Fitness Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a 20 year old Hardtail and I hope to get another 10-15 out of it!

I'm sure if I sat on a zillion dollar bike I'd find something else I'd "have to have", but I will say that hydraulic discs are the most noticeable improvement in any single component I've felt compared to all the stuff I rode around on 20 years ago.  Even compared to mechanical discs.  At about $75 for a set of Schimano hydraulic discs, that may very well be the one change I make to Junior's bike since those mechanical discs are not confidence inspiring, and she has already glazed the pads from riding the brakes on hills.

the newer bikes are just so cool though, especially the high end gear set ups on mountain bikes, this is the (ladies bike)  we rented last summer,  it was so much better than what we own.  I think this was like a $3000 bike?  Corona is keeping me from dropping some G's this summer on bikes for the misses and I..

IMG_1730.JPG

I got a used mountain bike at a local bike swap for $1,500 last summer. It was an upgrade from my previous mountain bike, and has hydraulic disc brakes (upgrade from the clincher brakes), is full suspension, 27.5" wheels, tubeless tires (new to me), a dropper seat post (sweet for descents, but I'm still learning how/when to use it), and a 1x gearing. I was leary of the 1x, but I find I can climb anything, even with less gears.

So, that being said, you don't need to drop several Gs to get a cool bike. Check out the local bike swaps, Craigslist, etc. The person looking to get the latest, greatest thing could be a win for you!

In the current climate, it is MUCH easier to find good, reasonably-priced high end bikes than it is entry level, that is FOR SURE.  Two grand will buy you just about anything a mere mortal needs on the used market.  I've even seen some $8000-$10000 bikes being sold for mid $3K because the team is sponsored by a given brand and is contractually obligated to ride the newest model year, LOL.

We took my bike out of the rafters...rode around the driveway for the first time in like 5 years.   We bought some low end Fuji bikes probably 11 yrs ago now.  Mr snick has a crusier and I have a mountain bike with the suspension on the front fork.  

^ the seat drop was very werid to get used to on the rental had!

What we had planned to do was buy something from one of the winter park bike rental shops at the end of this summer.  We are still going to try and do that - we rented from 2 places and they said they always sell there fleet at the end of summer and buy new in the spring.  not sure how active a season they will have this summer but maybe we could get the sale price with less miles.

We actually are not planning to buy ski passes next year (pour out a 40) because I just have a feeling its going to be a shit show - we may buy some 4 packs to Loveland but since we dont have to drop some $$ on ski passes we will have some to put towards the bikes..

Related to fitness, I really enjoy doing the snow shoe up berthoud pass and ride down, there are 2 runs which are easy (avalanche free) - its like a 40 minute walk for a 10 minute "ride" down, but I could get by a year doing that. But I am also afraid all of Denver will be doing that if the resorts get told to shut down again..

I'm torn between thinking that everything will be slammed based on people wanting to get out, or at normal capacity due to that being offset by job/income loss from all this.

BTW, Mrs. Supe's Jamis bike is actually pretty nice.  Definitely a bit lighter than the Trek, just feels more compact/nimble when you sit on it (in part due to being a 27.5).  Biggest difference for sure is that front fork.  I never realized how big a step up the RockShox are from the Suntour XCR.  It's still a lockout fork, but man, the adjustment is ROUGH.  The RockShox will definitely be going on the Jamis or Diamondback if I ever decide to upgrade to an air fork on mine.

On the plus side, none of my family members ever know what to get me for Christmas/Birthday/Whatever, so now I can just give them part numbers :D  

^ the seat drop was very werid to get used to on the rental had!

What we had planned to do was buy something from one of the winter park bike rental shops at the end of this summer.  We are still going to try and do that - we rented from 2 places and they said they always sell there fleet at the end of summer and buy new in the spring.  not sure how active a season they will have this summer but maybe we could get the sale price with less miles.

We actually are not planning to buy ski passes next year (pour out a 40) because I just have a feeling its going to be a shit show - we may buy some 4 packs to Loveland but since we dont have to drop some $$ on ski passes we will have some to put towards the bikes..

Related to fitness, I really enjoy doing the snow shoe up berthoud pass and ride down, there are 2 runs which are easy (avalanche free) - its like a 40 minute walk for a 10 minute "ride" down, but I could get by a year doing that. But I am also afraid all of Denver will be doing that if the resorts get told to shut down again..
What's the "next year" shit? Go ski A Basin! 

We could enter the lottery since we have an IKON pass.. They are doing  600 max tix a day?  So far they are filling up quickly..

The wife is filling out permits just to hike at Rocky Mtn NP. this summer :(  

I think any bike you can ride is a good bike!  - I dont know why, but the bike community is a little weird, almost insufferable , (they are sort of like vegans and look to find ways that people dont like them or something)  when we did Tour the Moon we got the  "oh you bought bikes from REI" and "Oh you need to get clip less peddles," I was like, I just smoked your ass up that hill douchebag... and this is my first rodeo.....

Yeah, there's an awful lot of "I don't know why anyone would spend less than $3k on their first bike" types out there on forums/reddit from what I've seen.  One post was asking for recommendations on an MTB for his girlfriend who had NEVER RIDDEN A BIKE, and they were trying to talk him into buying her a full suspension bike...

sounds a  lot like the diamond engagement ring sales folks and the bike sales folks too the same sales courses.  

Yeah, there's an awful lot of "I don't know why anyone would spend less than $3k on their first bike" types out there on forums/reddit from what I've seen.  One post was asking for recommendations on an MTB for his girlfriend who had NEVER RIDDEN A BIKE, and they were trying to talk him into buying her a full suspension bike...
This drove me crazy when I was looking for a bike. I've honestly not ridden a bike since high school and my wife pretty much had never ridden, so I wasn't prepared to spend a lot of money when I wasn't sure if we were actually going to get a lot of use out of them. I ended up finding a matching pair of used Cannondale MTBs for us that were in great shape for $400 total. They've been great so far and if we actually get into this more serious, then we can upgrade in the future.

I really like riding both my road bike and mtn bike but I dont think I ever want to be considered a "cyclist" (if that makes any senses) - doing the Tour the Moon actually made me want to be around that crowd even less to be honest (but I totally loved the ride)

I'm just hoping we really enjoy the trail riding.  I like riding bikes, I just hate doing it in neighborhoods or on city streets.  I'd rather take my chances with a tree stump than a car.  Even just cruising around here, there were already a couple instances where I stopped, look both ways, and as soon as I start to go a car comes flying around a blind turn at the top of the hill.  It's a frickin' death sentence.

I think you will, and I always heard NC has a shitload of mt biking of all levels.  Out here we ride the "greens" for the most part.  Ive got caught on some harder ones when I get lost and it was "less fun" - even the steep narrow downhills..

Im trying to plan a ride with some gym folks next weekend  - I assume we can do that "socially distant" but its more enjoyable than burpees, (until you get to those 10% uphills)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back