Fitness Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Side hustle working security for the Reds is not conducive to sticking to keto.  Was working the visitors' clubhouse yesterday morning and one of the clubhouse managers throws me a breakfast sammich (Sunday games are at 1:10pm but players start showing up about 3 hours before the game which means some of us have to be there 4 hours before game time).  I suppose I could have been good and said thanks, but no thanks, but by God it was one of the best things I've ever eaten.  Them players are fed well.  Fortunately I'm not one of the Nazi-esque keto people so I'm realistic to know that there are going to be times when you go off the wagon, I just made sure I was good the rest of the day and didn't get too hung up on it.

Can you describe the breakfast sammich? Bacon? Sausage? Cheese??

I think that's part of the game, most everyone is going to have a cheat meal, I don't think this is what they call intermittent fasting but case in point on Thursdays here the boss likes to go to this hole in the wall Mexican place that has great food - its one of those places you wouldn't go to unless someone took you there cause its a literal shack! - But I just make a point to not eat supper that night - my wife (who is also an RD) says it doesn't work that way but in my mind it does :D

It was ham egg and cheese on a croissant.  Not sure if they used a press or what, but the edges were crispy and the middle was still soft and chewy.  Is there such a thing as extra-buttery croissants, because if there are, I'm guessing those were involved as well.

So with the job change I am always worried about a schedule change fucking up my workout schedule - for the last 2 months I have been going to the 6 AM workout class (Yes I admit I have been going 5-6 days a week to Xfit) before that I was just running and hitting an old school gym and doing "partner" workout days with the wife anyways I am down 25 lbs since February and don't want to gain it back.

With the new job I am going to have to hit the 5AM classes to make it to work on time, but we have a very small gym, only 8 spots per class and that 5 AM class has been full with 4+ people on the waitlist every day for the last month (pretty much ever since I knew I would accept this job) which really sucks..

I went and did a drop in work out at another place (one block further) - seems like they are mostly all the same, but its a little bigger gym so they have 12 spots per class and from watching their calendar it looks like making the class at  5 AM wont be a problem.  I think it was good to be at a smaller place to start and get more scrutiny when learning movements like Overhead Squats and shit where you can get hurt, but I don't like having to stress over being able to make it to a class if you know what I mean (especially when it cost $180 / month!).. I asked the guy who owns our current place about the over crowding of the 5 AM and 6 AM classes and he didn't seem to have much sympathy.  - so I am ready to just bounce..

enter the wife... and this "having to do stuff together" concept she is sort of pissed and feels like if I change gyms then she has too. Just doesn't make sense to me! She doesn't want to change, but her schedule is way more flexible than mine.  What's annoying is the small gym only has a 6 PM class 2 days a week, its almost impossible for those of us working the 8-5 schedule to make 5 PM unless I just sneak out of work at 3:30.  They use the 6 PM slots the other 3 days for personal training, which I guess pays them more but its an inconvenience to me. 

no real purpose to this , just ranting!

Sounds like the Anytime Fitness where I have a membership still but almost never use it (need to get back just for cardio 2-3x/wk).  Anymore than 8 people or so in their "class" area with the parquet floor and you'd be falling all over one another.

Its enough space for 8 and everyone can swing a barbell - some times on Saturdays they will have 10 and it is defin too crowded with all the running back and forth -

What's odd is the office space next to him has been open for a while - I think he could make it work if he would lease that and double his classes, or use that for personal training.

I like the owner, he is right at 40, his wife is like 29 and I literally think everyone there hates her, she just has an annoying voice - you can tell by how many people drop her classes when she is coaching - I think she tends to do the personal training and its a good place for her to be (anywhere except running a class)

Classes open 72 hours before for registration, so today the 5 AM class for Thursday was already full when I got up at 5:15 AM - I just don't need that extra BS in life to fight for a spot when there is one down the street doing the same thing - The main thing I like at the current place is there are lots of people our age there - not sure of the demographics of the other place, seems slightly younger

I have always made fun of this group of people but I think the thing that makes me go back is I like talking shit to the other old dudes my age on lifts and such and the general competitive / motivational banner we all give each other.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was at 260 this Christmas, it wasn't pretty :(  being 6'2" you can hide a lot - I am just glad to be back to XL shirts to be honest!

I just can't get over the cost of CrossFit classes. I don't think I could swallow spending that much per month to workout, but maybe it motivates you, so that could make it worth it. 

3761117a1ca24cff0058fdfe3512ebc4.jpg

So going into week 3 at the new job and the 5 AM time slots I was worried about getting has not been a problem. Although it sucks donkey balls to wake up at 4 AM!

It also makes it difficult to stay up much past 8:30...

It also makes it difficult to stay up much past 8:30...
I’ll bet.  I hardly ever get home until ~7 and hitting the hay at 9-9:30 after eating so I can get up at 5-5;30 to go to the gym is a pita.  I’ve been pretty lax about it lately but desperately need to get back into the routine

I'm not on the 5 am workout crew, but I've been doing morning workouts the past couple of weeks. I do them at home, which saves commute time to and from the gym, and have been starting them in the 6:15 am to 6:45 am time frame. The workouts are 30-45 minutes long, so I'm usually done by 7:15 am. I like it! I don't have kids at home, but I appreciate not having to workout when I get home and instead getting to chill. Could do with a little more sleep though... I'm not great at getting to bed to get me any more than 7 hours of sleep these days.

MA- Get up and get that shit done!

I hate getting up but I love being done with it!

Last Wednesday I switched from 5 AM to 6 PM to work out with some friends and leaving work at 4:30 PM I barely made it to class- had like 2 min to spare (27 mile drive :( )

Also I am learning that most of the 5 AM crowd is a little more intense than the folks I had been working with so hopefully some osmosis or some shit will happen..

Last edited by a moderator:
I've started going to a 5 AM HIIT class. I wake up at 4:30 to get there and I'm excited that they'll be moving locations to be even closer to my house. 

But, yeah, I'm in bed at about 8:30 p.m. 

Yea, getting up at 4:30 is rough. I'm typically in bed by 9 with the lights off by 10 at the latest. I prefer getting the workout over with first thing, and once you get used to it, it becomes second nature, but you have to respect bedtime!

Back