Fitness Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glassman has always been a strange bird and is used to saying stupid shit and no one outside the XF world really knew who he was -  but now its going to cost people their livelihoods  -Its weird because he is the 100% owner of it and there really isn't anyone to make him step down and from talking to the guy that owns our gym he said that XF HQ is pretty much worthless to begin with, but the brand was good, I think he said all they pay to XF is $5K a year - but everything else is on them.

It would be nice for a large brand like rogue to take it over - but I think what the affiliates liked is that it wasnt the McDonalds franchise model - you dont have to buy the mcdonalds napkins, plates, toilet cleaner, etc  - Glassman is a true libertarian-  but he has stepped in it

Why he would invoke the name Floyd in his tweet was beyond careless - I still cant figure out the point he was trying to make to be honest.  

I recommended our gym to change there name to Sledpull, Inc, but not sure if that is a real membership getter - people will have a problem paying $150 / month for "Joes Community Fitness Center" 

A few months ago I did make a comment to my wife that XF is an overly white activity - I said it was like Lacrosse, something that got invented when the whites got left behind in other sports (Glad I didn't say that online!) 

Last edited by a moderator:
We didn't talk about it this morning, but I saw yesterday where my gym liked and commented on a post where Speal Programming distanced itself from CrossFit. I have to wonder which way we're going. 

I think the branding used to be worth the thousands of dollars a year, but that's only if your brand isn't a flaming dumpster fire. 

There's a HIIT place in town that's also $110/month for classes, so I think people are willing to pay stupid amounts of money for all kinds of fitness! 

people will have a problem paying $150 / month for "Joes Community Fitness Center" 
giphy.gif

The local bells-and-whistles gym nearby is $150/mo+, one of those Lifetime Fitness or similarly named chains.  I'm pretty sure if you wanted daycare and classes it was something like $230/mo for the family.

The local bells-and-whistles gym nearby is $150/mo+, one of those Lifetime Fitness or similarly named chains.  I'm pretty sure if you wanted daycare and classes it was something like $230/mo for the family.
But is there a tanning bed? 

I hope so.  I mean, are you even working out if you aren't laying on top of a sweat and Hawaiian Tropic-greased slab of plexiglass?

What will really suck is that the XF Community is pretty cool - annoying to outsiders, but cool, very encouraging, very motivating and very inclusive to anyone who wants to sweat a little -  Its worth every penny in my eyes - but to see it all get thrown out because of one dumb ass is going to be pretty sad. 

Mrs. Supe is almost ready to go back to the gym.  I'm scared of being able to measure how weak I've become!

Bike riding definitely seems to be helping.  Probably mostly attributed to the sweating than anything, but I lost 6 lbs last week without even paying much attention to diet.

Hit trail #3 on Saturday.  Went around 6:30-7:00 so we could get in a little over three miles before it got dark.  Temps were still around 88F (down from 92F) and humid AF since we had rain on Friday afternoon.  Three muddy areas, but the rest of the trail was clear.  This was the other trail that was part of the greenway system we went to previously.  Less elevation change (by 100 ft, and it was a longer trail), fewer really fun spots, DEFINITELY the more technical trail with some decent rock gardens, big roots at the top of short, steep climbs, etc.  Had my foot down in several spots, and hugged one tree after losing momentum.  Still had to stop in several places to cool off/stop wheezing, but mad it.  Then I sat in the truck for ten minutes or so wondering where Mrs. Supe and Junior were.  Apparently Junior was ready to barf this time, not me, threw in the towel, and walked it out the last quarter mile or so.  

I really do have the question the people who choose to hike in the middle of a single track trail, especially in a greenway that has multiple dedicated walking-only trails and paths.  

Did suffer at least one casualty though.  Started hearing a clicking noise coming from the bottom bracket area on a steep climb at first, and then more and more frequently.  I'm HOPING its not the bottom bracket, because getting anything serviced at Trek right now will be a nightmare.  I THINK it's just the right pedal.  The left one is still tight, but the right one has already developed slack on the inner bearings - I could actually rock the pedal side to side about 1/16" or so on the spindle.  Hopefully that's just it, the company called me yesterday and is sending a replacement.  If my fat ass kills a second set of pedals, I guess I'll just have to buy the RaceFace ones instead.

