Erection day

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's going to be an interesting couple of years. My fear is that a democrat controlled congress coupled with a democrat controlled white house is going to result in spending that will make the last 8 years look like child's play.

But maybe we'll see improvements in our international relations and security. I think this is being viewed as a major feather in America's cap. I have had several foreign friends (Japanese, Korean, Filippino, Chinese) already tell me how excited they are and how impressed they are with the American people, as if we have finally lived up to the image they had of us as a free society.

That can't be bad.

I wouldn't say that. Although we've still got a long way to go, improved relations and increased security would mean we don't have to spend as much on defense. I'm sure you realize that we're spending a lot of the defense budget in places other than Iraq and Afghanistan. (the five big ships off our coast come to mind)

Took me 30 minutes to vote yesterday. I had problems since becuase I was not registered at the county I live now. They called the County I was registered for the last election, that took about 20 minutes because a bsy signal), they confirmed I was a registered voter and transfered my number to my new County. They gave me the instructions, the ballot and... vote is secret.

I'm not even gonna try to figure this one out.
Misleading ballot
VT, what was that about. IT nazis blocked the site.

I agree completely--Great speech. Its a shame that he wasn't "that" McCain during his campaign.
I stayed up to watch that but went to bed before the victory speech. What a classy speech. I enjoyed listening to it and liked how he is trying to unify the people. I wish more of this side came out during the campaign.

It was really interesting watching the coverage on CNN. The holograms were awesome, straight out of Star Trek. The coverage was kinda like a cross between watching the scenarios play out during the final week of the NFL season (Team X can make it in, if Team A loses, Team B Wins, and Team C loses by more than 10) and the selection show of the NCAA Tournament where the brackets fill in.

Everything pretty much fell down the party lines but when Ohio and Penn went blue you had to figure it was over. By 10:30 I was just waiting for the 11 PM polls to close so they could officially project the the west coast states and call the race.

I loved the worldwide celebrations they showed. It's a positive sign. Our image has taken a hit abroad and I hope we are able to repair that and imrpove relations with our foreign allies. I hope this can somehow help us to unite a little more.

Another question I had: Does anyone know how the networks based their criteria when officially announcing a projection? They were all dead on.

It's easy to say Mass is going blue or Alabama going red immediately, there were double digit leads going into it. But how can they know pretty certainly that a fairly contested state is over 10 minutes after the polls close.

My random thought for the night: What if you the two candidates from say, 1808 and beamed them into your living room to watch the coverage. Can you imagine what they would be thinking?

I was VERY surprised to see Ohio and PA go blue, especially PA. Guess all of the coal miners forgot to vote.

Another question I had: Does anyone know how the networks based their criteria when officially announcing a projection? They were all dead on.
It's easy to say Mass is going blue or Alabama going red immediately, there were double digit leads going into it. But how can they know pretty certainly that a fairly contested state is over 10 minutes after the polls close.

My random thought for the night: What if you the two candidates from say, 1808 and beamed them into your living room to watch the coverage. Can you imagine what they would be thinking?

It is all based on statistical analysis of the exit polls and the precinct results (beyond that, I don't know). NBC said they won't call a winner until the odds of them being wrong is less than 1 in 200.

It's going to be an interesting couple of years. My fear is that a democrat controlled congress coupled with a democrat controlled white house is going to result in spending that will make the last 8 years look like child's play.
That's what I've been thinking, but I'm trying to be positive and hope that it won't.

I was VERY surprised to see Ohio and PA go blue, especially PA. Guess all of the coal miners forgot to vote.
The UMWA was actually backing OBAMA. Even after the 'we'll bankrupt them' if they try to create coal power plants comment. He said 'oh, I didn't mean it', and they said OK. idiots.

The UMWA was actually backing OBAMA. Even after the 'we'll bankrupt them' if they try to create coal power plants comment. He said 'oh, I didn't mean it', and they said OK. idiots.

Card Check trumps all in the eyes of the union leadership. That is one of the pieces of legislation waiting in the wings that will cost a lot of jobs.

I loved McCain's concession speech - that was the McCain that I thought I knew.
I was disappointed by the booing, too. I hope that stuff stops.
I thought it was a wonderful speech and even the most die-hard liberals who I know IRL were moved by McCain's concession. Politics aside, that man has literally bled for our country and he has served the nation in some capacity for 50+ years.

I was very disheartened by the booing. It's not the appropriate thing to do when McCain was being so gracious and was trying to bring people together.

They'd probably think "What the hell is up with all the states?" They only had 17 at the time.

Yesterday was the first time i got vote behind a curtain...always thought that was just a thing in the movies. Any time i've voted in the past it's been the podium with three plastic sides that folds into itself for easier storage.

We still have yet to hear from the man of yester-eve erection day. . . .JR -

where u at, mang?

All I can say is that I am glad that riot control did not need to be employed...

Congrats to President-elect Obama, I sure hope you can live up to the promises that you have made.

All I can say is that I am glad that riot control did not need to be employed...
Congrats to President-elect Obama, I sure hope you can live up to the promises that you have made.
LMAO. Yeah, Hope and Change.

Well, there no longer need to hope because obviously it is change. (Bush couldn't serve at 3rd term), so I guess Obama is going to bat 1000 on his promises.

Note how he never specified whether it would be change for the better! :poop:

Back