Fitness Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've decided to poo-poo pull-ups as that has aggravated my wrist in the past.  Instead, I use bands in a simulated pull-up the best I can (back flies and what not).  Still doing the P90X thing, but not as rigorously as the program recommends.  Three or four days per week is good enough for me without taking too much time away from the family.  Push-up heavy yesterday and my chest is sore.  **** I love this feeling.  :th_rockon:  
Was going to suggest the bands indeed. Just use some of the heavier type and add reps. You'll likely get a very similar burn. You could also try the straps for extra wrist support but you don't want to over do it until you probably get back into a rhythm. Building muscle around the wrist after you get back into the workouts will also help.

One of the better weight-loss programs I've done to date has been triathlon training. :thumbs:  But I suppose that was also just diligence in getting out and being more active. Though it helped as a motivator to have an event to work towards. Especially one that was rather intimidating to me.

best weight loss program for me has been not eating like a bear getting ready for hibernation.
I don't think I eat that much but when it's really cold maybe it's natural to want to load up and sleep.

Extreme diarrhea has always worked wonders for me. Just gotta find a good source for cholera or giardia.
I bet getting addicted to crack will produce similar weight loss results.

Speaking of fitness/gyms.  I went to the gym this morning (during "polar freeze") only to find out the hard way that the showers at the gym had no hot water.  Bad enough it's cold outside but then to have a very cold shower after working out really sucked.

I'm up to running 2x a week (meager, but not terrible) and am on day 9 of the 30 day (6 days a week, so 5 weeks total) challenge I'm doing. After being below my normal level of activity for the holidays (combined with a lot of holiday cookies... Aka not the best combination for optimal health), it's been nice being back in a regular workout routine.

Thirty minutes a day, Sundays off. I'm also doing meals from the meal plan associated with this challenge, which so far have been filling and pretty good tasting, which is probably helping a lot too.

I'm already feeling stronger and noticing positive changes in my abs/arms, and am feeling sore in many more places. It feels good!

Yay for getting our butts in gear!

Jesus...

747_custom-3597e50ffdf94549c13dab53d2b7e8582cdc4b7e-s800-c85.jpg

beadnose_custom-0e58195a14655f9436cc13ced8d6daa1fc5da1e1-s800-c85.jpg

Looks like he's switched from salmon run to Long John Silvers!

I'm at 172.4 lb this morning, which means I'm in the ten pound range for my goal for the weight loss challenge. The first few weeks of calorie monitoring always suck, because the scale does nothing and I have to go off faith that it will move. Today is that day. 

I've practically disregarded the scale.  A downward turn is welcome, but in the past few years I've been better at looking at my basic physique.  If the scale doesn't move for a month, but my biceps have better shape, then awesome.  If I can pinch less in my midsection, great.  My main goal is to pinch A LOT less on my tummy when flexing.  That's the one that irks me the most.

I have a whole new set of pants that now fit! 

FWIW, I haven't given up candy. However, it gets measured out and tracked, just like everything else I'm eating. Is it less candy? Yep. Is it a small amount of candy? Nope. I'm basically any given child from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. 

I also avoid "eating back" any of my exercise calories. I'm not going full out on anything right now, so it's working. 

I'm also pretty hooked on Zwift. It's like playing The Sims, but I'm less likely to try to make my character die. 

would it be wrong to go out and re buy some of my wife's clothes (I was  thinking undies and her "lounge around the house pants")a size larger than what she has so that she will think 3 weeks into her new xfit class she is already seeing massive  results?

If anyone remembers the ski patrol movie where the gave the really short guy growth pills and then slowly replaced his shoes and clothes a little bit each night to make him think he was growing?

You could do the opposite if she's spending too much on the classes.  Saving money is always good for a marriage.

17.5 pounds down in 45 days on keto.  plan on running this another 45 days and go from there.  big positives other than weight loss, my BP is down from 160-170 / 95 to 130/80  at the DR offfice!( which never happens even when i was on meds!) my home readings have been between 115-130 / 75-80.

I getting stronger! I'm getting stronger! 

I've been going to Ninja Playground for about a month and I'm starting to see some actual improvements in what I can do. Even the coach mentioned that I was getting stronger. I still look ridiculous trying most things, but I'm not failing on as many of them. 

I'm in week 5 of my 5 week challenge. And I have my book club tonight, so this Leggo is going to attempt to do a run on her lunch break!

Otherwise, I don't have a scale, but I know this challenge has been great for me, both in terms of getting stronger, toning up, and just getting myself back in the routine of working out regularly. I have done every single workout on every single day, without making any excuses! I've found the time to do 30 minutes a day, and it's paying off.

The combination with the accompanying meal plan seems to be producing great results, also. My fiance still keeps claiming that he doesn't see how some of the meals we eat are healthy, mainly because this meal plan is definitely cheese and pasta friendly, which is a large departure from our diet previously. But we haven't had anything we didn't like, and have definitely found some good recipes going forward. We've also cut way down on pre-packaged lunches (salads and wraps) at the store by function of pretty much always making leftovers the night before. That's not rocket science, but it definitely wasn't always the case before we got on this meal plan.

Back