Fitness Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder how many gyms with coaches / instructors really understand the  value of a good one.  Ours only has one part time coach at the moment, a fellow gym member who started coaching a few months ago. she is okay but just very quiet,  Its interesting to see the class sign ups shift based on what class she is teaching. Classes that are normally full with have 2-3 people in them.  I think the guy that owns are gym is just very good at his craft, its a "huge" drop off for anyone I think.  - But I sort of feel more comfortable being yelled at or corrected during  a class (because I don't want to get injured) and when I have a coach / instructor who doesn't ever say anything to me than I know they are either just inexperienced or afraid to speak up.

We used to have another female part time coach who was excellent, she was also a chemical engineer and just started travelling too much to do it anymore..
That's what I love about my gym in SC.  Rob the owner is one of the trainers, has two on staff, and has one that does her own training at the gym.  He is excellent for powerlifters and dietary needs (master's in nutrition) and while very soft spoken, can be the scream at you guy if you want.  His mother (who is also a bodybuilder and powerlifter), handles a lot of the older female clients of which there are quite a few, and they're all comfortable working out in a gym with a tough-sounding name and huge/strong guys around them, and the third guy is a very nice guy who's an IFBB bodybuilding pro in the men's physique class, so he gets a lot of the more casual gym goers who "want to look like that".  The female trainer that comes and goes is a very tough bodybuilder/crossfit type.  So no matter who walks through the door, if they want one-on-one training, there is somebody there who will cater to their personality.  

I feel like if I go through a class and I don't get corrected on something than what am I paying for? 😄

I used to workout with the lady who became a part time coach, we are still friends and run together some on off days, I tried to offer some feedback (that she solicited) and just mainly told her she needs to learn to talk from her diaphragm and not her throat, cant really hear her very well (not much of a "command voice") when there are weights being flung around and hip hop music about killing people is blaring...

But I do think people sign up based on which coach matches their personality to some degree, for me I have only one time slot available, my wife will change classes if they change the coach. Which I think is sort of dumb...

I think If I ever owned a gym like this I would want to cater towards the 50 lbs overweight crowd, I think it would be more rewarding to watch those transformations than the 27 year olds...

Oh so the old gym owners sold recently?   I bet that has to be a tough transition, especially if people are not good at playing nice with the people who pay them.

Well hopefully she can at least line up other work? (or was it a part time gig for her?)

But hopefully we can compare murph scores this year!!!
Not exactly. The original owner wanted to expand, but he's a 27-year-old who likes working out. He lacked the capital, so he brought on business partners. He got injured in November (a guy fell on him at a concert and he broke his clavicle?) and had to sit out. Then he comes back, everything is all good, but they have an investor back out. The investor backed out because original owner got busted for a DUI. Then he broke his clavicle completely this last time around when a wall fell on him (incredibly dumb move on his part that could have killed him). He at least had fitness training. 

New business partners do NOT have fitness training nor do they seem to have any business acumen. I don't want to work out with someone who can't correct my form. 

The fitness instructor was someone they brought on last year. She has five kids, so everything for her is just part time. She had training and checked form and pushed people in a good way. 

I think I am now legally obligated to tell the whole world- I will be going to a trial CrossFit class tomorrow. I think I also am legally obligated to talk about the WOD after class. Is this correct? Am I fit yet? 

e535d1b8da018c4df829c6cba5d1c01e.png

cool - which one (gym) did you pick? 

& damn 5 kids! Is she the one that was posting the selfies?

Also the 2nd rule of crossfit is:

1*Irqbz57ypBnuGTuqmbkBXw.jpeg

We feel were almost ( not really) breaking even since we stopped making 2-3 trips to Rock Bottom a week since we started.. but at least that's what we tell ourselves.. I think the real miracle is I have only purchased one pair of nano's since starting ..

I dont know if your gym did the whiteboard thing, I have been going a year and for the "WOD" I am still mostly near the bottom. It gets into the wifes head, but I have to remind her were some of the oldest people there and there have only been a few new people that have started since we joined -(its hard to "catch" people") unless they take some time off..  I dont let it bother me that I am 2nd or 3rd to the last. Dont let that get to you - when it does bother me I try and at least sort it by age 😄 - 

There is a series XF did on youtube called "Killing the Fat Man" - they guy in it is a douchebag, but the coaches in the video are very similar to ours (although I think they were easier on my wife than me) but its worth a watch if you have time, it sort of gives an idea of what the classes are like - but what it doesn't show is the interaction with the other gym members - but I find it funny and relatable that his goal is to "at least beat some of the women" in the wod, cause I still lose to several of them..

I survived! It was a super nice group and the instructor had me modify things since it was my first day, so knees to chest instead of T2B. 

I would love to start going, but there was a snag when I tried to quit my old gym. They gave me a line about there's a 30-day cancellation policy, so they'd cancel it 30 days from now. I kind of stepped back and thought, "You cancelled all of your morning classes and I'm on the hook to still pay you?" I'm not on autopay, so I'm very tempted just to not pay that. See you in small claims court, bitches! 

Im still not doing T2B a year in - I was close about a month ago but then got some tendonitis in my elbow doing "extra" pull up practice at home (bad idea) so I haven't hung from a bar in a month but its getting close..

That's BS about your old gym & it seems like you pimped them out quite a bit online - I doubt they would go to small claims court but I would still send them a letter and say when I signed up there were morning classes, now there are not, tough shit.  I think documentation is always appreciated by the courts...

But soon we can dominate the fitness thread! 😉

Last edited by a moderator:
Update- I received a message that I'm free and clear. Turns out a number of other people have contacted her and said, "This is BS!" Now I think they are trying to save face. I don't know if they considered what a small town this is and how many people know other people. 

Update on my forearms- Pretty sure farmers carries yesterday mean that I will function like a t-rex today. 

Update on my forearms- Pretty sure farmers carries yesterday mean that I will function like a t-rex today. 
Tip for farmer's carries - when picking the handles, make a point if wrapping your palm around the underside of the handle when getting your grip, so its more towards the fatty part of your palm.  This way, when when it slips a bit when you stand up with it, it sits a bit closer to your big knuckles and stays mostly in the palm.  If you just pick it up with a straight hand initially, it wants to slip further into your fingers, which will put more strain on the forearms/grip.  

Tip for farmer's carries - when picking the handles, make a point if wrapping your palm around the underside of the handle when getting your grip, so its more towards the fatty part of your palm.  This way, when when it slips a bit when you stand up with it, it sits a bit closer to your big knuckles and stays mostly in the palm.  If you just pick it up with a straight hand initially, it wants to slip further into your fingers, which will put more strain on the forearms/grip.  
Palm it first- check

glad they let you out!

Are you going to have to go through an "on ramp" program or do they just work you in slowly?

Did your old place to wall balls?  We seem to use them in liu of sprints for when its too cold to run - Ill be glad when it warms up...

feels awkward at first and unnatural but works.  then you rip your palm open... hand care! hand care! hand care!  I hate farmers

feels awkward at first and unnatural but works.  then you rip your palm open... hand care! hand care! hand care!  I hate farmers
I use nail clippers on calluses more than fingernails!

yeah but they make only making one trip from the car to the house with groceries a breeze!

i need to get back into fitnessing.  been since Christmas since I have trained with any consistency.  Finally able to get out and do some cross country skiing which has been great but my cardio sucks.

I haven't been to the gym in nearly a week.  This sinus/chest infection and antibiotics have really whooped my butt.

Back