Random Topics 3.1

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've gotta be honest, I rinsed my basmati rice last night (like 5 or 6 times), and I did not notice as much as a difference as I did with the jasmine. It basically tasted the same as no rinsing, which means I probably won't rinse basmati rice in the future. I think the lack of change might have been because basmati rice doesn't have as much body as jasmine.

Yes. You must keep up with the threads!!
There are too many threads.  I just want to try and talk about working out and maybe baking once in a while.

I'm doing a no-spend-vember this month, because eating out and coffee at work are killing me.  I am now bartering with co-workers.  I am baking cookies for lattes.

As for rinsing rice...I do it more for the rice cooker.  I was 'raised' by a group of Chinese girls in college and it's been beaten into my head.  Wash the rice.  Middle finger for water if on stove.  Fill to lines in rice cooker.  Add good salt.  Always make sure to fluff RIGHT AFTER or else burn on the bottom (which sometimes we like)

Yes, this!
50566171363_9025b2bf82_h.jpg

@JayKay PE, what does "middle finger for water if on stove" mean??
You stick your finger into the pot of rice. Where your fingertip touches the top of the rice layer, the water level should be at the middle of your finger before your first knuckle (the middle of your finger pad).

Sorry, being nosy.

I don't use a rice cooker. I use a pot on the stove.
I love my cheapo $16 rice cooker.  Has been used for over 10-years.  It's nice just throwing the rice in there with the water/broth and just ignoring while I do other work.  Frees up my stovetop and allows me to work on other stuff.  Like when I make stir fry, rice goes in first so it's done around when the stir fry is.

You stick your finger into the pot of rice. Where your fingertip touches the top of the rice layer, the water level should be at the middle of your finger before your first knuckle (the middle of your finger pad).

Sorry, being nosy.
Ah, this makes sense. The way it was written, I was lead to believe I had to be using my middle finger to do whatever! Not the case.

I love my cheapo $16 rice cooker.  Has been used for over 10-years.  It's nice just throwing the rice in there with the water/broth and just ignoring while I do other work.  Frees up my stovetop and allows me to work on other stuff.  Like when I make stir fry, rice goes in first so it's done around when the stir fry is.
Mr. Leggo doesn't like to have a lot of kitchen appliances around. I had a rice cooker once (like, right after graduating college maybe?) but I found I never used it! So I donated it, and have never looked back. 

while the mrs was at work last weekend i took the liberty to thin out our water bottle selection from the cabinet that is constantly a train wreck you cant even open..

and learned that apparently I made a tremendous error in judgement :D

while the mrs was at work last weekend i took the liberty to thin out our water bottle selection from the cabinet that is constantly a train wreck you cant even open..

uh-oh

that was not a good idea 

How DARE YOU? I mean, every bottle has it's own distinct purpose!! No other water bottle could fill the purpose of another water bottle. I mean, come on!

It needed to be done!  But the women in my house (wife and daughter) keep adding to the water bottle supply without retiring any  :dunno:

this bottle is for the house, this one for work/school, this one is for ONLY plain water.  Another is for lemon flavored water only...they add up

Back