Fitness Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My first official weigh-in for the challenge at the gym is tomorrow morning. According to the home scale, I'm down 5.4 lbs from when I started on 10/25. I have to wear clothes at the gym (bummer), so I expect the weigh-in will look a little higher. 

My life consists of macros, with protein and veggies at every meal. I meal prepped last week and by yesterday I couldn't make it through my final dinner. I've prepped for a few options this week, so I can just weigh and eat what I am feeling like eating. 

I started running again, since I have a 5K on Thanksgiving morning and also one on December 7 (a date that shall live in infamy). There's HIIT classes three mornings per week, in which I question life and I drop to the ground for another burpee. 

Water is kicking my ass. I'm supposed to drink a ton of it, but that's hard when there's meetings in a day. "Pardon me- I must pee." 

Am I fit yet? 

I did some research on the burpee and apparently it is one of the best overall exercises you can do for your body in terms of getting in shape, maybe that's why they are so painful and why so many programs use them.

And although most all of us go to the gym to lose weight, i do find an actual "weight loss challenge" a little odd to be honest, our gym (box) really doesn't ever mention weight loss, they do spend a ton of talk on "nutrition" but they seem to do challenges that make you work, and then the end result is weight loss / muscle gain / but in the last 9 months I haven't actually heard any of the owners or coaches mention the phrase weight loss.  For example we had a 100 sit ups a day challenge for a month. Followed by 50 push ups a day for a month, I think if you did the whole month you got a whole foods gift card or some crap ;)

Although I admit I only weigh in after a work out (at the Higi machine at Kroger) and I refuse to weigh in unless I am in shorts and a tank top, so now that its winter I wont be weighing in for a while.......

I did two- 30 IN box jumps this morning, crashed and burned on 3 before I got up. Yeah I know ....JJ Watts did 57 inches or something but I am an old man :D  - one of the few things I wish I had video proof of!

Yeah, it's more an individual thing. I eat like crap if left unattended, so it's a program to get dialed back in. There's money attached to it to keep me focused. I wouldn't do the nutrition on my own, so this has been helpful. I would have bought a program off your wife, but I couldn't find her paypal? 

A guy jumped up on my steel desk at work. There was a brief moment where I thought, "Man, I don't know how I'll explain this to the incident review committee," before he landed it. I can do the 30-in, but only onto the soft box (heh). 

We're doing a plank challenge, too, where we're working up to a 3 minute plank by the end of the month. My core likes to remind me that it's built like the Pillsbury Doughboy. 

Damn That is pretty impressive! normally the "prescribed" workouts (when doing high reps) is 24 IN for the guys and 20 IN for the ladies!  They made me start using the 24 IN box toward the end of summer and it drastically slows down my workouts.

My least favorite is the burpee box jump :(

Last edited by a moderator:
this was pretty cool if you haven't seen it, although to be fair the 2 army ranger captains have probably run  this course a few 100 times.  We ran through it at the end of OCS (when we were in shape) and I think most of us did about the same as Tebow...

Whoa. 

In that, "Hey, but the physics" aspect of this- Tebow was hauling way more weight around then they were. The grip strength is also huge on things like that. 

My first official weigh-in for the challenge at the gym is tomorrow morning. According to the home scale, I'm down 5.4 lbs from when I started on 10/25. I have to wear clothes at the gym (bummer), so I expect the weigh-in will look a little higher.
When you get on a scale with your hair in a pony tail, you weigh less.  Facts.

:DV:

Deleted.

jeez I didn’t mean to kill the thread.

something misogynist about not wearing your sports bra, set them free, show them to me, typical stuff I would say..  ;)

Speaking of which my gym crush wore a tank top this morning that said "I have no titties" - guess that is the bad part of a woman working out heavily for years...

She is a middle school teacher too and some times I just cant even.....

PARA SU SEGURIDAD, POR FAVOR PERMANEZCA SENTADO, Y MANTENGA LAS MANOS, BRAZOS, PIES Y PIERNAS DENTRO DEL VEHICULO. CUIDE A SUS PEQUEÑITOS.

It is for the safety of all that I wear that industrial strength contraption. 

I like that you have a gym crush. 

Still solidly on the morning workout schedule. This week and last week, I've been getting 30 minutes of yoga in. It's a nice break from the strength training/cardio stuff I've been doing much of recently. Definitely not building up as much of a sweat, but that's okay with me right now. Still biking to work at least 3 days a week (50 miles a week min., city biking) so I get my cardio in there!

I saw a dude on his bike this morning coming to the office,  it was 22 degrees, and was like, nope, biking to work is a summertime activity! 

My husband used to bike year round in Vermont. I wouldn't do that for sure!

My friend who lives in Fairbanks, AK, typically either bikes or cross-country skis to work at the university.

I suggest everyone check out: https://www.youlooklikeaman.com/collections/all

This is a site run by some female strongman competitors.  It started as a FB/instagram page (that is spectacularly funny and outraging at the same time) that took all the nasty shit guys would say about female strongman/bodybuilders/athletes on the internet, and putting them on motivational poster-style backgrounds.  

It includes several personal favorites, such as the "you're losing your feminine mystique" unicorn poster, "big clit energy" tank top, and the "don't blow your butthole out" unisex tee.  I'm also considering the "I just want to tone" tee as an Xmas gift to myself.

Back