Fitness Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never gained arm muscle as quickly as I have in the last month. It would appear the seemingly ridiculous amounts of protein I've been consuming along with all kinds of vegetables makes working out pay off faster. Huh. 

I'm down 8.4 pounds since the end of October. I'm back to where I was this past spring when I was really focused on weight loss. I could use new pants. 

So I used my free entry and I'm signed up to do a Spartan Sprint in Colorado in August. Suppose it's time to finally learn how to climb a rope. 

or just do the burpees! ;)

I am trying to talk my daughter into doing that one with me this summer, but I haven't pulled the trigger on registering yet. Will let you know if we do in fact sign up. My daughter likes XF so far, I wanted her to regain some of her competitive edge she used to have before a terrible travel ball coach ruined her way back in 7th grade, but she is not a fan of barely finishing the workouts while a bunch of "old people" `age 35-45 seem to cruise through it (not really cruise but it just seems that way when you are the new person) - Saturday I thought she was going to lose it while doing 1 minute max calories on the assault bike as part of the workout - That thing does F'n suck balls btw but I could tell she was in a level of pain not yet experienced..

I ordered a rope for my garage from Rogue this past weekend, I spent the weekend making a connection for it in the ceiling, I do believe that it is mostly technique with the footwork but I guess I will find out...

Use that Reebok code today to get the Nano 9's that have rubber on the sides of the sole just for rope climbs, lol.

It makes it so you can say to the guys in the office, "Want me to get that for you, little lady?" 
898cc6d05f505ae0d8c214dd74231e0d.jpg

So its kind of weird one of the trauma surgeons my wife works with goes to the same gym as us and for the last several Saturday workouts we have paired together, and dominated! (got the top of the leader board). I think it freaks the wife out a little, its like I am becoming friends with her boss, well really I am just a simple construction worker and he probably just needs some help building a garage or something!

Last edited by a moderator:
also I got bored this weekend and made a rope climb in the garage so I could practice the technique ;)   The rope isnt as large a diameter of the one in the gyms so I had to use some gardening gloves to even grip it.  My garage seems high at 12 FT but I can only get 3 reaches / climbs / whatever you call it / but I think I have the leg technique down, but just going to do it once a week cause it totally drained my shoulders and arms  "on rest day" - wish I could find the same diameter rope in less than 25 FT lengths but this will have to suffice!

The wife doesn't trust my engineering abilities and thinks I am going to pull the house down :D

also @csb the daughter and I signed up for the Spartan Sprint in August also - Although they F'd up my military discount so I am hopeful they will work that out!

IMG_0174.jpgIMG_0188.jpg

also I got bored this weekend and made a rope climb in the garage so I could practice the technique ;)   The rope isnt as large a diameter of the one in the gyms so I had to use some gardening gloves to even grip it.  My garage seems high at 12 FT but I can only get 3 reaches / climbs / whatever you call it / but I think I have the leg technique down, but just going to do it once a week cause it totally drained my shoulders and arms  "on rest day" - wish I could find the same diameter rope in less than 25 FT lengths but this will have to suffice!

The wife doesn't trust my engineering abilities and thinks I am going to pull the house down :D

also @csb the daughter and I signed up for the Spartan Sprint in August also - Although they F'd up my military discount so I am hopeful they will work that out!
Now I really need to get after it! 

Did you guys sign up for the morning or afternoon? 

The afternoon since it was cheaper - I made an EB.com team :D

I didn't like they add on $25 bucks for mandatory insurance and some other bullshit ... reminds me why I dont do these events all that often, they just make bank!

I wish our gym had open Sunday workouts, many do where you can go in and work on stuff.  There just isn't enough time in class to work on the rope climb, but I am going to keep this a secret until I see it on the schedule.

(me) works on rope climbs with legs over the weekend ( we haven't done them since summer)

Today's workout :

clalsdkf.JPG

F...

Two things:

We dont work at heavy weight at Power Cleans that often but I have been stuck at 205 PR since July - I think its in my head but I couldn't do 185 this morning :(  - Bummer since all Fall we did lots of power clean movements at moderate weight (155) and I though I would be able to get to the 225 range by now.. I was hoping to get to my body weight power clean by the end of the year, but looks like I can carry that goal forward another year...

In other news I have been doing 100 double under a day since Dec 1.(I bought a "stall mat" at the ranch store (like a mat for a horse in their stall) but its 3/4 thick rubber and works nicely so I don't kill my shins in the garage to practice)- In the beginning they were not pretty but I can consistently do sets of 10 (Always get tripped up on that 9th or 10th jump) but now (& this is a true story) I cannot do singles! (regular jump roping) -  I dont know if its just the different jump height but I literally cant do more than 2-3 singles in a row..  I guess no point going backwards but its very odd, must me muscle memory or something?  We normally do sets of 30-50 singles as part of a warm up but I cant do them anymore!

Pretty much all non-commercial gyms use stall mats for flooring, so good call!

If they were not such a PIA to go get (without a truck) I would give serious thought to covering most of my garage in them-

So.... been at this for about a year almost. When do i go full crazy and buy the protein shaker breakfast thing? - Currently I try and just eat 2 hard boiled eggs and a nanner after the 5 am workout, but I feel like I need to upgrade it a bit?

Back