Fitness Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No garmin watch, but I did download the MTB Project app.  Pretty handy for finding local trails and seeing how they're rated (beginner, etc.).  Apparently this area has a group that took in a big project of creating a bunch of trails, and the one advanced one nearby has a big horizontal riding wall and several ramps, etc.  Looked pretty gnarly.  There are probably six different MTB trails nearby (<10 minuts), not counting the loop itself that connects three of them.  If we want to drive about 20 minutes away, the Whitewater Center has something like 50 miles of MTB tracks, and I think 19 trails that are tagged as beginner/intermediate.  Access is free to ride, just have to pay to park.  

My Trek is also not a full suspension bike, so thankfully they have a lifetime warranty on the frame for when my even heavier ass breaks it :D  

I think we're going to get this carrier: 

https://www.discountramps.com/wheel-mount-bike-rack/p/BC-3581/

Should be about $220 shipped.  I don't like racks that let the bikes hang/wheels turn.  These seem better supported, even if its heavier.

On a Trek, it's not the frame that's going to give but those awful Bontrager wheels they put on. 

Murph was so hard! We had 35 minutes or so to do everything we needed to get done on the rig before we had to move off to allow for sanitizing before the next heat. That meant I did four rounds of 25 ring rows/ 25 squats first, then jumped off to go into push ups and the rest of the squats. I was not prepared at all for trying to run that second mile. I ran out the garage door and started yelling. I looked like I was not familiar with my legs. It got better at the turnaround, though that could be because the out portion was uphill into the wind. Going up that hill I thought, "Did Murph also like sitting on the couch? Could he have done that?" 

we have a similar one - Thule, we got it when REI has there Fall 20% off sale- we opted to get a two bike carrier since we dont know how much longer we have to drag the kids around (but I have one I can put on top of the car if need be) - grab a really good cable lock 

- that 4th round of ring rows could not have been fun!

My triceps and front shoulders are pretty tight today, felt good last night but this morning is a different story!

I was expecting my knees to be on fire today, but knock on wood, they feel really good..

Its cool to see year to year, I think the wife knocked off 3 minutes off hers - me even running with the old lady I was still 30 seconds faster than last year!

When I first started the coach told me "it never gets easier, when you get stronger, we add more weight, more reps" - I didnt really understand that at first but now I see that it never does get easier,  so you can do 100 pull ups? okay now do it with a weighted vest, lol..

Last edited by a moderator:
On a Trek, it's not the frame that's going to give but those awful Bontrager wheels they put on
They're double walled, so I didn't think they'd be that bad given the price point?

we have a similar one - Thule, we got it when REI has there Fall 20% off sale- we opted to get a two bike carrier since we dont know how much longer we have to drag the kids around (but I have one I can put on top of the car if need be) - grab a really good cable lock 
It will be the three of us for at least a couple years.  The dedicated 3 bike ones just seem better built than the 2+2 stackable types?

They're double walled, so I didn't think they'd be that bad given the price point?
Yeah, I can't imagine you'll be stress testing it to failure the way some guys around here do. 

But when you post a video of you hitting a sick jump off a 8-foot drop and then the wheel tacos I'm going to be in the comments section all "See?" 

Yeah, I can't imagine you'll be stress testing it to failure the way some guys around here do. 

But when you post a video of you hitting a sick jump off a 8-foot drop and then the wheel tacos I'm going to be in the comments section all "See?" 
Rest assured, I'll be posting it from my hospital bed.

Bike carrier ordered.

My emergency kit came yesterday.  Pretty slick for like, $34 bucks?  Came in a little waterproof baggie.  Bead breakers and tube patches, multitool with chain breaker built in, a spare cable, zip ties, even had pocket-sized duct tape and some butt wipes in it!  Also has a pretty nice little how-to manual in it that's pretty well written with pictures including some of the weirder shit, like derailleur problems, etc.  I bought it mostly because the multi-tool got good ratings, but the rest of the kit isn't bad!

Smartgauge D2 also came (nifty little digital pressure gauge that swivels and takes presta valves), as did a pair of water bottle mounts because Junior needed one too.  

