Exercise/Weight Loss

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just got home from a dinner function meeting the dinner was buffet style. Got to drive 70 miles home with an anvil in my gut. :BS:

Combine that with the fact that I took the day off from exercising because everything is sore (my legs cramped while driving) and I feel like a total slob. Back on the wagon tomorrow for me.

Hey Fraz - that TV dinner looks like it belongs in a museum. Is that one of the old fashioned non-biodegradable styroforam containers?

Question. Do they still make microwaves that don't have the spinny turntable thing??? I think the rotate once part is pretty obsolete.
We had an old microwave with a manual clock dial and no turntable thingy until we moved into our spiffy new office. It's heating output was somewhere between a fart and an EZ bake oven. Now we have this high-tech thing mounted on the wall in an actual break room.

I tried doing the iron-skillet move last night with a 5 lb weight in each hand. I couldn't get my arms much more than 45 degrees away from my sides. :BS: ...so sad.
I just noticed that they are 10 lb weights, not 5 lbs! I'm not a total wuss afterall!!
party0010.gif

Hey DV, what would you recommend to complement a workout that only consists of push-ups, crunches, and pull-ups? That's all I do, and I'd rather not go to a gym, but I do have some dumbells. All I want is Cheryl Crow arms, too. I get plenty of cardio through running and biking, but I'm far from as "lean" as I'd like to be.

Frazil, you're obvioulsy not a "wuss".

Dleg,

If you are doing all the activity that you say you are, then there is one thing keeping you from being lean, and that's diet.

Hate to break it to ya. LOL.

Honestly, push-ups, pull-ups, etc. with about 3-4 cardio sessions per week is enough to keep someone in great shape if their diet is in order.

What do you eat? and how much beer consumed?

Boxing for fitness is a great workout. I was even inspired by this thread to finally go home and get my heavy bag out and set it up (that was a 4 beer job). When I was good about working out (boxing 2-3 days a week, light weight work 2 times a week), my arms were pretty well defined and I was in great shape.

I just need to find my bag gloves and I will be set. Shadow boxing can be a good workout too if you don't want to spend the money on a bag and some other equipment.

-Ray

Ive completely stopped going to the gym in the mornings. For about 5 months now Ive been getting up at 5am to hit the gym before work. I just cant do it anymore. Ive had allergies and its clogging me up so Im not sleeping real well and getting up after tossing and turning all night isnt going to happen. Of course Im also not motivated enough to go after work. Somethings got to give.

Yeah DV, I know. My diet is definitely not that great. But I'm trying, and my beer consumption is way down, even with the post-PE spike that lasted two months or so. Plus, I haven't been as disciplined with the situps and such for the past few months. I do them in the morning, and I've gotten in the habit of sleeping in later and getting maybe one set of each in, instead of three like before. I just need to crack down. But that said, I still don't think it is giving me the Cheryl Crow shoulders I want. Definitely the pecs, biceps, triceps, and lats, but not the shoulders.

I just weighed myself this morning and found that I have lost 9 lbs over the last month :w00t: :w00t:

Primarily this has been achieved through dietary measures, but not even strict ones. Increased water consumption, increased fiber consumption, tossed chips and snacks, tried to limit my out-of-house excursions to once per week (difficult especially when travelling). Even at that I haven't followed that routine strictly except for the water and fiber consumption.

I would like to add serious cardio and weight training once I drop down some more - I am sure I will need it to help keep dropping. I can honestly say I would not have been trying to get into better shape without a little inspiration from this group - excellent thread !! :th_rockon:

For now, I can attest that a few select changes in your diet can do amazing things :)

JR

Way to go JR!!

I know how good it feels, I just finished 2 months of a self imposed 1500 calorie diet, and have lost 35lbs so far. But considering I was up about 305, I still have a ways to go to get back in the healthy range.

If you can keep it up with just minor changes, it will be easier to stay on it, and better for you in the long run. Keep it up.

John

Nice JR. Changing eating habits is way harder then starting a work out. If you've got the better eating habits down then working out should be a rather easy transition. Ive always been able to hit the gym like a mad man, but eating better is a tough task for me. I just enjoy eating out too much.

Thanks guys !!! :w00t:

John --

I need to lose a good 75 lbs, so I am in the same boat as you. I am not going to have so much travel this month, so I am hoping to :w00t: my weight loss up to 15 - 20 lbs for the month.

FW --

My wife cooks ALL SORTS of things - especially deserts. I keep telling her to knock it off, but she still does it. I love to eat good food too, so it has been especially difficult surrounded by temptation (or more like torment).

DV --

I saw that for KFC too. I get ill eating fried chicken, so I dropped that off my list of 'eatables' a long time ago. I will entertain a Chicken Marsala every now and then, but the chicken cannot be breaded and fried. I may cook it in a broth an then brown it but it WILL NOT have any of that deep-frying action.

JR

Did a 22 mile loop around the Connecticut River after work today, I got my exercise in like a good boy.

I really don't enjoy eating out on a regular basis, and I love to cook, so I got that going for me. We definitely shoot for a healthy yet hearty diet. I don't want to ruin the hour and a half I spent exercising by eating something real fatty. Plus I really just don't like fast food. Makes me feel crappy. If you eat garbage, it stands to reason you will feel like it too.

As for working out regularly, I'm generally pretty motivated. Fortunately for me my fiance is a fitness/nutrition nut. She doesn't nag me about it, but after waching her train for a triatholon, it makes me feel like a real turd if I don't at least go for a walk.

You may have, but probably one lb. of muscle and two pounds of water, but staying hydrated is very important to gain mass, and I'm sure staying hydrated is important being in the freakin desert

This is week three of the healthy foods and week one of working out... My target is to drop about 20-25 pounds. I worked out last night for the first time in a while (plan is do some weights and some boxing) - I know I am out of shape, but not as bad as I thought I was. Needless to say, I am a bit sore today so tonight I'll try my old boxing work out at about 75% and see how well the aching body holds up.

Honestly, I never thought I could get into eating salads every day for lunch, but it has grown on me and I am starting to enjoy it. While I have held steady with my weight lately, I am feeling a little more energy and better.

I have also decided that I can't let the stress of the job build up in me and my supervisor has noticed I am more reactionary lately. I am also feeling less stressed if I just get it out of my system (I don't yell at clients, just our own people - and I don't hold back when I talk to my boss).

-Ray

Back