Fitness Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Round is a shape!

I'm starting to crack down on the diet again.  I am opting into the rotator cuff surgery, which will drastically cut back on my upper body strength training.  I figure that's a good time to hone in on that 198# number while having absurdly huge quads by the end of 2019.

I'm still running and bike commuting at least a few times a week, but need to get back to my weight training. Running hills right now suckssss!

Last edited by a moderator:
Been larding up since Halloween night.  When things on this end DO begin settling down (soon), I'll be hitting the P90X thing again - not all hardcore, but 4-5 times per week to maybe drop below the double-century mark. 

The wife has decided to get back into the gym as the army is changing its PFT and I've been dragged, kicking and screaming, along with her.  Hurting all over at the moment as I've been out of the gym for 2 years.

my gym is my living room, because i commute forever M-Th. 

a friend of mine is a personal trainer and made the garage into a legit fitness gym, but I can't reasonably afford even the friends and family discount for training sessions. would love to help support her while supporting my goals. need more income for that. 

need to start searching for someone i want to tolerate long term that can contribute to my living expenses without limiting the freedom to do whatever i want whenever i want. :dunno:  

I have been "bulking" since halloween. the only way for me to gain any strength is to eat and eat but the +15 pounds i have added (i wish was all muscle) is making things like xc skiing and running difficult.  I have another 4 weeks on this current strength cycle before i switch and try to lean out some.

I have been "bulking" since halloween. the only way for me to gain any strength is to eat and eat but the +15 pounds i have added (i wish was all muscle) is making things like xc skiing and running difficult.  I have another 4 weeks on this current strength cycle before i switch and try to lean out some.
In that case I've been "bulking" the last two years :)

I was doing so good up through August when I went on vacation and just haven't been able to get back on a good routine since then, sucks to have to start this time of year fo shore!

I'm going to go next Saturday to our local Ninja Gym for the intro class. I kind of want to try an obstacle race, but I don't want to be the fat girl crying on the wall because I can't get my ass over the damn thing. We'll see if the gym is okay or not. 

I've been lifting now that it's winter and I'm starting to see baby muscles. I'd like to be really strong. Like, "Let me get that for you, little lady," to the guys at work strong. 

I'm not in the same league as you people but I've trying to eat better and exercise more.  I lost about 25 lbs and would like to lose another 25.  I've slacked off the past couple of weeks with holidays/vacation days but plan on getting back to it.  I signed with a trainer at the gym for a few months last year and think I'll go for once a week sessions for ~6 months.

Parallel Mrs. MA has been going to weight watchers and she lost about 35 lbs.  We were walking the local pond (2-3 miles) on a regular basis but the cold make sit easy to decide against that.  Just got to keep plugging along.

I joined the local rec center about a month ago, and have been swimming 1.5 km a session two to three times per week. The other weekdays, I've been trying to lift. It's just too damn cold to bike right now.

I'm going to go next Saturday to our local Ninja Gym for the intro class. I kind of want to try an obstacle race, but I don't want to be the fat girl crying on the wall because I can't get my ass over the damn thing. We'll see if the gym is okay or not. 

I've been lifting now that it's winter and I'm starting to see baby muscles. I'd like to be really strong. Like, "Let me get that for you, little lady," to the guys at work strong. 
Hey, you can't call us that! Only us guys can call each other that!

Hey wait a minute...

Our move across the Pacific has not been good for my exercise.... I have just now started to get back into running, but I have really slacked on strength training.  It's been tough moving into a new, smaller place. We only got the boxes cleared out of my designated exercise room last week, but there's still a lot of loose junk in there and I haven't been able to make floor space for any workouts, so it's just early morning runs down the tourist strip (which is pretty nice). 

one interesting thing about aging, though: this time, it seems like the consequence of me falling out of shape has been to lose weight, not gain it. I guess that's a post 50 thing?  My dad sure began to shrink up once he was about my age....

Been doing pretty good maintaining since triathlon season ended. Also signed up for my next one since it was 15% off before 12/31. Also been kicking around possibly doing an Iron Man this year too, but that still seems crazy to me. On the side, still alternating between P90X3 and 21-day Fix.  :DV:

I'm still out-of-shape; I just wanted to start the thread. 
I seriously doubt that given what events I see you participating in on FB.

I'm not in the same league as you people but I've trying to eat better and exercise more.
What do you mean "you people"? :huh:

Been larding up since Halloween night.  When things on this end DO begin settling down (soon), I'll be hitting the P90X thing again - not all hardcore, but 4-5 times per week to maybe drop below the double-century mark. 
Nice! :thumbs:

Last edited by a moderator:
Only us guys can call each other that!
I think "fat girl crying" is pretty universal.

this time, it seems like the consequence of me falling out of shape has been to lose weight
I'm betting its more a consequence of the move/travel and just not finding time to eat!

one interesting thing about aging, though: this time, it seems like the consequence of me falling out of shape has been to lose weight, not gain it. I guess that's a post 50 thing?  My dad sure began to shrink up once he was about my age....
From first-hand experience I can tell you that losing weight without trying post-50 is NOT a given...

What do you mean "you people"? :huh:
I mean you PX-90, triathlon, bike riding, running, fit people...

Been doing pretty good maintaining since triathlon season ended. Also signed up for my next one since it was 15% off before 12/31. Also been kicking around possibly doing an Iron Man this year too, but that still seems crazy to me.
I'm usually one to tell people to do all kinds of crazy things, but a full or even half IM is a big time commitment in training. Aren't you adding to the household this year? I'm pretty sure your wife would tear you apart and it has nothing to do with finding chocolate. I think Olympic might be a good distance to top out at with a newborn. 

I'm usually one to tell people to do all kinds of crazy things, but a full or even half IM is a big time commitment in training. Aren't you adding to the household this year? I'm pretty sure your wife would tear you apart and it has nothing to do with finding chocolate. I think Olympic might be a good distance to top out at with a newborn. 
Indeed. Hence the "considering" versus that of "committing". :thumbs:  I'm not too worried about the biking or running. It's that 2.5 mi swim that intimidates the #$%& out of me. I'll probably stick to the sprints this year and maybe try (1) Olympic/international competition. We'll see how ambitious I get. :dunno:

Sprint

750 m
(0.47 mi)

20 km
(12 mi)

5 km
(3.1 mi)

Half the Olympic distance. For pool-based races, a 400 or 500 m (1,300 or 1,600 ft) swim is common.

Olympic

1.5 km
(0.93 mi)

40 km
(25 mi)

10 km
(6.2 mi)

Also known as "international distance", "standard course", or "short course".

Triathlon 70.3

1.9 km
(1.2 mi)

90 km
(56 mi)

21.1 km
(13.1 mi)

Also known as "middle distance", "70.3" (total miles traveled), or "half-ironman".

ITU-Long Distance (O2)

3.0 km
(1.9 mi)

80 km
(50 mi)

20 km
(12 mi)

Double Olympic Distance[20] distance of the ITU Long Distance Triathlon World Championships 2007 and 2009.

Triathlon 140.6

3.9 km
(2.4 mi)

181 km
(112 mi)

42.2 km
(26.2 mi)

Also known as "long distance", "full distance", "140.6" (total miles traveled), or "Ironman Triathlon".[21]

ITU-Long Distance (O3)

4.0 km
(2.5 mi)

120 km
(75 mi)

30 km
(19 mi)

So-called triple Olympic Distance,[20] distance of the ITU Long Distance Triathlon World Championships most years including 2011.

Latest posts

Back