2019 Novel Coronavirus

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's good to see most everyone here it taking it seriously. One of my sisters isn't (the one that lives in FL). Her and her husband have just been living life like normal since this all started. And yet, neither of them nor their two boys have gotten sick. Just last week her and all of her in-laws took a vacation to Gatlinburg for the week. All 20 of them. I would've thought after my parents got it that she would've had second thoughts about going. Must be nice going out and doing stuff and not worrying about perpetuating covid.

f935c205ca155c9f7d0d3ab896920080.jpg

At last we’re being spared from All those annoying back to school pics this year!!!
Right.  Thus far, we are still going back to school on the 24th.  We don't know what it looks like, but WE ARE DOING IT! Also, just got a notice that school picture day is coming up August 27th/28th! WTF.

today is last day to decide how you want to go back.  Hybrid or 100% remote.  The school board is having a special meeting wednesday to go over results of how parents deided and all the individual school plans.  They haven't said if they are FB living this special meeting, like the last one.

Charlotte schools have abandoned the hybrid method and are going 100% virtual.  Consequently, the YMCA is opening "camps" to basically babysit, and is even trying to convince the governor to let them open the camps in school buildings to facilitate the numbers they're expecting.  So, you will go to school in a room full of kids, that's not really school, to learn from home, except you're not really home, and your school teacher isn't at school.  

We're still homeschooling despite the move.  Every charter school and private school in the area now has wait lists that are thousands of students long, and they're also losing a ton of students to private homeschool options.  "Tutors" are also flooding the local FB groups offering services to effectively babysit/proctor the virtual academies.  

What a crazy world we're living in.

It just occurred to me this morning that I've been all "Ha, ha- Florida sucks" but it's hurricane season, so they will be actively traveling out of Florida with their germs and I'm pretty sure I don't want to see this Jerry Bruckheimer film. 

So I was able to slowly back in the number of cases / deaths from the CDC through June 5 so far.  Put them on the same scale. You can see a little bump in deaths as cases go up but it basically goes up and down- holding steady at around 850 / day this time period. 

I found the weekly death numbers buried on the CDC web site from before when I wasn't taking notes.

Not trying to make any ascertains that things are fine, just found it interesting.  I have the same data for Colorado but with # hospitalized # in ICU, etc and it looks very similar to this (Cases go up and up, hospitalized, ICU, deaths, stay fairly flat)

My conclusion is that we need a curfew on the young......... ;)

6.6.20to8.3.20.png

These are my gaps from when the CDC tracks data ( early February), that I am trying to fill in when I have time..

YTD_2.png

Last edited by a moderator:
So I was able to slowly back in the number of cases / deaths from the CDC through June 5 so far.  Put them on the same scale. You can see a little bump in deaths as cases go up but it basically goes up and down- holding steady at around 850 / day this time period. 

I found the weekly death numbers buried on the CDC web site from before when I wasn't taking notes.

Not trying to make any ascertains that things are fine, just found it interesting.  I have the same data for Colorado but with # hospitalized # in ICU, etc and it looks very similar to this (Cases go up and up, hospitalized, ICU, deaths, stay fairly flat)

My conclusion is that we need a curfew on the young......... ;)

View attachment 18280

These are my gaps from when the CDC tracks data ( early February), that I am trying to fill in when I have time..

View attachment 18281
Interesting. I always like data.

I'd be curious to see the y-axis plotted with a log scale. I might be wrong about this, but an uncontrolled infections would be expected to have exponential growth. So plotting it logarithmically would allow us to see if it's growing as expected, slowing down (implying that mitigations are having an positive effect), or speeding up (no idea why it would be speeding up).

Confession, I am really sleepy right now, and my brain is probably at 70ish percent, so I might have that all wrong.

^- I think anything less than a Cat 2 they probably don’t even buy milk?

My dad said to me “I spent 10K on hurricane shutters I want to see if they work!”

Back