April 2021 Post Exam Wait Period - Welcome to the Suck

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Same. I got mine around 10 or 10:30 and sat in my office until I could compose myself. i then just walked out and texted my boss when I got home telling him I had failed and I needed to take a breather. He was totally cool with it. I would much rather find at the end of the day.
I've said it'd be nice if they'd give us a one-week warning so we could plan accordingly with our bosses. Ya, the suspense would suck, but at least you could plan to take the day off beforehand.

I've said it'd be nice if they'd give us a one-week warning so we could plan accordingly with our bosses. Ya, the suspense would suck, but at least you could plan to take the day off beforehand.
Exactly the same thing i was discussing, At-least at 50% work and 75% work over, they can set a revised expected date, instead of just saying 8-10 weeks statement.

Guys, I'm so stressed I'm ready to make a career change. If anyone knows of any other careers that are super easy and I only have to work 32 hours a week (ok I'll even do 40 hours if there's no stress) and I don't have to go back to school but can make at least $65k/year (in the midwest) plus benefits please let me know k thanks.

Guys, I'm so stressed I'm ready to make a career change. If anyone knows of any other careers that are super easy and I only have to work 32 hours a week (ok I'll even do 40 hours if there's no stress) and I don't have to go back to school but can make at least $65k/year (in the midwest) plus benefits please let me know k thanks.
Truck driving school. I looked into this after I took my first timed practice exam. And I'm not bashing truck driving school or truck drivers at all. It's just the first thing that came to mind at the time. And yeah, you're going to work more than 32 hours I'm guessing...and no, you won't make $65K and I don't know if you even get benefits. Ok it was a bad example.

I heard surgical tech school takes a year and it starts out paying well.

Don't know what field you're in, but sounds like you just need a less stressful engineering job. Get one with a huge corporation that produces an inconsequential product.

Don't know what field you're in, but sounds like you just need a less stressful engineering job. Get one with a huge corporation that produces an inconsequential product.
I'm in structural....are you saying not all engineering jobs are stressful?! I just assume most are haha

My current job isn't stressful ... although I still manage to stress myself out sometimes.
Previous jobs had varying levels of stress.

I'm in structural....are you saying not all engineering jobs are stressful?! I just assume most are haha
I'm in structural also. Somehow I lucked out and found an awesome company. Very small, but not stressful at all (yet). I guess that could change the more responsibilities they give me, but I have been here for 2.5 years and can count on one hand the number of times I've had to stay late to finish a job.

I remember going through the interview process with this company and 3 others at the time before I moved and one company said a typical work week is 50 hrs....I straight up declined and told them I don't want to work that much, i have a life and he told me that all companies are working at least 50 hrs/week and if they tell you otherwise they're lying....Took another companies offer and I feel like I hit the jackpot. Not stressful, they're so laid back, family oriented.

Truck driving school. I looked into this after I took my first timed practice exam. And I'm not bashing truck driving school or truck drivers at all. It's just the first thing that came to mind at the time. And yeah, you're going to work more than 32 hours I'm guessing...and no, you won't make $65K and I don't know if you even get benefits. Ok it was a bad example.

I heard surgical tech school takes a year and it starts out paying well.
I just remember a clip from The Soup years back about truck driving school and how the drivers get only 2 weeks of training. "So the next time you see a truck driver barreling down the highway at 80 mph, just remember they had only two weeks of training."

My grandpa drove trucks and it sounded like long, exhausting work.

I'm in structural also. Somehow I lucked out and found an awesome company. Very small, but not stressful at all (yet). I guess that could change the more responsibilities they give me, but I have been here for 2.5 years and can count on one hand the number of times I've had to stay late to finish a job.

I remember going through the interview process with this company and 3 others at the time before I moved and one company said a typical work week is 50 hrs....I straight up declined and told them I don't want to work that much, i have a life and he told me that all companies are working at least 50 hrs/week and if they tell you otherwise they're lying....Took another companies offer and I feel like I hit the jackpot. Not stressful, they're so laid back, family oriented.
I'm glad you declined! Eff that. Life is too short. I get a lot of validation from my work and it's important to me, but my off-time and my family is equally as important.

Back