to have a candle lit dinner with VT.

it's a little early, but here's my stats:

Wt: 195, 34 jeans are TIGHT, 36 jeans need a belt.

Goal

Wt: 165

%: -15%

Strategy

use the bike/treadmill Plus some upper body workout and try to eat better....

Vice(s)

Chocolate, I'm a sucker for anything chocolate as long as I get it with a VERY cold glass of milk.

PS - thanks my accountability buddies, just knowing that I am posting this has kept me out of the damn vending machines at work this afternoon...

Butters_South_Park.jpg

^ Re: Butters

I've got something in my front pocket for you

Why don't you reach down in my pocket and see what it is

Then grab onto it, it's just for you

Give a little squeeze and say, "How do you do?"

There's something in my front pocket, There's something in my front pocket,

There's something in my front pocket-

How much green we want to put in? $5 , $10? Think we will need some before pictures / after pictures?
I would nominate VT or DV to hold the money...
I can hold the $$, I don't think it'd be right if I got in the contest anyway. I've lost over 500 lbs. in the course of my various contest prep etc. (of course that means I've gained back 500 as well).

What if we do this full blown BIGGEST LOSER style, and create two teams like we did on survivor, and I can "coach" one team, we'd need someone to coach another, and we could have team forums to track progress, etc. Weekly or Bi-weekly 'kick-off' votes could be taken.

just a thought

I'm in halfway decent shape, just completely different than you. I've weighed within 5 lbs one way or the other since college. I'll gladly coach a team into looking like sickly young schoolgirls against your breed of superman.

It means if push comes to shove, we can run (or ride) away faster.

I want to be on the team with the sickly young schoolgirls. Wait a minute, I read that wrong.

3. Let VT decide based on before and after pictures
I'd be up for that. But I really think it's best if female members post nude shots, so I can really size up everything and be as impartial as possible. :reading:

maybe the winner get's to have a candle lit dinner with VT.
I'm actually a pretty mean chef. I like cooking healthy.

Winner gets a no expenses flight to Boston, car bus service provided whenever they feel like it by Logan Express, and luxurious accomodations on my futon. Featuring complimentary wake up calls in the form of my dog's tongue and a your choice of whatever is leftover in the fridge for breakfast.

Entertainment will consist of being forced to sit through 2 hour of pictures from my last vacation.

I've got to be on DVINNY's team, because my body likes to turn everything to fat or muscle.

I'm at 169 and I should ideally be at 150 for healthy BMI. That said, I've never held onto 150 without a lot of work, because once I start working out, I bulk up.

Waist- 34ish

Chest-44

I'd like to lose two inches off of those.

Plan of Attack: Walking in the mornings, like I previously had been doing but fell off the wagon from illness. I've got a walking buddy. I'd like to start lifting a bit in the evenings. Cutting back on putting everything in my mouth. Last Christmas we had a work health incentive and it really helped me...I lost 6 pounds and I did it not by some crazy diet but by thinking, "Do I really want to eat what I'm about to put in my mouth or am I just eating out of boredom/expectation/stupid reasons." It made me a more mindful eater.

Vices: Sugar. I'm a sucker for candy, which could explain why I put on weight around Halloween.

I don't care either way if I get money, because I don't think I'm in position to lose a huge percentage alone, but I'm happy to have a group of people in the same boat. That makes me more mindful too.

I think me and VT being coaches, with RG as moderator would be fun.

I finally went back to the gym yesterday after 2 months off. I got a while to go to get back to form. The guys at the gym noticed immediately that I was down about 25 lbs. and wanted to know how to skip the gym for 2 months and lose 25 lbs.

I told them that I had actually just gained 20+ lbs. over the last 3 weeks, and they should have seen me 4 weeks ago. :D

After a while, I clued them into what had happened to me, none of them had heard. It was fun to mess with them a little bit about it.

My advice for you aspiring losers...

...be mindful of how much you eat. I didn't start losing weight until I paid attention to how much I was eating. I was working out regularly but I wasn't losing any weight. My diet as far as what I was eating was fine, I'd just eat more of it then I should. I really started seeing results when I cut down on the quantity I ate. I didn't change anything else in my diet other then that. Don't eat until you feel full, just eat until you no longer feel hungry. Try eating smaller portions and eating more slowly. It takes a while for your body to let you know you aren't hungry anymore. If you eat to quickly you tend to over eat. A trick I used (and still do) is to eat off a smaller plate. It prevents me from putting to much food on my plate. If I'm still hungry after I finish that there is nothing stopping me from getting more. When I go to restaurant I always get a to go box. I pretty much plan on only eating half of what they bring me and taking the other half home for later. It's win win for you. You don't over eat and you save money b/c you've just turned one meal into two. :)

Keep in mind losing weight is a simple equation of calories in versus calories out. If you consume more calories then you burn you will gain weight. If you burn more than you consume, you'll lose weight. And you don't have to give up your favorite food vices, you just need to moderate how much of them you consume. Try eating just one slice of cake instead of the whole damn thing fatty. ;)

OK here's my stats --

Current Weight: 185 lbs

Waist: ~35" ... my 34" pants are a bit tight and 36" are a bit loose

Goal Weight: 165 lbs and 34" pants fitting well. Want to be able to wear the slim fit dress shirts without feeling like the buttons are screaming "nooo!"

%: -11% (-20 lbs).

Strategy:

Membership to Gold's Gym with the wife... run, maybe do a beginners triatholon workout. Would like to do a sprint triatholon this summer.

Vice(s):

Crackers/Chips... after-dinner snacking. Beer doesn't help much either. At lease not in the quantity I like to drink it in.

Back