Random Topics 3.1

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Probably. Will need to get some sort of hefty case.

I completely forgot about the bugs in FL. The mosquitos have been absolutely terrible and fire ants haven't gone underground yet.

Has anyone applied for a passport card independently of their passport?  Do they take your passport from you in order to process the passport card? 

Our DMVs are literally booked out months for appointments, and I checked every DMV within about a 90 minute drive.  My license expires in mid November, and I can renew online, but can only get a Real ID in-person. 

If I can get a passport card, I don't need a Real ID, but I don't like the idea of mailing in my passport to get the passport card, since that leaves me with zero forms of identification that are permitted to get into a government building, or to fly in an emergency.

the form instructions say you bring it to the appt but submit copies with the paperwork.  I'd ask the local post office to be sure

Has anyone applied for a passport card independently of their passport?  Do they take your passport from you in order to process the passport card? 

Our DMVs are literally booked out months for appointments, and I checked every DMV within about a 90 minute drive.  My license expires in mid November, and I can renew online, but can only get a Real ID in-person. 

If I can get a passport card, I don't need a Real ID, but I don't like the idea of mailing in my passport to get the passport card, since that leaves me with zero forms of identification that are permitted to get into a government building, or to fly in an emergency.
i'm gonna have to re-do my license when the DMVs re-open. I had to renew my license in August and had always planned on getting the real ID when I did it (Maine dragged their feet on it for ages). But the office that does real ID is closed so I renewed and got the regular license. and my passport expired in may. but the real id requirements have been moved to 1 Oct 2021. but yeah i still need to go fix the passport situation too 

I got my real ID just before all this nonsense and the DMVs shutting down.  I needed it for work to get on base.  The DMVs around here have reopened but they aren't processing real ids at the momment since the deadline got pushed out again.  THey are focusing on plate and license renewals instead.  

the form instructions say you bring it to the appt but submit copies with the paperwork.  I'd ask the local post office to be sure
Going to have to, since they don't have passport card appointments available to select anyways, so I need to call and figure out how they want me to schedule it.

but the real id requirements have been moved to 1 Oct 2021.
This caught me out at the airport the other day.  That is true for Federal buildings, but NOT when states/airports require it.  I was in line at security at the Charlotte airport and had to have my wife rush me my passport since I too thought I didn't need it until 2021.  You could very well take off in one state, land, and not be able to make the return trip if that state has implemented Real ID requirements.

Back