Fitness Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought some of the gymnast wraps "JerkFit"    :eyebrows:   :eyebrows:   but they were a pain to get used to - so I just do like most and build up calluses and then tear them off during meetings

Didn't @engineergurl do this a few years ago? 
I did

I think she did? I wonder if she ever coached somewhere or if that was just before she moved back to Ga?

The owner used to have 3 part time coaches, basically members who got the "training" - but 2 have moved away so I can tell he is feeling a little stretched thin.  His wife used to coach about half the classes but lately she isnt doing more than 1 a day. Not sure whats up.   He asked me about it last weekend, but I sort of feel like I should be able to do most all the harder  movements first, which he says isn't required - 

I am working on a 5 year plan to exit the FT engineering world so who knows, I wouldn't mind being a part owner in one of these down the road.
I've since let it expire but did the trade off thing in Virginia for a bit.  Depending on the membership fees- it's a good way to offset your out of pocket costs.  Level I you are only going to cover basic movements and how to coach those with a focus on how to "not touch the client"  … at least when I took it.  I only paid half price because I did it when ArmyMan was active duty and they offered a military discount.

glad they let you out!

Are you going to have to go through an "on ramp" program or do they just work you in slowly?

Did your old place to wall balls?  We seem to use them in lieu of sprints for when its too cold to run - Ill be glad when it warms up...
There's a three-session one-on-one required upon joining. 

Old place did wall balls and I always wondered why they sucked so hard. It's one of those things where I think, "I used to do this on the playground and it was no big deal. What happened?" The answer is old. I got old. 

back when I crossfitted I would use a dremel tool to sand down my calluses.
I remember when someone first told me I'd need to sand my calluses and I thought, "I will never be that into this," and yet here I am, having to sand my calluses. 

I bought some of the gymnast wraps "JerkFit"    :eyebrows:   :eyebrows:   but they were a pain to get used to - so I just do like most and build up calluses and then tear them off during meetings
I molted a few at my desk the other day. 

EG - were you already a member where you coached some at?  This seems to be the primary method for the gyms around me.  Which makes sense.  When I was worried about getting the 5 AM time slot when I changed jobs I "dropped in" at the other 2 close to my house and 1 was an absolute shit show.

The "coach"  - "coached" from a chair at the front desk while messing around on his computer - I did not get a good feeling at all, later I learned its owned by a company and they have 3 other gyms in Denver (no real individual owner passion).. lots of youger moms whose kids were running around in the back. which I get but it was a little distracting - for me and their moms I think..

The other one I really liked, but its just slightly too far to make convenient for me - but they had a higher mix of guys my age, lots of old man smack talking was going on which I could get used to.  And  they had all L2 & up coaches and I think there is a difference in that test (from what I have been told). Plus the owner is a fit 45 year old female (from Georgia actually), which I could dig - I try and go once a month just to keep in touch.  They have a slightly larger space and have a couples rate that would save us around $50 / month, but its a 10-15 min drive, versus a 2 min drive. Which makes a big difference for me trying to be there at 0500..

But I do really like the owner / head coach at our gym, he is 41, and if it wasnt for him  would be at the other one mentioned above,  but his wife just turned 30, very annoying, very clicky.  My wife showed her her stomach one time, and said this is what happens when you weigh 120 lbs and have a 12 lb baby  - to which she replied that that wouldn't happen with proper nutrition - I was surprised that my wife and the other moms there didn't throat punch the little twat whose never had kids.. Luckily she doesnt coach / teach much and seems to just do the "nutrition coaching" but she is basically a high school graduate (from Montana, lol) who took the XF nutrition class - versus Mrs RG BS Nutrition / Dietetics..

The class is a grand, he keeps asking me if I am going to do it but right now I dont feel like losing a weekend (during ski season) and then also a  grand, I am playing hard to get to see if he will split it with me and then we could work out a deal.  But I dont think I could do more than just the early saturday class. But I guess if it saves me $180 a month then maybe that's more  vegas money.. But he also likes to do a 10 class "shadow" training before you get turned lose, which makes sense, but is also something I would have a hard time squeezing in - with the FT engineering thing happening..:( 

-

CSB - I think the on ramp idea was good, we had to do 6, which I thought was overkill. I think 3 is perfect - 

I haven't been to the gym in nearly a week.  This sinus/chest infection and antibiotics have really whooped my butt.
Same.  Not a sinus infection, though, just life stuff.  Now I just want to get outside...

If any of you are trying to sneak in some extra protein, Mrs. Supe turned me onto this one - Premier Protein drink, caramel flavor.  30 grams protein and I think 160 calories?  Tall cup, fill it with ice, bottom third or so of it coffee, dump in the caramel protein drink.  It was surprisingly good, and not sickeningly sweet like Starbucks.  Will probably be my morning go-to once the warm weather rolls in.

FWIW, I really like the fit and feel of the Rogue t-shirts.  They comprise about 2/3 of my entire wardrobe, with the other 1/3 being Tri-Blend "Next Level" t-shirts from my gym.  Three ships free, baby!

