Fitness Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i think in about a year i would be ready to do murph again. that 2nd mile sucks!  there was this Kiowa pilot back when i used to crossfit, kid was a beast, he ran his 2nd mile just over 6 minutes.  and it turns out his plate carrier was 27 pounds. WTF.

^- damn, I just want to be right at 9 min first mile, 20 min for the other BS and then <9 for the last mile - luckily for my knees everyone is sold out of plate carriers :D

CSB - Are they doing the other stuff outside or in the gym ( push ups and air squats)

Are you going back for good after this or just to squeeze murph in?

^- damn, I just want to be right at 9 min first mile, 20 min for the other BS and then <9 for the last mile - luckily for my knees everyone is sold out of plate carriers :D

CSB - Are they doing the other stuff outside or in the gym ( push ups and air squats)

Are you going back for good after this or just to squeeze murph in?
Other stuff is inside or outside of the gym- we're supposed to park on the street to keep the area free. 

I'm completely torn on being back for good. I just don't want to be the person that they are all, "She was fine and then she went to the gym and RIP." It still seems risky to be around all that heavy breathing. If I could be over by myself just outside the garage door, I'd be okay, but then I couldn't see the whiteboard. I'm starting to have guilt about having my equipment at home. I keep clicking that Rogue link here and looking at the box and then coming to my damn senses. 

the wife and I went together today, (only ones there) she wore a mask and made me wear one also- it sucked.. we have a very small gym and even 4 people would seem tight to me..

your gym looks larger? I stalked them on instagram to get other at home work ideas, do they have those large roll top doors?

But I am sure if they had an issue with you and the equipment they would say something - I would stretch it out until you feel right.  We have only done solo workouts so far (other than today) but other classes are full (with 4 people).

That box I made goes up to 20" and you can make with just a circular saw for around $50 bucks - I am sure your kid is bored ;)

and for the love of god I wish my kids would stop buying fucking ice cream!!!!!!! #nodiscipline

Also, GoRuck challenges are and seem cool, when they come back. I've only done one - a light. But it was decently intense for my level of fitness at the time (I think it was the same year I completed my Spartan Trifecta, so my fitness was at a decent level). And their products are super high quality! Great company, too.

https://www.goruck.com/goruck-challenge/

Last edited by a moderator:
lol tried to edit my post and hit delete - 

I think one of those go rucks might be fun, but did one in the army, actually 2 times - 12  mile road march, 35+ lbs ruck, + weapon, + squad ammo and a Kevlar helmet - under 3 hours - wasnt any fun and that was in my 20's!  maybe it would bring back bad memories, but probably one of the toughest things I have ever done to be honest.

in other news, forgot how heavy a 20 lb wall ball feels after around 40 of them... i tired to use a 14 but the coach rolled me a 20 :(

I tried backing out of Murph again. "Hey, if she needs a spot opened, I could do this at home..." They weren't buying it. 

We do have the big roll doors. The gym is in what used to be an old auto shop. In fact, I once had a heater core replaced there for $1200 GD dollars in 2000, but don't get me started. I told them that Murph seemed like it involved a lot less moving around near people and they agreed- it should be a good workout to be in the gym for and then still workout otherwise at home. 

My legs are blown after today. We were supposed to use a 14 lb medicine ball for cleans, but I only had a 10 pound slam ball or a 30 lb sandbag and ended up using the sandbag with lowered reps. I finally asked at the end of the workout, "What's tomorrow? Are we just sitting in a chair and lifting our arms?" I nearly cried tears of joy when she said it was 400m repeats and I am never down for 400m repeats in a running schedule. "All I have to do is run?" What has happened to my life? 

If you can do everything but the pull ups outside then that seems fairly safe - I am sure they are not pushing you but you can always back out :D   But you will get a little bit of that pick me up by being somewhat around other people I imagine.  

Since not many people are going we are in the gym  more than I had anticipated - there is a crowd at 6:30 am and 9:30 am but other times are dead - I know he has to be worried if people are going to come back - 

Our 400M run is partially obscured so I like that I can slow down once I am out of sight if I need to :D

Stopped raining, but then is supposed to start again after work.  I'm never going to get to work out/ride bikes this week :(  

So Junior and I went for a bike ride after work today.  Turns out the adjacent subdivision has some short but pretty rough/bumpy trails in it.  I'm slow and fat, but had a blast riding through there, even at crawl speeds because its so slippery.  Junior even did it on her mother's hybrid bike.  I'm taking her tomorrow to go find a mountain bike and some helmets for us both.  Going to try one shop first and look at their used inventory.  Otherwise, there's a place called the Recyclery that rebuilds donated bikes, and their current inventory lists shows a couple older Gary Fisher, GT, Specialized, and Trek bikes for under $300, so we'll make an appointment and swing by if we strike out at the first place.  

