Fitness Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yesterday was weird, we had a call with the gym owners who are really pushing us to do just our family as a class & not co mingle with the other members for the first month or so - when they open up. - They can only have 4 per class, so they want us to find time slots outside of what is going to be regular class times.

I guess I got a little irritated after the call since we are paying the same as others but are being restricted into class availability- I agree these are are weird times, but it seems they are only offering this for us - but at this same gym there are 2 other nurses, one of those is an ER nurse, 2 docs, and at least 3 other people (nuke techs, etc) that work in the same hospital as my wife. and also an anesthesiologist.

I think the thought is that since she 100% spends time with "infected" it is thought that she is the only reason anyone would get sick - when in all reality although she is 100% in contact with the covid patients, she is the only group that gets the full protection (& just tested negative). It is f'd up but most ER's dont hand out N95 masks to everyone - the docs on a regular floor dont have them, so these other people are all in the true "hot spot" they are probably more likely to get sick then those in the ICU.  If my wife has an issue with her mask she goes full PAPR (haz mat looking suit) - whereas the rest of the hospital is probably more at risk because they are using less than desirable ppe.

And a study done on nursing homes is that the main infection transmission occurred from staff members who brought the virus from the outside world to the nursing home.

I am glad to be able to have my own group (me, wife, and daughter) and that is probably the best for us but at the same time I am really pissed if this action is coming from other gym members who are 'afraid" to be around us?  If the later is the case then I will likely be done with this gym, because I know several of them have also traveled during this time frame and you can tell from FB who is and isnt sitting at home so much -

In short I think we are going to be irritated if we see the other medical people going and "co mixing" with the non essentials ;)

Or am I just being crazy cause I have been cooped up for 2 months?  I feel like I am mad that I am being asked to not go to regular group classes but I probably wouldn't go through May anyway?  damn maybe I am just cra cra..

Ah, the classic you didn't want it, but now that you're told you can't have it you want it. 

Just kidding. That's a bunch of BS if they have other medical people coming in. That means they are just isolating your family. 

I'm isolating from my gym because as far as I can tell all those people have been out and about. Nope. Not for me just yet. Here's the current setup, though:

95875029_2625103317594490_2452336677163630592_o.jpg

I think I'm going to give my gym about a month after reopening to see what happens.  Maybe.  

yeah I think they way to handle it would be more like:

"Hey we know you work directly with this virus and as a concern for everyone we want to schedule private lessons for your family, at a reduced rate because we know this is an inconvenience because you wont be able to sign up for classes like everyone else"  There are not many windows open for all 3 of us to go, and if I go back to the office in June then I will have zero windows - I dont know why but it just sort of irritated me the more I thought about it.

Or just say, Hey why dont you take a month off and we wont take your money? See you in June if this thing is still on the downward trend.

I think her hospital has treated 200+ covid patients, 2 of them were staff.

- I was originally mentally targeting June for going back- but they likely wont give gyms the all clear to resume full classes then so may just sort of be stuck, we both had wanted to check out this other gym that seems to cater more to people our age so this may be a good stepping out point, but we may get the same feel from other places...

& I like that set up CSB , I think the places with more space will be able to have somewhat safer classes if they can space out like that - may just have to not program stuff on the rack and the running in and out of the building might be difficult

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah, the classic you didn't want it, but now that you're told you can't have it you want it. 

Just kidding. That's a bunch of BS if they have other medical people coming in. That means they are just isolating your family. 

I'm isolating from my gym because as far as I can tell all those people have been out and about. Nope. Not for me just yet. Here's the current setup, though:

those boxes are too small.  The breeze generated by bikes will blow the aerosoled sneeze/cough a lot farther.  If the girl in the middle sneezes the girl on the right will be inhaling it.   THat's one major reason I don't do cycling classes...people's perfumes/colognes are blown around the room. 

that's no cylce class.... (Ben Kenobi voice)

Thats an assualt bike!

But I agree first day open I dont know if I would have done the assault bike - I know our gym said all rowing would be outside (if any at all) because usually the rowers are lots of partner workouts where one sweaty bod slides on as the previous sweaty bod slides off ;)  - true story..

The bike was 3 minutes of the class. 

Which I watched from Zoom. I hit my 1990s Diamondback on a trainer for that portion and laughed to myself that I had escaped the devil's bike for one more day. 

Yeah, @Road Guy , I would totally use this as a stepping out point if they aren't going to work around your schedule. Not only are they isolating you, they are making it way less convenient for you. Not worth giving them money over that. 

