Fitness Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can send you my recipe? 

& Damn, we haven't made these since we moved out here, forgot how excellent homemade french fries are!  

french fry.png

We don't have a scale at the house, so I honestly have no idea how my weight is compared to before, but I've probably stayed about the same. I've done a pretty good job of laying off the snacks during the day so far and I've kept up my working out a lot better than I thought I would. My problem is that it's getting to beer drinking weather...

I told the wife she should sit around in her bathing suit and not her pajamas on her off day so she could monitor if she gains any weight ;)

I had actually gone away from using the my fitness pal app for tracking food but due to being home I am going to be more diligent about it - I am supposed to go see family in late June and I really want to fat shame them. Is that wrong?

I gained 12lbs over the last three months.  gah! not good. I haven't been on any sort of structured program since my powerlifting meet in December.  been battling injuries and lack of motivation, work and other life stress have been crippling.  the last three weeks I have been slowly ramping back up and it has felt good to be easing back.  It is hard "starting over" working sets now were once warm ups. This block of training will focus on GPP and not maximum strength.  I just need to get moving again.

As my 401k dropped to it’s to its (lesser) amount of a year ago, my weight has increased to its (greater) amount of a year ago.

I somehow have dropped weight during this. I have to imagine it's because I can't get at french fries as reliably as before. 
I have lost 10 lbs over the past 3.5 weeks.  I initially thought it was due to stress/anxiety,  but that has passed now. I am pretty sure it's just due to not eating out all the time. 

^ - damn!

I am afraid to step on a scale (dont actually have one) but I have been working out every day, but I am drinking a lot  more - jeans still fit loose,  were not eating bad, lots of chicken and rice & yes some home made french fries... 

I keep hoping the weather will clear up and I can start logging some bike miles on the weekends, but it keeps dipping down in temps or is very windy - but a 2 hour bike ride for me burns around 2K calories, so I could defin use that!

i emailed my gym owner and asked if we all gained a bunch of weight during this shutdown if we could just convert over to a power lifting gym?  He is thinking about it... :D

In January I had a bade case of tennis elbow / tendinitis and was hoping maybe taking some time off would help it, so while I have done some "bar work" like hanging leg raises (using my lats / shoulders more than arms)  I have been avoiding pull ups with dead body weight for a while and  it had been feeling better.  But then I decided to rake some leaves Saturday before it snowed and woke up yesterday to some of the most god awful pain I have felt in that elbow since I first F'd it up -  WTF?

In January I had a bade case of tennis elbow / tendinitis and was hoping maybe taking some time off would help it, so while I have done some "bar work" like hanging leg raises (using my lats / shoulders more than arms)  I have been avoiding pull ups with dead body weight for a while and  it had been feeling better.  But then I decided to rake some leaves Saturday before it snowed and woke up yesterday to some of the most god awful pain I have felt in that elbow since I first F'd it up -  WTF?
Do you do any bicep work?  Bicep-specific work can help with tennis elbow when you do too much tricep-dominant work.  Forearm work can sometimes help, too, like "roll ups" where you twist the bar to roll up a weight on a rope.

that is a good reminder - I have been doing a little stuff like bicep curls on the rings - but I am glad you reminded of that cause when I went to see the witch doctor for the dry needling he said that usually tendinitis is really caused by weak forearms that strain the tendons.

I only have a pair of 25# dumbbells but I could do some forearm work with that to help out!

that is a good reminder - I have been doing a little stuff like bicep curls on the rings - but I am glad you reminded of that cause when I went to see the witch doctor for the dry needling he said that usually tendinitis is really caused by weak forearms that strain the tendons.

I only have a pair of 25# dumbbells but I could do some forearm work with that to help out!
That's PLENTY for forearm and bicep work.  I got it pretty badly when I was doing a ton of overhead pressing, since triceps are important for the strongman stuff, and we only care about biceps for the sake of not tearing them.  I couldn't figure out why my elbows were so bad, when someone told me to balance out the work with some curls.  It made a huge difference.  I still get occasional flareups, but it goes away when I stop neglecting biceps and forearms.  There's also a thing called a Theraband Flexbar that helps.  Basically, a rubbery stick that you twist.  Doesn't look like much, but you do get a crazy forearm pump from it.  From what I read before I got one years ago, it was so effective, that they actually stopped some of the clinical trials early.  

cool thanks!  - I defin need to add the strength part back in and will this week.  I was being good about stretching it in the mornings and doing some bicep work but got away from it with all this BS going on and will add it back in 

(although its like 20 fucking degrees right now) working out is much more fun when its actually warm out!   I just have to put the propane tank heater in the garage 30 min before we start.

The wife has been working on her pull ups so I am going to get her to add the forearm work into her normal upper body routine as well - she gets pretty mentally upset about it and I try and tell her that most men cant even do a "strict" pull up...

I had been doing some dead hangs on upper body days to work on grip and all the other muscles involved, but I just got away from doing that in hopes of trying to give it time to heal...

will google rice bucket!

Hardest part about rice bucket training right now - getting rice.

Back