2019 Novel Coronavirus

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The common cold didn't kill as many people in the past six months like coronavirus has. I couldn't even make it past the headline. Next.
And do we really know that?  I'm thinking of the folks who die from pneumonia which started from a common cold.  It happens so commonly that I assume it is not listed as the cause of death on the death certificate.

(clarifications: I didn't read the article.  I make no claims to be an expert, I just like the logic.)

And do we really know that?  I'm thinking of the folks who die from pneumonia which started from a common cold.  It happens so commonly that I assume it is not listed as the cause of death on the death certificate.

(clarifications: I didn't read the article.  I make no claims to be an expert, I just like the logic.)
Like anything, the case counts are estimates, but if you research cold/flu deaths vs. COVID, COVID clearly has killed more people.  

Is it legal to give a 12 year old girl whiskey get her shitfaced, as long as it is in your own home? And if that's illegal, isn't that discriminatory against people under the age of 21? Or females?

Sometimes society has to pull together to control situations that are deemed inappropriate or, in this case, dangerous for everyone else until a vaccine is available or the disease stops spreading. It confuses me why so many people have gotten themselves wrapped around the axle on this, and seemingly forgotten the myriad of everyday things that have been controlled by local and state governments, even since before the Revolutionary War. Which, by the way, was not fought in the name of anarchy.
totally off the mark comparison - but ok boomer..

Like anything, the case counts are estimates, but if you research cold/flu deaths vs. COVID, COVID clearly has killed more people.  
I think it's been pretty widely established by now that flu deaths have regularly been under-reported over the years and that COVID deaths have been grossly over-reported.

I think it's been pretty widely established by now that flu deaths have regularly been under-reported over the years ...
This is true.

... and that COVID deaths have been grossly over-reported.
This is complete speculation. We won't know this answer for a couple years. Don't trust anyone who pretends to know right now.

This is complete speculation. We won't know this answer for a couple years. Don't trust anyone who pretends to know right now.
When I am getting first hand accounts from people who work in hospitals are reporting cause of death after dying in a car accident or from a massive heart attack, it's not speculation. When there is monetary incentive for hospitals to report deaths as COVID related, the numbers being reported are completely useless.

When I am getting first hand accounts from people who work in hospitals are reporting cause of death after dying in a car accident or from a massive heart attack, it's not speculation. When there is monetary incentive for hospitals to report deaths as COVID related, the numbers being reported are completely useless.
Anecdotal information, even if factual, is not data.

I dont think that hopsitals make the #'s up for profit, but my wife has said if they have anyone who dies and it seems slightly "strange" (i.e not 100% known why they died) then they will have them tested for the rona before giving the body over to the coroner / family.

I think they use the data for their own self serving purposes so they can say, yeah we had 900 people die in our hospital this past year, but 400 of them had covid - I do believe that type of data recording happens at some internal level, which isnt politicaly motivated, but keeps their own internal insurance, joint commission, ratings, etc, where they want them. 

Was it just bars closed before?

I admit, living here in Denver where people are more likely to chase you down if you are on your bicylce and NOT wearing a mask, its a little weird when I see friends of mine from Atlanta down on "Fall Break" at PCB out to eat and not a mask in sight..

My older son is at  a relatively small school (3000 students) they had a big spike the first week and then it has really dropped since then, I have been watching the numbers - one would think that this same graph would apply at most colleges, big increase in the beginning, then a drop?  He said kids wear masks where they are supposed to (chow hall, student  center, libraries and classroooms), but no where else

Untitled.png

There were restrictions at restaurants to only operate at <50%, but now local authorities cannot limit restaurants to <50% and have to have justification to limit <100%. Local authorities can no longer fine people for not wearing masks.

Ok doubters, here is real data on total deaths in the US, by all causes. Look at this graph, explore the data on this site, If it's not COVID, tell me is it the common cold that has killed all these extra people this year? Car accidents? (and if so, why do I keep getting rebates from my insurance company supposedly due to fewer accidents this year?). A sudden surge in heart attacks caused by internet stress? Curious what your explanations might be.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/excess_deaths.htm

20200929 WeeklyExcessDeaths.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Back