My old gym that had drama in February that caused me to go to my new gym has more drama. During all of this, they've been doing hit or miss Facebook live workouts that are pretty lame. They haven't' figured out how to do spread out group classes (which they have 8000sf...I'm pretty sure they could figure something out). Part of the drama in February is that there was a new ownership arrangement. The original owner didn't have the capital to buy the new facility, so he "partnered" with this other couple. Turns out he's not on any of the financial documents because he's a 20-something with zero credit. The facebook page was mostly run by the new couple, but the original owner posted this a couple days ago (which I only saw because someone sent it to me): 

Hey guys as you may know the city has lifted some of the restrictions and order but unfortunately with the new guidelines we are unable to accommodate it as of now just wanted to reach out to everyone and let them know I miss every single one of you guys and not really sure what the future holds for Ninja playground Athletics as there has been some complications with the partnership and for the moment want to connect with everyone that is still currently a member please send me a message if you guys are currently a member! Look forward to hearing from everyone!
This says to me that they've kind of cut him out and he's looking to take clients with him. I'd love to know the backstory on it, but most in that driving by a wreck kind of way. 

The owner is really trying hard to find a way for us to be in a (Private) class, he has even offered weekends - and later times ( he is a 4 am er and you can see him about to pass out around 7 PM) - We told him we defin are not coming next week.. but I have to give the guy an A for trying.

What I wanted to do, since only 4 spots are in a call and we have 3 people ourselves -is that we would cherry pic classes that didn't have anyone in them and sign up for those (like an hour before) and not have to do "special" times - which he just think all his classes will be full, which we doubt based on the people we talked to who also are not ready to go back.

Before all this I would try and work out with the wife and daughter at the 6 PM slot 2 days a week and most of the time we were the only 3 in those classes..

We are going to wait and see how many people sign up next week. We both really like the owner, we cant stand his wife, but I trust him to call me out if I am doing too much weight on an O/H squat for example (Keeps me from getting hurt) 

Glad you are at least free from that drama CSB!  Maybe next year we can do murph together, not sure its happening this year :(

You know if we ever get back to normal, and not as my primary source of income, but I really think I would enjoy being a part owner of either a HITT or XF gym and find a way to cater towards older folks and or heavy people- It was tough for me to walk in our gym and there was a 35 year old guy with no shirt doing muscle ups ( I remember being like oh shit this is not going to be fun) -  but luckily the next class had some out of shape dudes like myself

The wife and I are the newest members to our gym that have stayed, and I think some of the heavier people dont stick with it because they didn't see us all when we were carrying a tire around our waist.  But our owner does have those weird muscles that stick out of the side of this stomach and I don't know if that resonates with your average middle aged dude/ dudett who works a job he / she doesnt really like, has spent their free time being a parent and all the other things that make life hard..

This says to me that they've kind of cut him out and he's looking to take clients with him. I'd love to know the backstory on it, but most in that driving by a wreck kind of way. 

I wouldn't ever give a dime to someone who can't be bothered to put a single punctuation mark in a social media post--especially one where they're trying to win over clients.

oh wait there is some punctuation after all he put two exclamation points in his five sentence runon

I wouldn't ever give a dime to someone who can't be bothered to put a single punctuation mark in a social media post--especially one where they're trying to win over clients.

oh wait there is some punctuation after all he put two exclamation points in his five sentence runon
So the guy has a TBI and I'm not sure how great he was at anything like writing before. He uses a ton of text-to-type and doesn't bother to go in and punctuate. It drives me nuts as well. 

Glad you are at least free from that drama CSB!  Maybe next year we can do murph together, not sure its happening this year :(

You know if we ever get back to normal, and not as my primary source of income, but I really think I would enjoy being a part owner of either a HITT or XF gym and find a way to cater towards older folks and or heavy people- It was tough for me to walk in our gym and there was a 35 year old guy with no shirt doing muscle ups ( I remember being like oh shit this is not going to be fun) -  but luckily the next class had some out of shape dudes like myself

The wife and I are the newest members to our gym that have stayed, and I think some of the heavier people dont stick with it because they didn't see us all when we were carrying a tire around our waist.  But our owner does have those weird muscles that stick out of the side of this stomach and I don't know if that resonates with your average middle aged dude/ dudett who works a job he / she doesnt really like, has spent their free time being a parent and all the other things that make life hard..
My gym is full of ripped people, but the gym owners are totally about meeting everyone where they are at that moment and that was huge for me. 

