Fitness Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
doing more fitnessy things now. will keep doing Squats Bench and Deadlifts but i need to incorporate other movements like running. :( I have gotten sooo slow.

More Exergenie pulls this morning.  Welded a tab onto a scrap bar to make a pull/drag handle, so was able to simulate sled drags and do face pulls/rows with it.

I was feeling all good about breaking through my mental box jump block until I saw @akwooly 's instagram page and felt like I was hanging in the kids' pool with my water wings on. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I was wondering if you two had planned that since they came out so close together?

There are a set of large tires near the HS where the football team practices, I dont know if I could stack them on top of each other but going to add it to my weekly to do / try list!

I was feeling all good about breaking throw my mental box jump block until I saw @akwooly 's instagram page and felt like I was hanging in the kids' pool with my water wings on. 
you should still feel good about breaking through your mental block on those box jumps! that is awesome and a major feat that many cannot get over. I test my box jump after every winter to see if i can still land it.  I am afraid one of these tests after a long winter i will fail. :(

Stacking those f#@king tires was hard.

nope.  my arms where so bruised afterward.  worse than my first day of atlas stones without arm sleeves.

nope.  my arms where so bruised afterward.  worse than my first day of atlas stones without arm sleeves.
Man, I will have virgin forearms when the gym opens back up.  My arms are gonna be trashed, LOL.

and by 2021 well all have no muscle memory left :(

If I do one more F'n variation of the DB Hang Power Clean / Snatch / etc I am going to choke someone..

Last edited by a moderator:
and by 2021 well all have no muscle memory left :(

If I do one more F'n variation of the DN Hang Power Clean / Snatch / etc I am going to choke someone..
My squats and deadlifts will be nonexistent, but my sled/truck pulls and log pressing will still be there!  Lack of massage to the shoulder/lats to help break up the scar tissue is my biggest hold up with my pressing right now.  I've had to cut back volume a little bit due to having to clean the log for every set, too, which blows.  Glad I bought that log when I did, though!

Can you make a pulley system from a tree or anything?

I added some upgrades to my box over the weekend (and yes it has been difficult to resist the urge to stencil everything)

754141bad0e692f0217f908b42a819a8.jpg

This week is a deload week for programming and I'll admit it feels weird because it's not like I was adding so much weight but also I was happy to not have to silently cry on the zoom class this morning. 

For sure during all of this I've noticed that my left lower half is much weaker than my right side. I've always had pain on that side when I get deep into a running training plan, but I chalked it up to random things like where I run and shoes. I'm now thinking it's because my left glute is non-existent. I need to just lunge the heck out of that side. 

I noticed yesterday, in grabbing the slo-mo of my box jumps, that right before I jump, my left foot comes off the ground a little bit. It's like my brain is like, "Fuck! Move the weak one first!"

Can you train only one glute?

I think the thing I miss the most about the gym is routinely getting beaten by women who are a little older than me at the WOD’s

Can you train only one glute?
Single leg hamstring curls and one legged glute bridges work great for overloading one side, as do pistol box squats.  I have one side that doesn't activate well for whatever reason, so I do a bunch of these to "wake it up".

well that didnt work.... was just a guy failing at a box jump.

so they are allowing personal training to open with no more than 4 persons  next week - I dont know if we will go just yet but I hope our gym owner adjusts his schedule since the normal max / class is 8 people and usually only the 5 AM and 6 Am were usually full - I would think he could re program the class schedule to make either 30 min or 45 min classes and limit them to 4 people - (with some type of rule that you cant hog the classes) -  I still dont feel like we will feel okay going through May just due to wife's job but Id feel better not paying once he can open up & allow others to go  if that makes sense - his wife is due with baby in August so were trying to make this our good deed by continuing to pay- but I dont know if I want to eat another 2 members pay for May..

In other news I think I have done so many fucking air squats / goblet squats my knees are stiff as shit - was thinking about just doing a solid 2 weeks on the bike for lower body exercises - I really need to go get some stronger anti inflammatory 

Single leg hamstring curls and one legged glute bridges work great for overloading one side, as do pistol box squats.  I have one side that doesn't activate well for whatever reason, so I do a bunch of these to "wake it up".
Bulgarian split squats as well. 

Our gym sent out a "let's be prepared if they open this back up" notice yesterday to make sure we're all ready to go in Zen Planner to reserve classes. We'll see what happens. I think I'll have to turn in my equipment I've been using, but I'm not sure I'm comfortable going into the gym with 9 other people just yet. Governor press conference at 4 today to see what happens. 

our local strongman gym opened for their Strongman Saturdays over the weekend.  Everything was outdoors, frame carries, log, sandbags.  i only stopped by because i am loaning my competition lever rack to the gym so people can squat and bench outside.  All his other racks are bolted to the floor.  there was a group of ten folks without face coverings, sweating, breathing hard, not keeping 6 feet distance(although they were trying).  no thank you.

Back