Struck out at both bike places. Turns out Junior's new bike is my like-new Diamondback, and I left the Trek store with a Marlin 7 for myself 😬

I still recommend them padded bike shorts...

I dont know if its related to the overall frenzy of people buying gym equipment but I have been trying to find some new lifting / XF shoes in a size 13 for a while, places will say they have them and then I get the backorder email.  I drove up to scheels after there website said they had some, but they didnt, same for the local running show stores.. last resort is Nike has some seriously ugly metcon 4's in my size at Dicks (but I hate spending $ there)

The havent let the "upscale" outlet mall here open yet (which seems dumb since its an outside mall) so I as maybe going to give them another week and see if there NIke or Reebok stores have any..

Murph went pretty well- good 1st mile run time around 9 min. The women that signed up with us were all really fast. I could tell the wife was not happy being last in from the run (not sure why she worries about that) but i Defin got an eat shit look when I passed her after the half mile point (our mile course is an out and back)

Last year I did all 100 ring rows and all elevated push ups (I think at least 2-12” boxes” - this year I managed 15 pull
Ups and did 150 push ups before going to the boxes - the 300 air squats didn’t feel near as bad as last year -

The push ups slowed me down - I tried to do 5(pull ups) 10 (push ups) 30 (air squats) for 20 rounds - but ended up having to take breaks on the push ups and did like 2 push up then 5 air squats

Finished the middle portion at 38 min so I headed out the door hoping to be a good bit under 50 min...

I see that the wife is right behind me... the younger gals headed out several minutes earlier - so I ran the 2nd with the wife so she wouldn’t have to finish by herself...

The things we do for love....

53:12 (almost same time as last year)

I wish I hadn’t had over used my elbow - 100 pull ups is a lot but that’s my goal for next year...

I still recommend them padded bike shorts...
I finally caved and ordered a pair.  They're the mtb kind with the sewn in padded liner.  Should be here mid-week.  But soreness has been cut WAY down since swapping that seat, though.  I gave Junior the Bontrager seat off the Trek, and she's holding up OK so far, but may need a new one herself.

I couldn't believe how wiped out Dick's was.  Not a single adult bike helmet in the entire store, so I ended up having to order three of them off Amazon with the adjustable MEPS system to make sure they fit (the click-type adjustment for the suspension).  REI still has its stores closed other than online pickup, and they don't show what inventory, if any, the local stores already carry, which makes it completely useless.  

My super-purple-that-looks-pink platform pedals showed up yesterday, but that's OK, I'm safe in my masculinity :D   Much wider and grippier than stock, even though I already flattened a couple pins on the curb (whoops).  I kept slipping off the stockers.

I am determined to learn to bunny hop/wheelie/manual this thing.  I never thought it would be so much harder than a BMX bike.  You REALLY have to commit to throwing your weight back because the wheel is so big and the axle centerline is so far back!  But, I really want to be able to hop this thing over bigger roots/branches, and be able to level the bike out in case I go off any drops.  I'm sure part of it just has to be overthinking things, because surely the average person who takes up mountain biking can't do any of those things either when they start?

Probably ridden once or twice a day for the past 4 days or so.  Bike holding up OK so far other than some little plastic thread protectors that I think were there to protect the threads in the crankset, a wheel coming loose (quick release just not tight enough), and needing to adjust the front brake caliper (it was just barely dragging on the face of the fixed pad).  All good now.  

My legs are frickin' TIRED, but the quad pump is killer!

& just remember if you dont capture your ride on your gamin watch it didnt happen!

I havent gotten too crazy on jumps, but I dont have the double suspension bike and figured if I got too gnarly my 230 lbs would break the bike :D

I do really enjoy riding the bikes, had big mtn bike plans before 2020 happened :(

Our REI's are not open either, I actually biked there Saturday looking for something and they are still doing the curb side thing also

Back