Fitness Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i totally think you should eat a bunch of TB and then do burpees with them!  Gas them all out.

I went to one class at the request of the owner and was actually able to do some double unders - apparently that is a big deal, I just don't have the $180 a month

bb2.gif

so I fell on ice in my driveway A week ago Monday and went down hard on my right side with my arm down by my side and my body fell on my arm with my elbow at my rib cage.  My side really hurt and sleeping was a PITA as I could only lay on my left side.  Lying on my back or my right side was too painful.  It was feeling better and I went to the gym on wednesday and did a leg workout.  Had a session with my trainer on thursday (minor aches but it felt ok) and we did a decent chest/back workout.  Well I woke up Friday and could barely move.  Freaking side was killing me whenever I reached out with my right arm.  I went to the urgent care and had it x-rayed as I suspected a had a broken rib, etc.  They said nothing showed and it's probably just bruised.  I took it easy over the weekend and slept in a recliner because it was more comfortable.  I went back to the gym on Tuesday (yesterday) and just used the elliptical for ~35 minutes.  I tried the crunch machine and NFW...it hurt.  Still sleeping on the recliner but chest/ribs/right side still hurt if I move the wrong way and coughing/sneezing/blowing my nose is pretty painful/uncomfortable.  How long do you figure it takes for this to get back to normal?  Think I should stretch at all or just leave it be?  I'm thinking I should go see a doctor/physical therapist but i don't want to go needlessly.  I really want to keep getting some exercise but I don't want to impede the healing process.  Any thought or suggestions?  It sucks getting old.

Anyone ever have their spouse make spaghetti, but instead of using spaghetti noodles they used shredded zucchini?

Is this grounds for divorce?
Sounds like she is trying to poison you. Better start sleeping with one eye open...

^ Silver Gulch Brewery in Fairbanks (hey @akwooly!) had a great zuchini pasta and scallops dish that even I could enjoy, but I only had it a few times because I would usually be tempted by the less healthy things. Given my cholesterol levels I just got back, I should have stuck to the zucchini. 

@MA_PE It's been a long time since I broke a rib, but my recollection is that it took a few months to get back to normal. I think the general guidance for any broken bone is 6 weeks, but a rib can't be held tight like an arm or finger in a cast, so it can take longer.  Especially if you're constantly moving it by trying to exercise all the time.  but hey, I'm not a doctor so you should probably ask one! 

MA: I would just alternate ice and heat for now.  May be a few weeks depending how bad it was, but I would use being able to take a deep breath and reaching overhead without pain as a benchmark when to return.

@Dleg and @Supe  thanks for your input.  So far I've been just taking Tylenol regularly.  Being the right side that aches it's difficult to apply ice or heat but I might try that tonight.  for piece of mind I might call a PT/sports medicine place for a dr appt to confirm it's nothing to get overly concerned about.

Anyone ever have their spouse make spaghetti, but instead of using spaghetti noodles they used shredded zucchini?

Is this grounds for divorce?
What are you, 8?  Eat your damn vegetables!!!

We've done these.  Got the little as-seen-on-TV doodad to make your own or you can buy them premade at Aldi.  They are fine, but the wife started doing spaghetti squash and it is pretty good.  Comes out similar consistency as regular noodles and they don't really taste much different...cause even regular pasta basically just tastes like whatever sauce you put on them.

Zoodles are best if sauteed in butter and coated in salt. 

My mom bruised a rib a few years back and it took months to be normal. 

My main rib-breaking experience was falling out of a white water raft while on vacation in Bali, and having the raft run aground on rocks with me underneath (yes as dumb as it sounds). One of the middle ribs cracked.  I was on vacation with my ex, and the worst thing was when we went horseback riding on the beach ( :ghey: ) a couple of days later. The pain was excruciating. As I recall, it took several months to get back to normal.  

A little more recently, I got the handle of my machete up under my rib cage as I was jumping down some rocks: it was in a scabbard on my belt, and the tip caught on a rock as I was going down and my entire body weight came down on the end of the handle for a moment and cracked the bottom rib. Once again, it took a few months to get better, but it was a lot less painful because it was the bottom rib.

Last edited by a moderator:
look this is the fitness thread, not the old man thread- that's on page two of this forum ;)

Back