The governor lifted our recreational out--of-staters quarantine starting tomorrow, so you can come here and Murph! From like 10-ft away from me; your wife works with the lepers, you know. 

Made myself get up at 4:30 to work out just to change my bodies clock...now I have been laying on the couch for an hour drinking coffee dreading going to work At 7.....

Made myself get up at 4:30 to work out just to change my bodies clock...now I have been laying on the couch for an hour drinking coffee dreading going to work At 7.....
Once the gyms open back up here (assuming it's still in business), I'm going to start doing morning cardio.  Before, I just couldn't swing it because I would have had to be at the gym by 4am just to get in 30 minutes of cardio and be back home with enough time to shower, get dressed, take care of the dogs, and be out of the house by 5:30 to be at work for 6.  Now that I'm WFH and basically get a "soft start" as long as I've got my phone on me, I can leave at 5 and still be home and ready to work by 6:00.  

I got up this morning to knock my workout out as well. It's nice to get it out of the way, but I can tell it's been a while since I've gotten up early.

On the plus side, I finally broke down and bought a scale and I've lost around 7 lbs since February (the last time I weighed).

I did the gym home workout- I am so over doing sandbag squats :(  in the garage...  It was a little chilly this am (36) or I might have gone for a short run.  

I really wish I had a rower to be honest, it would be so easy to bang out 20-30 minutes of cardio and not have to deal with traffic / weather / etc

man losing weight during the pandemic? thats actually amazing! I have added drinking and snacking and even though I have been working out nearly every day I dont think its the same intensity - I am afraid to jump on the scale, but jeans still fit loose..

We met with our gym owner Sunday, I think it was a misunderstanding and he said they dont have issues with us going to normal classes - the actually open today with reduced classes.  Were playing the wait and see who else signs up game, I think if other medical people show up she will go next week - but were going to try and cherry pick a class that no one else has signed up for.  Apparently the wife had reached out and asked about the individual class times and since he knows my wife is a worrier I guess he thought that's what we wanted to do.. 

I am on a Colorado XF page and its sad to see gym owners calling it quits and selling all their shit, "only 2" so far but just sucks - I think both said they were in places where there leases were up and the large commercial banks (probably out of NYC) that own the retail centers they were in not only wanting them to extend but wanted to increase the lease amount.. 

Commercial real estate was always strange to me, even the large companies I work for would try and renegotiate terms with the landlord when the leases were done and seems we would end up bitching over $1 / SF and nope, pack it up and head over to a similar building a few blocks away, new build out, do it again in 5 years..

I am on a Colorado XF page and its sad to see gym owners calling it quits and selling all their shit, "only 2" so far but just sucks - I think both said they were in places where there leases were up and the large commercial banks (probably out of NYC) that own the retail centers they were in not only wanting them to extend but wanted to increase the lease amount.. 

Commercial real estate was always strange to me, even the large companies I work for would try and renegotiate terms with the landlord when the leases were done and seems we would end up bitching over $1 / SF and nope, pack it up and head over to a similar building a few blocks away, new build out, do it again in 5 years..
Anyone selling a rig? I could use one in the backyard for pull ups and a hammock. 

Our programing had an EMOM last Monday and today. Last week's was 8 jump squats and 8 burpees, all done in the same minute, and by minute 18 I started to really question if I needed to try to be fit. Today was another EMOM, but it was alternating 10 back squats and 10 ring rows. 

honestly anytime I am doing something miserable like that many burpee's or sled pushes I feel bad for any time I looked at some Dallas cowboy cheerleader and thought "must be nice to have good genes"

So I worked out this am, at the gym, no one signed up for the 5 AM class so I went in, it defin felt weird, but felt pretty safe, our owner was OCD before he is even worse now..

But Holy Fucking Shit. first time doing squats and deadlifts, even with 2/3 normal weight from 2 months off I can already barely walk.. Defin a loss of strength and muscle memory..

honestly anytime I doing something miserable like that many burpee's or sled pushes I feel bad for any time I looked at some dallas cowboy cheerleader and thought "must be nice to have good genes"

So I worked out this am, at the gym, no one signed up for the 5 AM class so I went in, it defin felt weird, but felt pretty safe, our owner was OCD before he is even worse now..

But Holy Fucking Shit. first time doing squats and deadlifts, even with 2/3 normal weight from 2 months off I can already barely walk.. Defin a loss of strength and muscle memory..
This is what I'm super worried about. I have a 50-lb barbell setup. Just grabbing the bar the first time is going to kill me. 

Back