I also bought hydraulic brakes for Junior's bike, only to realize when I went to install them that the bike came with some shitty brake/shifter combo that Shimano uses with mechanical disc/v-brake bikes.  Even if I popped the lever out, one of the shift levers is oriented on top of the bike, so it would hit the new brakes.  Had to fork over another $32 for a 3x8 shifter set from Shimano that I ordered which were a NIGHTMARE to find in stock, no clue when it will get here.  I'm hoping the pull ratios are the same for all the Shimano stuff, because I have no way of knowing until I install it!
I think one is not a true mountain biker until they realize some unsuspecting uphill at the end of the ride and start to cry a little? 

Then I must be the real deal, because I cry like five times before I even get to that point.

Any recommendations for camelback or similar for hydration?  Main concern is that it stays put/doesn't shift around.  I am going through a full Gatorade big green water bottle in about 3 miles.  

Although this is what I bought for snowboarding, I use this in the summer for mountain biking and I found it doesn't ride as high on my neck as a standard camelbak. stays snug for both riding  some freshies and riding some single track- I just take the insulation part of the "straw" so the water isnt hot..  they sell some smaller ones for biking that just dont really carry much water / stuff - 

https://www.camelbak.com/en/packs/R01063--Snoblast?color=65608aac31fe425b8b5739515cfd4aa5

I like Nathan's stuff too. I have several of their handheld running water bottles and a few of their lights too (including the handheld flashlight), and love all of their products. I've been wanting one of their hydration packs for a while, but don't do activities that warrant it often enough.

Thanks.  I don't really need to be able to store anything other than maybe a keys and a spare tube, and as it is the keys are in my pocket and I'll probably just zip the innertube to the frame.  I bought a small pack for the multi-tool, my inhaler, and CO2 pump/gauge, but that lives on Mrs. Supe's bike.  

So we went to the local park that finally reopened after all the rain (and will be closed again starting this morning as it poured last night).  It's the closest one to the house.  TONS of fun.  Very few long, sustained climbs - mostly short punchy ones, not a ton of roots everywhere but gnarly ones where there are, and a shitload of man made berms that make riding it like a rollercoaster on a bike.  I managed to get a couple jumps in without dying, and ALMOST had the balls to go on this thing.  Just to see how it would be, I went down the two ramps/drops for the lead in, and rode out the dirt part of the berm in lieu of the wall.  I think it's pretty doable even for my fat old ass.  You gain so much speed on the second drop in because of how (deceptively) steep it is, that I think it was probably harder for me to scrub speed and stay on the dirt than to just let physics do its thing.  At least for last night, the thought of falling and breaking something or jacking my shoulder up again was a bit too much, but I will ride that thing before summer is over.  The only downside to that place - the signage is virtually nonexistent.  I couldn't even find one of the three loops, and the trails regularly cross, turn into two-ways, and even fork into three paths with only an occasional red arrow that does nothing to show which trail it actually belongs to.  We encountered probably a dozen lost riders along the way.

maxresdefault.jpg

you may need some of those dirt bike shoulder pad things?

We did a little hike last weekend - since I am an eagle scout  I normally take things like a map.. but we came across a lady who literally walked out of the woods onto our trail - I think she had went off trail to pee and got lost - but she was  fairly frantic and asking how to get back to a certain trail head  (which was around 3 miles away) we are pretty familiar with this area so I was telling her how to get back and she was very skeptical- so I pull out "the topogrpahic map" and show her where we are and how to get back to the trail head (where I presume she started) and she basically tells me I dont know what I am talking about and proceeds to hustle the opposite way... I never say any news reports of lost hikers but Rocky Mountain National Park is not a place you want to get lost - I am just assuming she was from California but it was very strange..

She'll probably stop to ask Yogi for directions when she's six miles away from the trail.  

I got really into lost persons behavior after being allowed to tag along on a S&R a couple summers ago and she sounds like the assholes that have to be found at night. 

PSA- always bring a light with you, preferably something other than just your cellphone light. Even if you don't intend to be out after dark, it can be the difference in you making it down off the trail or not. The majority of lost hikers have the old "Well, it was just a day hike." If you bring nothing else, bring a light. 

Back