Random Topics 3.1

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay, so be honest with me, people! Who out there EVER rinses their rice before cooking it?

I'm asking because I actually DID that last night, and holy moly, the rice was fantastic.
I do. Seems to prevent foaming over while boiling.

DsG1XN3.jpg

I rinse the crap out of my rice.  Some brands are worse than other, but it's the difference between having rice vs. having rice glops.

Wow, so maybe I'm in the minority in never having done it...

I'm thinking of getting some large pan sieves to start the journey of milling my own flour, and think a great double purpose would be for rinsing rice too... This might be a new thing I simply have to do every time I cook rice!

Wow, so maybe I'm in the minority in never having done it...

I'm thinking of getting some large pan sieves to start the journey of milling my own flour, and think a great double purpose would be for rinsing rice too... This might be a new thing I simply have to do every time I cook rice!
I cook it in water. The point of rinsing it would be ????

I cook it in water. The point of rinsing it would be ????
I think it washes some of the starch off of of the rice, which can do things like prevent the rice from sticking together, which in turn gives a much better texture to the rice and better overall cook. I think I'm going to make it standard practice in our household!

My parents ordered a new router off amazon the other day. I went to set it up this morning, but I ran into a few issues. Right off the bat, when I opened the box I noticed there wasn't a pamphlet to walk through the setup and there was no user manual. I remember there being one in the router I set up at their office a few weeks ago (same make and model). I didn't need the guide anyways since I had just set one up, so I plugged the router in and opened the Linksys configuration app. The app normally works perfectly for me, but for some reason it wasn't finding the router. I was really hoping to walk through the app setup because it allows me to easily set the wifi name and password (I planned on keeping it the same as their previous router so I didn't have to go to all their devices and reconfigure the wifi). After messing with the app for a while I just decided to look at the bottom of the router to get the default network name and password. When I did that, I noticed something on the bottom. It was branded "Vivant Smart Home - Not for Resale." Then everything clicked as to why there wasn't any setup guide or router manual in the box, and why the app wasn't detecting the router. Somehow Amazon go ahold of a Vivant security system Linksys router. The box was exactly the same as a consumer model, but I guess Linksys goofed when sending them to Amazon? Idk.

Going to return it now and just run up to Office Depot. I don't trust buying electronics off Amazon.

My parents ordered a new router off amazon the other day. I went to set it up this morning, but I ran into a few issues. Right off the bat, when I opened the box I noticed there wasn't a pamphlet to walk through the setup and there was no user manual. I remember there being one in the router I set up at their office a few weeks ago (same make and model). I didn't need the guide anyways since I had just set one up, so I plugged the router in and opened the Linksys configuration app. The app normally works perfectly for me, but for some reason it wasn't finding the router. I was really hoping to walk through the app setup because it allows me to easily set the wifi name and password (I planned on keeping it the same as their previous router so I didn't have to go to all their devices and reconfigure the wifi). After messing with the app for a while I just decided to look at the bottom of the router to get the default network name and password. When I did that, I noticed something on the bottom. It was branded "Vivant Smart Home - Not for Resale." Then everything clicked as to why there wasn't any setup guide or router manual in the box, and why the app wasn't detecting the router. Somehow Amazon go ahold of a Vivant security system Linksys router. The box was exactly the same as a consumer model, but I guess Linksys goofed when sending them to Amazon? Idk.

Going to return it now and just run up to Office Depot. I don't trust buying electronics off Amazon.
Or someone bought a Linksys router and returned the Vivant one. 

I bought some solar powered outdoor lights from Lowes over the weekend and one of them was a rock rolled up in plastic - I mean it really wasnt an expensive item, $15? - annoying just to have to drive back to the store and "return the rock"

Shot a 145lb 6-point this morning. Using my dad's old PSE that's older than I am (the broadheads, too)!

Was one of 8 deer that I saw this morning.

Back