So I think I'm just waiting on the nut/butt saver shorts, saddle bag, and our helmets.  Gloves were on backorder, but hopefully they'll help with the hand going numb, since the right one has been messed up ever since my wrist surgery.

Then someone in one of the local facebook groups posted how many copperheads they've seen on the local trails lately (with pictures) and got me rethinking the hobby altogether...

Make sure to follow jerry of the day on Instagram also...(although them prics never take my videos)

I always take a spare tube with me as well. And then sometimes I bring the wrong pump and have to get rescued by 3 hot chics while out mtn biking (true story).

We also get liners for the tubes (out here anyways) to protect the tube from punctures - but I don’t know how prevalent the goat head / devils thorns are back East?

Also if you guys are still looking at vacay ideas next year - if the family gets into mtn biking - winter park has a ton of trails from easy to “no thank you” - winter park ski runs in the background..

Plus you can ride on old trestle bridges from the 1800’s (when mom isn’t there)
ac14a2e1cbcf04c5bf07ace863eb839d.jpg

I think we're more convinced than ever that our next vacation will be and outdoors one.  I just suspect this year will be a shit show with people taking late vacations and the price of plane tickets going nuts.  That looks pretty spectacular, though!

I think the small mountain towns want people to come next year, but there is tons of stuff to do in and around winter park,  its like a less snobby ski mountain town - lots of rental property in the area - aside from the major holiday weekends you can always seem to find a good deal on a condo or similar place to rent.

Trek is now completely sold out of anything less expensive than the bike I own.  The second LBS didn't have shit either.  Got lucky and called the third shop where I struck out shopping used for Junior.  Got lucky, they just got a fresh shipment in.  Mrs. Supe will be the owner of a Jamis Trail X A1 later tonight.  $600 with a lockout fork and hydraulic brakes.  Headset and frame not as nice as the Trek, but still a great bargain for what you're getting.  

my old Giant is still hanging in there.  of course now i want a new bike just because i see everyone else buying new bikes! 

the new ones are weird, they have one small gear in the front and a bunch in the rear (I dont know the name for that set up) but we had it on the specialized bikes we rented and they worked pretty sweet!

lots of folks here are getting into the fat tire bikes, more year round riding with those.

Mrs. Supe's new bike is a 27.5 vs a 29, but I honestly think I prefer the smaller wheels for the control/turning aspect!

I looked at the fat tire bikes, and price point aside, they just don't make sense around here.  We don't get any real snow, and with very few exceptions, most of the trails around here are closed for 24 hours after it rains.  I can see how they'd make a lot of sense for snowy/sandy areas and all-weather riding, though.

RG the 1X gear sets are getting pretty popular on the bikes that usually start around $1500 and up.  They save a lot of weight and hold up well because they're made of better materials and use a clutch-type derailleur to keep the chains on/tight.  My 2x9 alone feels much better than the 3x7 setup on my Diamondback, you pretty much only would need the second gear for really long, flat, high speed stuff or road use.

I'm glad we spent the bit extra on these bikes though.  I don't see any of us ever needing to buy another hardtail again.  The Trek and the Jamis can be readily upgraded, and any take off parts from one bike can be moved to another, including the Diamondback, which is a brake upgrade and fork away from being every bit as good as the Jamis.  

I'm calling buillshit!  The bike industry goes on about a 10 to 15 year cycle where they develop a new whiz-bang brake type or derailleur type that mounts completely differently, and makes your old frame ""obsolete"" (if you care about updgrading).

But that said, the disc brake thing has lasted a while now. I bought my last bike in 2006, a Specilialized Stumpjumper, hard tail, a step down from the top end. Way lighter than my previous bike, beautiful paint job (looks like an 8 ball!) and had the "new" disc brakes at the time. So I feel like that will hold up for me, especially now that I am turning into an old person.

I wouldn't stress about bunny hopping and jumps and shit. I can barely get over a small log and always have been that way, but I sitll have fun with mountain biking. I've flown over the handlebar my fair share of times and don't really care to anymore, thank you very much.

Back