Exercise/Weight Loss

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm really looking for a whole workout routine. I have dumbells and a bench and a universal machine thing that I haven't done much with. Usually while I'm folding laundry I go over and lift up a dumbell a couple times, do a couple squats. I'd like to come up with a whole set that I could do a couple times a week. I'm not looking to turn into a pop machine!

FW's tricep move is good and the lateral raise. What's a dip? If anyone has a routine they want to share I'd appreciate it.

A dip is when you hold yourself up on something like parallel bars and lower yourself down then push back up. Its very very hard (for me anyway).

my wife used to always ask me to "show her how to workout" basically because I look just like a broader lance armstrong :0

but I bought her a subscription to a womans fitness magazine , cant recall the name, but it is the female equivalent to "mens health" which has monthly workout routines geared for women, and it shows the "musc;e view" of what muscles the exercise works, and each month it gives you a little motivation to use those dumbells! (I need to go hit mine right now!)

off course this did not keep her from continuing to find other things to talk about, but it did provide her with some decent workouts.

This girl on the right has a better "V" than Sheryl Crow. LOL.

And DIAZ, told ya she doesn't look like a Pop Machine. (not yet)

crew2x.jpg

^^ squinting into the Vegas sun

My wife doesn't lift but we did buy a treadmill right around x-mas. Personally, I use it much more than she does but we both have noticed that she has toned up a lot by walking on it for a 1/2 hour a day.

Wao my friend. How do you do that? Is there a bike trail or something where you can ride safely? That has to be the coolest thing in the world.
Enjoy it and be safe.
Actually I went riding on the local streets. It's pretty rural here and if you wait until most folks have gotten home from work it's not bad. I usually try to do a loop so I don't see the same stuff twice. The one I do the most is head down to the next town, where there is a bridge to NH. Then I come back up the other side of the river until I get to the bridge connecting to my town in VT. It's a 14 mile loop.

I just got a road bike, which really lets you go much faster and further with much less effort. It's fun once you get in a groove and really start coasting.

This is the bridge back to VT I take.
299-132cwCornish-WindsorBridge.jpg

A bike trail here would be nice. Over the past few years near my parent's house in suburban NY, they have done a lot of rails to trails programs, and the town have interconnected them. It's about 40 miles end to end now. Sadly, that doesn't do me much good.

For people that ride bikes - this spandex riding outfit stuff. Is that something that is "required uniform" in other states, or just here in California?

I live very close to the ocean and the street in front of my house is a favorite riding spot. I've seen a lot of people dressed like Lance Armstrong but with bodies like mine. And believe me, that is not a pretty sight.

It's required wearing. It's expensive but makes a world of different. Lickily I've got the right body type to pull off the bike spandex. The lean, wiry kind of muscle mass you see on runners/cyclers. I'm not ripped by any means, I'm just saying that's my body type.

I prefer to wear the padded bike shorts, or as I call them "happy butt pants". It feels like you're walking around with a load in your shorts while walking, but does wonders for, well frankly your ass and genitals while biking.

I've got a couple bike jerseys, but they are expensive. Often I'll just wear a polyester moisture wicking t-shirt. They are great for keeping you dry.

My wife doesn't lift but we did buy a treadmill right around x-mas. Personally, I use it much more than she does but we both have noticed that she has toned up a lot by walking on it for a 1/2 hour a day.
I started lifting a little because I was having problems with my knee. I've been trying to train for a half marathon, but I couldn't run for about 5 weeks because my knee would hurt everytime. I finally went to a sports medicine doctor and she said it was because I was running against traffic on banked roads (damn engineers :smileyballs: ) and told me some stretches to do.

In the meantime though I was doing some squats and leg extensions because I thought maybe building up those muscles would help. I was amazed at how it helped tone my legs even just a couple times a week. That's why I want to start doing it regularly.

I was amazed at how it helped tone my legs even just a couple times a week.
This thread is worthless without pics! :smileyballs:
I finally went to a sports medicine doctor and she said it was because I was running against traffic on banked roads (damn engineers )
Sounds like a potshot against our transpo guys here! :210:

I'm with ya cement. LOL.

Why do celebs think they know anything? It's frustrating. It's called the Tom Cruise effect.

Just my two cents....

My wife bought us a Total Gym for my birthday last year, and we were working out on it together (until I moved to Sunny Florida last month). It is a great workout routine, and the cost for the equipment is not that bad.

They also offer a number of different exercises that you can do for all body parts. I actually created a 4 day workout routine for us that switches exercises weekly for a three period so that boredom doesn't set in.

Anyway, since I've been away from I purchased an elliptical machine for my apartment and been doing a 30 minute workout in the morning and another 30 minutes in the evening and it is a great cardio workout. I just had a physical yesterday (for my life insurance policy), and my heart rate was about 48...

I have a membership at a gym about 5 minutes from my house where I go to work out. I usually try to go in the mornings (5am is not easy to do). I try to mix in weights and cardio but I have a hard time getting motivated for cardio lately. My biggest problem is not the working out part, its the eating properly part. Every mile I run is cancelled out by my terrible terrible terrible diet.

Back