Fitness Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do y'all not believe in magic radiation pictures where you are? 

Today back squats in the rig and I chose a pretty conservative weight for the first round and our trainer came over and was all, "Girl." I bumped it up by 5lbs for each round and now I'm kind of wondering what my max on a squat might look like. Definitely acknowledging that my max weight at home over quarantine was 80 lbs and I didn't gain anything there. 

We then finished with 10 box jumps and a 500 m row, with a time goal of 4 minutes and I came in right at 3:56. I was the last one because box jumps are still my nemesis.  

:Locolaugh:

now I'm kind of wondering what my max on a squat might look like
E0z4Wc3Gb3GfgoZbl9H5nZ-x8xbeTYtG521RIwKc4M9z00BGio4TlgqY8JPAR3rNhTbJzirUGuYCr3NKSt0T8eoE-dmq1CBU2DmjDV9QjxIUjg0Xqx65QogTfoOfOEqTyBNGXNKtaxiIBsHO2cduEPHJkA1dsXMN1ng

Today back squats in the rig and I chose a pretty conservative weight for the first round and our trainer came over and was all, "Girl." I bumped it up by 5lbs for each round and now I'm kind of wondering what my max on a squat might look like. Definitely acknowledging that my max weight at home over quarantine was 80 lbs and I didn't gain anything there. 

We then finished with 10 box jumps and a 500 m row, with a time goal of 4 minutes and I came in right at 3:56. I was the last one because box jumps are still my nemesis.  
Did the previous gym not do much in the way of weights / squats?  I forget you got kicked out of the "box' right after you got started..

Does everyone else sort of have a gym friend you friendly compete with and when they think you are at your max, and they are at your same weight you slide on some 2.5 lb biscuits on each side when they are not looking??  I did this today on the sumo dead lift, always funny to me.... surprise bitch!  - Im not a huge fan of that movement - always feel like I am going to drop the weight on my feet..

Overall I feel like my strength has come back fairly strong, but anything gymnastics related I am just sucking at -

Did the previous gym not do much in the way of weights / squats?  I forget you got kicked out of the "box' right after you got started..

Does everyone else sort of have a gym friend you friendly compete with and when they think you are at your max, and they are at your same weight you slide on some 2.5 lb biscuits on each side when they are not looking??  I did this today on the sumo dead lift, always funny to me.... surprise bitch!  - Im not a huge fan of that movement - always feel like I am going to drop the weight on my feet..

Overall I feel like my strength has come back fairly strong, but anything gymnastics related I am just sucking at -
Nope. The largest dumbbells we had were 20s. Everything else was trying to get your body up and over/on things or ridiculous grip strength kind of things. This is why I'm amazing at kip swings because it's just the beginning of a lache, but I lack the muscle to get up to the bar. It is very, very nice to be lifting heavy things. 

The guy across from me on the rig had like 250 on this morning...as I'm sliding my little 5s on for the last round. 

My cardio appears to be gone, but I think it's a combo of it being mildly gone and also the extra weight. 

Last edited by a moderator:
you will be surprised, your back squat will go up quick - I think Mrs. RG is twice what hers was when she started - But its god to get comfortable with it before adding a lot of weight also.

I swear we spend more time with front squats, or front box squats than back squats - I sucked at them in the beginning but they are coming around - Our owner also really likes the zercher squats,  I am glad I saved the legs I cut of this old wet suit I have, I use them on my arms and they work pretty well..

Zerchers are the devil.  I need to try to hit close to 400 on a zercher by November for my comp.  One friend from the gym is a massively strong guy, close to 300 lbs, but is so mobility limited at the bottom of the zercher, he struggles with 135 right now.  Hope to work with him to get the numbers up.  

I guess all these front squat type movement really engage your core? I am assuming that is why they trend in the XF world?

I did 245 Zercher Box Squat (with no pad) last week, Id say I could have done an extra 35 lbs easy if I had remembered to bring my arm pads ;)  well maybe more like another 10 lbs - but the 245 felt good, I think we were doing 2 reps at the end - but in general I am taking it slow coming back, those first 2 weeks were pretty tough on the body..

I guess all these front squat type movement really engage your core? I am assuming that is why they trend in the XF world?
Yes, and they also translate better to "functional movements" than back squats.  For example, front squats/zerchers are frequently prescribed as accessory work for front carries/stone loads, because they load the hell out of your lats.  They also put the spine in less compression, so as long as you keep your posture upright, they can be safer than back squats.  

I see Front squats as an accessory movement.  Lots of crossfitters and oly lifters use FS because of how it translates to cleans, etc.  But the couple of Oly folks I know use back squats(high bar) during their hypertrophy phase or their strength block to pack on muscle.  you will see greater strength gains overall with back squats because of how it taps your CNS.

Guy I used to work with was big into triathlon/Ironman events.  He was always in a cast of some shape or form for several years.  Finally, he got really badly injured when he was hit by a car on his road bike.  He lived, but was in a full body cast for a very long time before eventually being laid off as we entered bankruptcy.

When i was an active runner I would write down at least 1 twisted ankle and 2 months of aggravated knee inflammation when I was running..

So how do I get stronger with Front Rack Reverse Lunges?  They do not cause knee pain, but its just an awkward moment for me, I am weak at, I guess you get better by doing more of them?  But if were doing a series of movements, that one is always my weakness..

When i was an active runner I would write down at least 1 twisted ankle and 2 months of aggravated knee inflammation when I was running..

So how do I get stronger with Front Rack Reverse Lunges?  They do not cause knee pain, but its just an awkward moment for me, I am weak at, I guess you get better by doing more of them?  But if were doing a series of movements, that one is always my weakness..
ENGAGE YOUR CORE

I swear to gosh that everything you wobble on can be fixed by squeezing your butt and making sure those abs are tucked and tight. 

That movement would be quad dominant with some adductor and glutes in for good measure, so those would be your target areas.  I have pretty well developed quads but know my adductors are weak, and that's why my lunges suck.  

Back