Fitness Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Too much XF cult talk!

Is anyone here able to do any arm balances in yoga? I've recently become interested. My husband can do crow and side crow already! He's been able to for years. I intend to put some dedicated time into learning some arm balances, myself. I believe I have the upper body and core strength, but I do not yet have the comfort with shifting my weight appropriately to balance on just my arms.

I don't plan to do super crazy ones, but would like to learn crow, side crow, and hurdler's pose... I think I'm closest on hurdler's pose already, but definitely have trouble getting my back leg up (mainly due to shifting my weight forward and trusting myself to balance). It would be awesome to be able to do flying pigeon and fallen angel, but my hips are already so tight doing even just half pigeon!

Um, RG just talked about getting into a handstand...

I've actually been working quite a bit with inversions using a bench to help me. I'd kinda like to try crow to see if I can do it, but that's guaranteed to be a moment someone walks in my office. 

Haha handstands are cool! Not exactly the type of arm balance I was referring to though. Arms are in fundamentally different positions between handstands (vertical) and the poses I mentioned (90 degree bend).

Last edited by a moderator:
I would like to try some more yoga eventually - the one near us hasnt opened back up yet..

So Saturday I decided to do some mountain biking instead of the normally Saturday WOD (because XF is dangerous)

now maybe I did too much out of the gate, 15 miles, around 2500 FT of uphill but I woke up Sunday with some crazy knee strain pain, not sure if overuse, but I could barely walk around yesterday, feeling a little better today but skipped the Monday workout, I dont think I could do anything squat related today or maybe this whole week, feels like I strained something just above the knee..

Dang! If only you knew someone in the medical community...

I know this is going to sound like "Did you try restarting it?" but have you really stretched? I find if I don't get all those muscles really loosened up after a big uphill ride that my knees feel like they will just pop and be done. 

yes but unless your bleeding profusely its not a real injury ;)  

I used the theragun for about an hour this morning, which may have helped, but I could barely push the clutch pedal in so I bailed on driving to work :(  

Fell during a snatch this morning. We were supposed to do a snatch with full squat and apparently that was too much for me to process and I went over backwards, but still managed to throw the barbell forward. My coach looks at me like you look at a toddler when they fall and she said, "You're okay, right?" I'm okay. 

so all week weve been working out with masks since it was a requirement of the "State" - some workouts are not too bad but anything over 15 min is pretty miserable, yesterday I think we had a few people in the afternoon classes give up half way through ( it was a long burner 40 minute one) I did it at 5 AM and even when it was cool out I was way longer than my normal times. 

The few of us in the morning class suggested that until it cools down maybe we need more weightlifting stuff indoors since that isnt quite as bad in a mask as say compared to thrusters, burpees, double unders, etc, and the conditioning part outdoors (sleds, running, tire flips, rowing, etc) - he didn't seem to want to do much changes to his program. But I have to say it literally sucks the fun out of it. Until it cools down some I think I will defin be cherry picking some workouts.  

Everyone is pretty well staggered apart and most of us have not been wearing masks - I think mainly its due to the gym being fairly empty since it opened back up.  Normally Wednesdays and Saturdays are the long burn aerobic workouts and I think I am going to be biking those days.

JBF (just being funny) as I dont use it for overhead stuff, but occasionally I forget to not use it and then it does make things awkward when things are overhead..

Does JBF not mean the same thing everywhere?!

Yeah, I picked up on it. I decided to skip the gym this morning. I've been super sore all week and decided that a day off would be good. I feel like a slacker, which means I probably needed to mentally take this day off as well. 

Tomorrow's workout:

hqdefault.jpg

I may have cherry picked the wrong day...

Assuming its the same temps up there as down here I hope you are doing that early!

& that would be a better workout for mask rules environment than what we did yesterday (100% inside)

When we went to Florida we did no working out (other than scuba  diving, which is sort of tiring) but I think maybe every 2 months taking a full week off is probably a good idea?  It sort of beats your body up so our guy always preaches rest days and cusses at you if you go 5X in a row.

oh yeah I meant to mention I tried to use my Garmin watch underwater (its wapterproof to 100M) & I can testify it still works going down to around 105 FT, but  I guess its not really  meant to track "swimming" as an exercise 50+ underwater.. it recorded me going from Key West to Cuba and back.. but also only creditd me with 40 calories?

& i recommend going balls out on the first 500M of the ROW, dont leave anything out there :D

@csbHow did this workout go?
It was long, but okay. It's a deload week, so I just took it easy. 

I realized that I tend to short myself on the row. Rather than letting it go all the way back in and leaning all the way back out, I get into a short stroke (heh) and then it takes forever. 

Trying to be patient, our gym owner is having a baby (well his wife is having a baby) & its obvious something is not going well, they moved up the birth date, schedule C-section- I can tell that he is freaked out.. they got some fill in coaches from who knows where but last week was pretty strange / bad to say the least -

I am sure its a weird spot to be in coming in to "coach"  bunch of people who are all friends and used to doing stuff a certain way but the ones they have filling in just feel the need to critique everything you need to do= which is not what I want, unless I am doing something that is going to get me hurt just keep quiet - I dont need to be interrupted for general comments.. I think they would have been better off asking some more seasoned members to fill in (not me) and just adjust the programming down to stuff most everyone can do - especially since they are no longer "crossfit" and dont have to have the L1 coaches..

Friday I was already in a bad mood because the wife was being difficult because she had to work the weekend and that always puts her in a pissy mood (understandably)......but it was a good upper body  workout which included Shoulder 2 Overhead - I went a little lighter than I should have (85 lbs) so I ended up doing all of them as Push Press - dude kept trying to get me to stop and do them "push jerk" - I feel bad now but I dropped the bar from overhead, and asked him if the movement was S2O or Push Jerk? He replied S2O and tried to say "but.." and I kind of let out a "Thanks now STFU"...

Glad that was toward the end of the workout - I feel bad but I wasn't trying to start shit I just cant stand the chatting about nothing - again if I am doing something wrong form wise please let me know but if its not a technical movement and something is just maybe different than the way you would do something but not wrong leave it alone - I emailed the owner cause I felt bad about being a dick but at the same time I think I was justifed - Ill just skip this dudes classes until the regular guy comes back ( bad timing because his normal part time coaches are out on extended vacations)... but at the same time i spend a shit ton of money here... 

Back