The Pet Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm  pretty hesitant when it comes to recommending dog supplements, foods, etc.  But I have had REALLY good luck with Nupro Joint Supplement + Glucosamine for my senior hounds.  We've gone through our first five pound tub of the stuff, and there has been an appreciable difference in their activity levels.  Annie in particular went from slowing down noticeably due to arthritis, to being back to her old self.  Ursala would get whole body muscle shakes after running/prolonged exercise, and that seems to have subsided as well.  They are both more active and playful, and have been doing more zoomies/chasing in the back yard - way more than most other nearly-10 year old greyhounds you come across.  

https://www.amazon.com/Nupro-Joint-Support-Glucosamine-lbs/dp/B01IO8WMCS/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=nupro&qid=1589197596&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&smid=A1I29EKBJBATN4&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExUUdGQjlUWjNNNkhZJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNjkyMDQ3TjlDSFMzUlpOVzk4JmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAwNTQ1MTEzNUZDOFpWOFlDUEtKJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

I can’t recall what the docs gave her but it is working - probably too good- she has been begging me to throw the frisbee for her (which I oblige 2 times) cause she probably doesn’t need to jump and run too much at 14.

She also gets her own box of chicky nuggys from the drive through at chic fil a
f283eca28e7a2df2d3be99c9f73a6f39.jpg

Wait. @Supe, you have greyhounds?  Pics and more info, please.  I am thinking of getting a dog in maybe a year or two and I'm getting into my favorite phase of things: obsessively researching.  I kinda want a sight hound, I love the look of them, and greyhounds and a tiny bit sturdier than the others.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you ever heard, "even chickens have enough sense to get out of the rain"?  Well, they don't, really.  Here's our (lone) silkie after a bout with rain.  At least she can see now.

IMG_0908.JPG

Wait. @Supe, you have greyhounds?  Pics and more info, please.  I am thinking of getting a dog in maybe a year or two and I'm getting into my favorite phase of things: obsessively researching.  I kinda want a sight hound, I love the look of them, and greyhounds and a tiny bit sturdier than the others.
Yes, I have two retired racers, who are sisters/litter mates (see first two pages of the thread).  I can tell you just about anything you need to know about them.  Unfortunately with Florida's bullshit legislation shutting the tracks down, they are going to be increasingly difficult to adopt moving forward.  

Have you ever heard, "even chickens have enough sense to get out of the rain"?  Well, they don't, really.  Here's our (lone) silkie after a bout with rain.  At least she can see now.

*pic snip*
I have heard the exact opposite.  That you need to bring your chickens/turkeys/poultry inside because they'll look up when it starts raining and they'll drown themselves.  Because they're idiots.

We've had a hard couple of days with our 15.5 year old boy. On Tuesday he suddenly became disoriented, lost control of his bowels, and became very wobbly. After getting better yesterday, he woke up this morning not wanting to eat and still unable to walk very well. He has a distinct head tilt to the right and will fall to that side often, so our first thought was a stroke. We just got back from the vet and he said that his initial thought is geriatric vestibular syndrome, which matches his symptoms well. He said it could very easily be a stroke as well, but the only way to diagnose that is via MRI and the treatment (or lack thereof) is the same. He gave him a shot for nausea and some fluids, took some blood for bloodwork, and told us we have to nurse him for the next several days. Hopefully he recovers and something worse isn't causing this. This dog has been with us since my wife and I basically started dating because he was her birthday present from me about 6 months after we started going out, so he's going to be unbelievably hard to say goodbye to. I just hope we still have a little while before that happens.

so sorry to here this Ble  I hope he takes a turn for the better. 

We've had a hard couple of days with our 15.5 year old boy. On Tuesday he suddenly became disoriented, lost control of his bowels, and became very wobbly. After getting better yesterday, he woke up this morning not wanting to eat and still unable to walk very well. He has a distinct head tilt to the right and will fall to that side often, so our first thought was a stroke. We just got back from the vet and he said that his initial thought is geriatric vestibular syndrome, which matches his symptoms well. He said it could very easily be a stroke as well, but the only way to diagnose that is via MRI and the treatment (or lack thereof) is the same. He gave him a shot for nausea and some fluids, took some blood for bloodwork, and told us we have to nurse him for the next several days. Hopefully he recovers and something worse isn't causing this. This dog has been with us since my wife and I basically started dating because he was her birthday present from me about 6 months after we started going out, so he's going to be unbelievably hard to say goodbye to. I just hope we still have a little while before that happens.
So our little old man has recovered very well from this incident thankfully. The only real effects that we still notice is the fact that he has a head tilt to his right side. However I would like to ask for prayers, thoughts, or whatever for this guy because he is having surgery today to remove a growth in his mouth. The doctor is thinking that it could be cancer, but there is still hope that it is benign, so that's what we're praying for. I hate having to put him under anesthesia at his age, but it's really the only way because the growth would eventually interfere with his ability to eat. So I dropped him off this morning and now it's just a waiting game.

Anyone here familiar with huskys? I’m wondering about the growth/development of our puppy. She only weighed in at 13.7 lbs at 12 weeks, and her coat has been getting darker. I thought the coat lightens? Note: she had a very very bad worm infestation when we picked her up at 5 weeks. Finally received negative worm tests at 12 weeks. Maybe this is why she’s got some abnormal things going on? Wondering if there could be other health issues to look for.

Of course, vet appointments now are a drop off from car, pick up from car, so not much speaking to the vet.

The worms will have a huge impact on the dogs ability to gain weight.  Some dogs change coat colors with the seasons, but there is a lot that can cause changes ranging from mange to thyroid disorders.  

Latest posts

Back