I am so over my chocy whey protein shake, I need something else - at this point I would rather watch an hour of Mike Bloomberg ads than drink it anymore!  - Where did you get the caramel one from? 

CSB - Welcome to the Suck!  - Do yall do partner workouts on Saturdays?  Maybe Ill come north in a few months on a weekend the wife is working?

I had a  "wod" this morning that I have never wanted to quit so bad in my life. 30- Front Squats, 30 lateral burpees, 4 min rest, 30 power clean and 30 lateral burpees (for  time, 18 min cutoff) - We were encouraged to go heavier on the weight, I did 135 (which doesn't seem that bad) and it was pretty easy for the front squats but I was doing singles on the power cleans after death from lateral burpees - which I F'n hate because I always think I am going to trip on the bar and faceplant into the plate - anyways I never look at the clock during the workout but the "coach" told me I had 30 seconds left to finish my last 5 burpees so hoping I would puke I picked it up the pace to finish,  when I was done I was at 16:03 and I was like dude WTF??, he just laughed and said he thought I was sandbagging it, I felt like shit, went home and cried a little in the shower 😉 then later I  looked and saw that I beat all the 30 year old dudes in the 6 AM class by over a minute, I forget that the 5 am group has the more fit people in it. But i just hate when I am last by several minutes and get 3 minutes of "cheering"  😞  from the whole class..

tenor.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Where did you get the caramel one from? 
We got ours from BJ's.  BJ's and Sams seem to have the best price by a decent margin, but you can get them on Amazon also.  They also have coffee, cookies and cream, and chocolate flavors in addition to a bunch of fruity ones, but I've only ever seen the vanilla, chocolate, and caramel ones in the wholesale clubs.  You can get 4 packs of some of them from Walmart, but cheaper to just buy a case of 12 online.  

71G260LLR5L._AC_SY879_.jpg

I also picked up a 40 pack of these for $4.  4C Energy Rush?  Slightly carbonated citrus, orange, and berry flavored drink packs.  They're not bad.  I actually like the citrus one, the berry tastes kind of like that blue Mountain Dew, the orange is kind of meh, but I like fizzy drinks and it's a nice break from Crystal Light packets.  They also dissolve really well, I don't even have to mix them when pouring into cold water.  They're sweetened with Splenda and only 5 calories each.  Caffeine is pretty mild, only 80 mg/8 oz.  

91zjCC4DvML._SX425_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I am so over my chocy whey protein shake, I need something else - at this point I would rather watch an hour of Mike Bloomberg ads than drink it anymore!  - Where did you get the caramel one from? 

CSB - Welcome to the Suck!  - Do yall do partner workouts on Saturdays?  Maybe Ill come north in a few months on a weekend the wife is working?
I should ask. It didn't look like a partner workout this Saturday; instead it was a lot of running and some kind of lifting (I was in a solo session, so I didn't really pay attention). We're a $10 drop-in fee. Give me a few months to get fit. Er, not dying. 

I was at Costco yesterday and I noticed the stuff we got for $35 bucks (right after new years) was back at $49.99 😞

I will figure out a way to pick some of that up - I even added some banana flavored almond milk and it still gets old fast. (aint ever seen no tits on an almond though)

We got a keurig for xmas - mainly for my shitty commute, it saves me 10 min or so, but it makes making a quick cup before going to they gym a snap - I haven't gotten into buying the "pre wod" stuff yet - 

CSB - did you get any of your old 5 am'ers to come across to the dark side with you to the new place?

Yes! Two of them showed up this morning for a trial. One guy really liked it and confirmed that we were already doing a lot of these movements. 

I'd like to put in a plug for Vega Salted Caramel. Ignore that it's vegan; I like it for the taste. Hit up their website directly- they are usually running deals. 

Again, I'll plug True Nutrition, where it is incredibly simple to customize your own protein powder and order in bulk. You can also customize smoothie mixes, pre workout things, post workout things... While I only have experience with the protein powder, I have no reason not to believe these other products are worthwhile too. 

So they announced today that the gym owners wife is pregnant, due in August, which makes a little more sense why he was scouting out some part time coaches - 

I always enjoy watching someone who is having kids later in life who profess that their kids wont ever eat birthday cake, or ever have a soda, etc, actually have to try and walk that walk. 😄

So they announced today that the gym owners wife is pregnant, due in August, which makes a little more sense why he was scouting out some part time coaches - 

I always enjoy watching someone who is having kids later in life who profess that their kids wont ever eat birthday cake, or ever have a soda, etc, actually have to try and walk that walk. 😄
It's my favorite. Parenting looks much easier on paper. 

Again, I'll plug True Nutrition, where it is incredibly simple to customize your own protein powder and order in bulk. You can also customize smoothie mixes, pre workout things, post workout things... While I only have experience with the protein powder, I have no reason not to believe these other products are worthwhile too. 
I placed an order and have three different things coming my way. I was impressed with the products and the offerings. Taste will be determined. Thanks for the heads up! 

Latest posts

Back