The Running Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Someone I know asked if I wanted to be a part of her Ragnar SoCal ultra team... I've never done an ultra before. I thought about entertaining that idea, but then realized I am already registered for a half marathon that same weekend on Sunday. I don't think I'm badass enough to go do Ragnar SoCal as an ultra runner (i.e. running somewhere between 30-40 miles) between Friday and Saturday and then running a half marathon that Sunday that isn't a total shit show. Not to mention, they're on opposite ends of the state!

I did the 15k I've done for the past four years now on Sunday. It went alright. The weather was great, but I was little bit sick (and still am), so it might not have been the best idea to do it. Oh well! I'm still glad I got it in. I like doing a race in the first half of January. I feel like it sets me up well for running the rest of the year!

I did my first track workout in forever (I've never been one to run on a track) yesterday! The workout went something like this: 1 mile warmup, 6x400's (7-10 max effort) with alternating recovery 400's, and 1 mile cooldown.

It was interesting to do a true speed workout! I definitely am not that familiar with running on a track, and definitely also got out of my running comfort zone. I was gassed by the end, and didn't pace myself super well throughout my effort laps (essentially started out too fast, and paid for it by the end), but I felt very accomplished at the end. I did it with a run club that meets there every Wednesday, so I think I'm going to try to incorporate it into my weekly workout schedule.

Did Bay 2 Breakers yesterday! Slightly slower than years past, but I have NOT been good about my running routine this year. But hey, the 7 miles didn't feel so bad and my legs feel pretty good today, so I know that if I just make it a routine again, I could get back to decent splits again.

Last edited by a moderator:
YAY running!

I'm getting back into it. This last exam cycle jacked up my hip from all of the sitting. I'm seeing a new physical therapist and in 2 visits (with PT exercises on my own), I'm seeing less pain. Very excited to be running again, now if mother nature would cease with all of the rain. I have mountains to run up! 

My new PT is graduating me out of my orthotics since based on video evidence, they aren't doing what they're supposed to be doing and it seems largely pointless. So I got to run for 25 minutes with the stock insoles and it was great. Even with the constant ticking of the metronome app in my pocket

I did 6.7 miles with a run club for Ragnar's Chase the Moon Challenge last night! I haven't been as diligent about running on weekdays lately, so it was very nice to have some motivation to get out there and pound the pavement!

My running is ramping back up! I'm up to a cadence of 174spm for now, up 5% from when I first started seeing my PT. I've had so much less pain running now. It's amazing.

I "ran" up Mt Washington in NH on Saturday with a local 5k this Friday night to celebrate the longest day. And then I swing back into a training plan for a 10mi race this August. xD 

Dredging up an old thread, but I guess I'm allowed now.  Started couch-2-5K again this morning.  Not going to guarantee I'll get back up to half-marathon shape again, but we'll see.

It's been about 5 years since I stopped running, but it wasn't too bad...probably shouldn't be considering you're only running for 1 minute at a time during the first week.  Apparently Nike gave up on the GPS game so my old Nike Sportwatch is now only good as a paperweight.  Would have been fine lugging along my iPhone but the battery was at 1%.  Fortunately I had my work phone at home too and the podrunner I use (electronic type tunes with prompts when it's time to switch between running and walking) is available online now.  My big splurge was a set of bluetooth earbuds from Five Below...spent a whopping $5.  If I stick with it, I plan on rewarding myself with an Apple Watch down the road though.

I got the Garmin Fenix watch a couple years ago and although its pricey I have really enjoyed it, running, hiking, biking, etc it does so much- The newer one also stores music -

I got mine when REI has there 20% of sales (Fall / Spring) I know it was like $400+ bucks but Its been great - it even allows you to store wayfinding points pretty easily (while hiking or back country skiing) -

Ive set a goal to do this next summer - anyone wants to do it with me you can crash at my house !  https://www.leadvilleraceseries.com/run/trailmarathonheavyhalf/

I absolutely loved my Nike watch.  It was super simple and was relatively inexpensive but worked really well..  I looked a some of the Garmin and FitBit watches, but I figured if the cost was going to end up being pretty comparable, I might as well go with an Apple Watch that'll be more than just a running watch.  Another huge plus over a lot of the GPS watches is that the Apple lets take music with you.  I probably wouldn't bother getting cellular, but I could still take my watch and BT earbuds and have everything I need for a run.

There is a new garmin watch that also lets you download music to it also  - my wife has that one and its nice not to have to take your phone with you. I wish they had come out with that version the year earlier when I got mine!

I don't know what all the iwatch does that these don't, I mainly got it for hiking and then learned it did all this other stuff, the plus for me is the battery life is around 10 days for me. (less if I do a long bike ride or really long hike, but still very good) -

But if you run and don't have a watch to track the run does it really count? ;)

Wife got me the Apple Watch as a gift.  (Probably being tracked 🤨). Took it on a hike with the cub scouts on sat.  It read 4 miles and I thought it was supposed to be 3.   Wondering if something is up with the GPS.  Even my walks across the city seem to show longer distance.  

My husband has had the VivoActive 3 for a few years now (maybe two?) and he really likes it! He uses it for runs and bike rides, and it has general functions as a smartwatch too.

I have a Fenix. There's a known issue with the altimeter. And the support guy was worthless. I'ts incredibly tempting to switch to COROS or Suunto (except the suunto apps are garbage) but I don't want to have to switch out my bike stuff too.

If you want a cheap GPS watch, there forerunner 10/15 (I forget which number is out rn). Or the vivos. The fitbit watches aren't great for running since many of the cheaper ones rely on connected gps so you'd need to carry your phone anyway.

Back