Fitness Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only thing I can't seem to make any progress on is the run. I am stuck at just about a 9:45 mile, and have been for most of my adult life.  Which is fine because the minimum is way slower than that, but the way our APFT points work makes it such that I would have to make it to the next level on the run (an 8:10 or so mile), to go up a level on my score. Regardless of maxing out the pushups and plank. 
If you're so inclined, this is the site where I got the C25K podcasts from.  I think he's got some interval training stuff on there too.  Not my first choice in music selection but I like it fine and he does the tones when it's time to alternate from walking/running or running/running faster.

https://www.podrunner.com/programs.html

So I've gotten some shoulder pain and have no idea what's causing it.  Working out with bands and one morning a few weeks back I woke up with soreness.  Yada yada yada last week I have to stop working out because it's not going away.  It's not muscular, but if I press directly down on my shoulder (see pic) around the acromion, it's a bit tender.  Any weighted exercises are no bueno.  Other than that, most normal doopty doo daily stuff is a non-issue.  I'm not at the point of going to the doc and paying out the nose for tests that require follow-up tests.  Any ideas? 

a00222f01_resized.jpg

Does it feel like a "crick" in your neck but in your shoulder?

If so my wife had that and thought she had a tendon tear and went and did that "cupping" therapy and some dry needling and she said it literally went away that day.  You can find one that will take your HSA usually-

& I made fun of her for going but it has been a huge help for her.

Last edited by a moderator:
Simple stuff - how's your posture? Been spending a lot of time looking at your phone or otherwise hunched up (stress)? Try really focusing on maintaining good upper body posture for a week or so and see if you feel any better.

Then there's sleeping - if you are a side sleeper, take a critical look at houw you hold your arms in that position - you might be putting strain on your shoulder.

Getting old is awesome. As a friend of mine says, now he can get injured even from a good night's sleep.

If you're so inclined, this is the site where I got the C25K podcasts from.  I think he's got some interval training stuff on there too.  Not my first choice in music selection but I like it fine and he does the tones when it's time to alternate from walking/running or running/running faster.

https://www.podrunner.com/programs.html
Now that you mention that, I did use the old C25k interval training schedules about 10 years ago when I did actually hit the 8:00 mark on a more reliable basis. But I would always seem to end up injured after a few months (or less) so I stopped trying to be faster. 

I've hurt a bicep tendon by letting off of the bands too quickly on curls and that took a couple of months of no lifting to get better.  That sucked.  But I can't think of any exercise I've done where I've released too quickly and hurt a tendon in my shoulder.  I haven't exercised in a week with no improvement.  I may just do light light weight "therapy" exercises.  😕 

Simple stuff - how's your posture? Been spending a lot of time looking at your phone or otherwise hunched up (stress)? Try really focusing on maintaining good upper body posture for a week or so and see if you feel any better.

Then there's sleeping - if you are a side sleeper, take a critical look at houw you hold your arms in that position - you might be putting strain on your shoulder.

Getting old is awesome. As a friend of mine says, now he can get injured even from a good night's sleep.
So I have to actively not put my left arm up under my pillow at night. If I sleep like that, my shoulder is wrecked. As a side/stomach sleeper, this is BS, but it's necessary. Like I'll even wake up at night to have to tuck it back down at my side. It used to hurt badly enough that I thought I needed to go in. 

So I've gotten some shoulder pain and have no idea what's causing it.  Working out with bands and one morning a few weeks back I woke up with soreness.  Yada yada yada last week I have to stop working out because it's not going away.  It's not muscular, but if I press directly down on my shoulder (see pic) around the acromion, it's a bit tender.  Any weighted exercises are no bueno.  Other than that, most normal doopty doo daily stuff is a non-issue.  I'm not at the point of going to the doc and paying out the nose for tests that require follow-up tests.  Any ideas? 
If it hurts under the acromion when you press down, it could be bursitis.  If it hurts right where the acromion meets the collar bone (and usually gets worse if you raise your arm), you could have an impingement or some arthritis in the AC joint.  It could also be that the delts are just overworked, and pressing down there is just aggravating a tender area.  Rest, ice, NSAIDs for about two weeks and see if it goes away.  I find < 2 weeks usually isn't long enough to accurately assess.  

Did some open time Sunday, "Snatch" felt pretty good, called it a day around 140 - I dont really have an idea of what is a heavy weight for that movement? But I have a feeling it will get heavy after 145 #

Clean and Jerks just wasn't my day, so I stopped after the first warm up at 135 - I had shoveled around 2 feet of snow off my back deck and I think I pulled something in my back doing that. 

Also Fuck You Barbell Thrusters, Fuck you...

well i knew it was going to be bad when the coach came by just before the 10 second clock went on and said that was too much weight, but should be fun to watch 😞

We did roll overs this morning. At least I think that's what they were called? Where you pick up a weighted ball and then roll it over your shoulder behind you? Anyway, I liked that the ball gives my shoulders a little massage, but then I have to fucking pick it up again.

EDIT: It's these- https://www.popsugar.com/fitness/how-to-do-d-ball-over-shoulder-46992249

Last edited by a moderator:
My first walkman was "purchased" with kool-aid points and I listened to it while wearing my K-Mart slip on shoes (ghetto Vans). I have no shame!

(See, kids, back in the day a lot of products had rewards for saving the proof of purchase tabs. Got 100 of them? Turn it into a shirt.)

my parents got me pleather parachute pants for my birthday instead of the real thing 😞 only wore them once... (poor teachers in rural north ga)

Back