The Running Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been on a hiatus since my triathlon in September. Guess I need the events to keep me motivated. Time to sign up for a half marathon. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been on a hiatus since my triathlon in September. Guess I need the events to keep me motivated. Time to sign up for a half marathon. 
I give myself about a month to be lazy after a big event and then start running again. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I give myself about a month to be lazy after a big event and then start running again. 
Sounds about right. I can just lose 6 months of work in a month if I'm not careful though lol. Just got a new treadmill so I'll be back to running this week.

Ragnar Napa is done! My legs weren't that tired by the end... Maybe I didn't run hard enough? My middle leg ended up getting shortened, so I ended up doing 18 miles during the race as opposed to my original 20-something.

I also did do a run bootcamp class (has anyone ever done done the Sally Up Squat Challenge? This is it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bql6sIU2A7k  and it sucks VERY MUCH in the middle of even just a three mile run) on Monday and a five mile run yesterday.

Toying with the idea (still) of joining a run club or even just a run group to get runs on my weekly schedule as just a thing that happens, to help hold myself accountable.

My middle leg ended up getting shortened...
giphy.gif

I had enjoyed some decent running through the fall. I was up to around 25 miles a week - which is tough for us old folks. now that winter darkness (its just great being pitch black at 5:00) has set in I want to transition back to weights more but also keep up some cardio for winter sports - so I did a few miles on the treadmill after weights last night, no matter which spot I take I always have some super douchebag get on the machine next to me and run full out, grabbing the handles of the machine to keep from falling off... making noises, and yes wearing a motherfucking headband.. :(

I hate treadmills, but I watched an episode of daredevil on my phone so it makes the time go by faster..

I had enjoyed some decent running through the fall. I was up to around 25 miles a week - which is tough for us old folks. now that winter darkness (its just great being pitch black at 5:00) has set in I want to transition back to weights more but also keep up some cardio for winter sports - so I did a few miles on the treadmill after weights last night, no matter which spot I take I always have some super douchebag get on the machine next to me and run full out, grabbing the handles of the machine to keep from falling off... making noises, and yes wearing a motherfucking headband.. :(

I hate treadmills, but I watched an episode of daredevil on my phone so it makes the time go by faster..
If I don't wear a headband, I go blind from sweat. 

I love strava just because of all the data you can geek out on.  Thats a cool article, but i think their conclusion is wrong - the incease in number of runners doesnt necessarily mean running is getting more popular, it could just mean strava is getting more popular.
Oh I didn't read it for whatever their conclusions were. I was mainly interested in what the graphics showed and the data Strava/RW parsed.

Your conclusion about Strava getting more popular is probably correct.

I really like Strava for biking. But for everything else, Samsung Fitness is where it's at.

my apple watch won't map my cross country skiing like it will if i select outdoor running for the workout.

Garmin Fenix 5 is pretty awesome - it will do that for you AK

I mean it should for $500+ bucks!

Only problem is when the ski tracks are over a summer time google earth image :(   (see mine in the skiing thread)

Back