Working out to lose weight

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buddy system?

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I can send you some bulk if you'd like it. Then I'd get ahead in the contest!

I think $5 is good, but I don't know if VTE would be a good choice...he might spend it on scrapbooking supplies. Instead of the pot of money, the winner would get a frilly book full of before pictures.

I'm 5'9", about 170, average enough build. Not that strong, not that fast, just regularly active doing something. I've weighed the same thing since grad school. I'm stricter about diet than exercise.
I also have a metabolism where I shrivel up if I miss a meal. Nice in some ways, but a real pain as I can't add an ounce of bulk at the gym.
This is my issue as well. I can drink a 12 pack of soda per week and I can still make my highschool wrestling weight 10 years later. If I go more than about 3-4 hours without eating I get horrible sugar-low shakes. My wife hates it because she is trying to lose weight while I am trying to gain. We really have to have 2 completely seperate diets.

I am actually a little more extreme with my weight than VTE. I have NEVER weighed more than 150, and I couldn't dream of ever weighing 200 unless I could strap a barbell to my back. I know you guys think "oh that sounds like a *real* problem," but it really sucks when I actually WANT to gain weight but can only do so by consuming insane amounts of calories per day. I have consulted with a dietician about trying to bulk up and his main concern is that if I do, I run the strong risk of distroying my metabolism.

I'm in. Whatever the ante ends up being, sounds worth the extra "motivation".

Where is the designated, calibrated weigh in? Are we on the honor system? You may not want any bare belly before pics... just fair warning, it's not pretty and I don't think I feel that comfortable sharing that with the whole world.

I think % of wt is nearer to the best way to measure wt loss - but it will be MORE difficult for those with less weight to lose. As well - if you begin lifting or building muscle, then expect that you might not lose weight but lose inches. When I was working out 2 years ago, I didn't lose any weight for like 3 months, but I dropped 2" around the waist.

Anything to help me out and have that "accoutability" will help.

When do we start? How will we keep stats / goals / etc?

I think the honors system will work just fine. I mean, if you want to cheat a $5 pot honors system on EB.com, you are indeed the biggest loser.

Yes, it is easier for the bigger folk to lose the %, but we're probably the hardest to get motivated to get off our asses and lose it, so it's a bit of a trade off.

Perhaps we make Friday the 20th the first official weigh in, and we can just check in with status reports whenever we feel, or every Friday.

Maybe we set an approx. 3 month period. I'm thinking Friday, March 5 as final weigh-ins?

^ It's a good timeframe to use if you want to fight off the holiday bulge...

Anyone can go lose weight when the weather is grand and there's no food temptation. If you can make it through the winter months, then the rest is easy, and you're in shape just in time for Spring to roll around so you can get out and enjoy the outdoors.

Hmm...I have wanted to get this 5lbs (uh...maybe 10) off forever. Maybe this is the motivation I need. I don't think I can win since I don't want to lose that much and some of you guys seem very disciplined, but posting my weight online for everyone to see might be a good motivator

I'll post my weigh-in info and some measurements to keep me motivated, but I'm not trying to lose any weight. It's also going to hurt since I'm going to Peru for about 16 days over Christmas.

No way I can be part of this weight loss bet. I've already lost my pseudo-goal of 15 and will have very few opportunities to workout until... maybe... early next year.

Perhaps to offset the advantage the larger people have you guys could pair off and do a team competition, "Biggest Loser" style. Total combined lost weight between the pair vs the same for each of the other pairs.

Just a thought

I wanna get in on this... I've been up and down quite a bit this past year. After I left the military I gained about 15-20 lbs and was tipping the 200 lb mark... then last year I started losing weight, seemingly for no reason. At first I thought "Hey this is awesome, I'm losing weight and not really trying..." but when I got down to 170 I thought there was a problem. I went to get a physical, and the doctor came back with a shocker and told me I had diabetes. She said the reason I was losing weight was because my body wasn't burning bloodsugar for energy, so it was burning fat instead.

I had to buy new clothes because my pants (36" waist) and shirts were now too big.

So they put me on some pills, and my blood sugar came down, but now my weight has gone back up. I'm at about 185 now, and back into my big pants.

My wife also just had oue 3rd kiddo so that may have a bit to do with the weight gain. So I want to go back to the gym, and trying to get a membership at the local Golds to start.

I would like to see the winner eat that huge burger they serve in PA!!!

cheeseburger.jpg

barfing_girl300.jpg

I think % of wt is nearer to the best way to measure wt loss - but it will be MORE difficult for those with less weight to lose. As well - if you begin lifting or building muscle, then expect that you might not lose weight but lose inches. When I was working out 2 years ago, I didn't lose any weight for like 3 months, but I dropped 2" around the waist.
that is always my problem, I lose the inches but not the weight. I'd love to play, but i need to be adding calories to my diet instead of decreasing to feed my son. But hopefully that will take the pounds off in of itself...about 5 pounds to pre prego weight.

How do I get into this? I am looking to lose around 80 pounds myself. I tip the scales at 295, my personal best. Funny how when I graduated High School and went into the Air Force I weighed in at a wet 129 pounds. I don't plan on loosing 80 pounds in 3 months, but will do my best. This Baby Huey look I have going on is not working for me.

I guess we should start by getting a list of who is definitely in. Maybe touchdown can add a poll over whether we want to pair off or not. We can do a spreadsheet and have an official weigh-in on Friday.

OK then, Friday 11/20 is weigh in, deadline is by Friday Midnight Eastern time

So far we have:

WANT TO LOSE WT:

Supe

Capn W

RG

Frazil

csb - already started

snick?

MechGuy

TouchDown

Humner

LOST A LOT ALREADY OR PRETTY GOOD TO GO NOW:

wilheld - the bombdiggity - you can decide if you want to join in or watch, you sir are my hero. That's awesome!

Ble - not wanting to lose wt - but should post strength results week by week (ie. bench press, etc.)

Dexman - want to gain wt but afraid to kill metabolism - see ble, if you want to join in...

RoadWreck - lookin good

WANT TO JOIN, BUT WILL BE A little BUSY: (it's hard with kids, we'll be here when you're ready)

Master Slacker - going to be too busy... Maybe next round

For everyone participating, submit the following: (if anyone has anything else to add, type it in!!!)

1. Current Stats: Wt, Waist Sz, etc (for those adding bulk, whatever your goal is, put current)

2. Goals: (match top line with goals for each) - add % of current wt for goal

3. Explain how you are going to get there (this is kind of an extension of goals)

4. Favorite Vice

Ends March 5th, 2010

We need to have the group decide on how we identify the WINNER.

1. % of wt lost, % of wt gained

2. Met goal or exceeded goal (regardless of goal)

3. Let VT decide based on before and after pictures

Last edited by a moderator:
Back