The Pet Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The family has been wanting to get another pet since we got here. Problem is that the rental market is so competitive that most landlords have a blanket "no pets" policy, and the ones that do allow pets are houses that are so torn to shit you would never want to live in (let alone raise a family).

We have a dog and a cat back home living with my parents from when we lived in Colorado, but the costs to ship them here is in excess of $5k and the process can take several months. Couldn't really bring them because of the rental issue anyways. We were told we could probably bring a cat, but only if it's an outside cat (no litter boxes at all and food left outside). 

As a consolation, we have since had a cat move into the crawlspace under the house. We leave food out for her and I've given her a flea/worm treatment. She's really friendly, but does get very skittish after dark. Only thing left is to take her in to see a vet to confirm she's healthy and to make sure we don't end up with kittens.

16864757_1630489056964448_4701759331324256412_n.jpg

It's been a rough month for cats in my family.  My aunt and uncle in Texas had 2 cats.  One of them had been sick for years, and they were on the verge of "making the decision."  My parents were down there visiting them 2 weeks ago, and their OTHER cat goes outside, randomly has a heart attack, and dies on the spot.  My cat crashes, and I have to put him down on Tuesday.  My aunt and uncle's sick cat crashes and has to be put down today.  3 weeks, 3 cats.  This sucks.

I think the cats we had that were indoor / outdoor cats were always healthier- they get exercise, get to do their nocturnal thing, keep rodents away from the house.  when we moved and brought our cat here we left it inside due to not being familiar with the neighborhood AND the coyote droppings in the front yard.. but he gained a shit ton of weight and was just always miserable. he ended up dying of seizures. I know its not a popular concept for some but they are really meant to be outside animals.  We always gets spring mice in our garage and wish I had an old tom cat to eat those mother phuckers!

The family has been wanting to get another pet since we got here. Problem is that the rental market is so competitive that most landlords have a blanket "no pets" policy, and the ones that do allow pets are houses that are so torn to shit you would never want to live in (let alone raise a family).

We have a dog and a cat back home living with my parents from when we lived in Colorado, but the costs to ship them here is in excess of $5k and the process can take several months. Couldn't really bring them because of the rental issue anyways. We were told we could probably bring a cat, but only if it's an outside cat (no litter boxes at all and food left outside). 

As a consolation, we have since had a cat move into the crawlspace under the house. We leave food out for her and I've given her a flea/worm treatment. She's really friendly, but does get very skittish after dark. Only thing left is to take her in to see a vet to confirm she's healthy and to make sure we don't end up with kittens.
My brother raises old english bulldogs and has them flown all over the country for around $300.

That looks exactly like our cat.  

Quit feeding my cat, asshole!  I don't want her to move to New Zealand!

My brother raises old english bulldogs and has them flown all over the country for around $300.
It's the international aspect that jacks the prices up. New Zealand is one of the hardest countries to import an animal to because of their environmental regulations. They only allow cats & dogs from a limited number of countries and they also allow rabbits and guinea pigs from Australia. Importing requires about 6 months of periodic vet checkups and shots beforehand, a stack of paperwork (through a pet exporting company, most international airlines won't touch an animal if you DIY), special locking pet carriers, an overnight stay in San Francisco or LA, certified agents to load/unload the animals (customs), and two weeks of boarding/quarantine upon arrival.

We could get the pets to SF/LA any way we wanted, but it would have only knocked off $800 from their quote.

My cat gets really stressed when traveling and will stop eating for 2 days just for a 30 min drive to/from the vet. I have no idea how well she'd handle 24+ hours of travel and 2 weeks of quarantine...

Last edited by a moderator:
are chihuahua's on the bully dog list...those little buggers are wicked.  puntable, but still mean and bullying.  

In today's version of unimportant news of the day:

Denver ranked best place for pets to live

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/local-news/denver-ranked-no-1-on-trulias-list-of-best-places-for-pets-to-live
Does Denver still have Breed Specific Language and outlaws bully breeds? 

I am glad I am with State Farm.

https://newsroom.statefarm.com/2015-09-29-all-dog-breeds-deserve-a-chance

I can't see how anywhere that discriminates against breeds would be called best place for pets to live. 

Last edited by a moderator:
The intent of my link was to be sarcastic, like anyone really gives a shit where is a good place for a dog to live i.e. they are just dogs........

like anyone really gives a shit where is a good place for a dog to live i.e. they are just dogs........
And it's that attitude that causes so many dogs from the south to be "rescued" and adopted in the north. 

:)

link?

dog should be happy to have home, should not be concerned with how many "dog parks" are close by......

I'd say Alaska must be the best place for a dog to live, because think about what a dog can aspire to.  It can't be president (well, maybe after 2016).  About the best thing a dog can do is win the world series of the dog world:  The Iditarod.  Can't do that in Denver or New York.  So Alaska is where dog dreams are alive.

I  would argue that if you're a dog and someone is buying you food, providing you a warm bed, vet care, getting you exercise, etc, you have won the dog lotto!

Back