2019 Novel Coronavirus

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A City even - (like the lowest form of Government available) IMO a City is like one notch above a HOA....

I mean I get it, but this just doesnt sounds very enforceable to say a certain age group of people cant do something that other people can?  

Just leave all their asses together on campus for a few weeks and they should push through it  - All those God Damned Bible Thumpers in Boulder not listening to science!

Last edited by a moderator:
That is interesting, but I have two thoughts:

1. Africa shouldn't be congratulating themselves yet. This isn't over (look at India - they were slow to take off but now their numbers are crazy).

2. The age structure / demographics in Africa may explain most of the difference in death toll. Regardless of political correctness, Africa still remains a place where people just don't live that long. See the population pyramid:

View attachment 18865

Compare this to the US: 

There are simply more old people in the US than there are in Africa. From that alone, we should expect a higher death rate in the US compared to Africa. The so-far lower death rates in India may also be attributed to this, to a great extent:

Is it odd that the US Pyramid is shaped like the averager person in the US? :D

Is there one of these for China?  I had heard the men significantly outnumber the ladies there?

A City even - (like the lowest form of Government available) IMO a City is like one notch above a HOA....

I mean I get it, but this just doesnt sounds very enforceable to say a certain age group of people cant do something that other people can?  

Just leave all their asses together on campus for a few weeks and they should push through it  - All those God Damned Bible Thumpers in Boulder not listening to science!
When I think of bible thumping towns, Boulder doesnt exactly come to mind

So if we put restrictions on a specific age range of adults, how is that different from restricting different races or genders from gathering?

this is telling folks they can’t get together in their own home..

but I don’t need a license, insurance, emissions, or seat belts if I drive my car on my own property- only need that stuff on someone else’s land.

Its funny this is how people in the peoples republic of boulder choose to live.

i think they would have banned fire in the caveman days.

Is it legal to give a 12 year old girl whiskey get her shitfaced, as long as it is in your own home? And if that's illegal, isn't that discriminatory against people under the age of 21? Or females?

Sometimes society has to pull together to control situations that are deemed inappropriate or, in this case, dangerous for everyone else until a vaccine is available or the disease stops spreading. It confuses me why so many people have gotten themselves wrapped around the axle on this, and seemingly forgotten the myriad of everyday things that have been controlled by local and state governments, even since before the Revolutionary War. Which, by the way, was not fought in the name of anarchy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, the author states

COVID-19 is more dangerous overall than a common rhinovirus
I like reading about covid from different perspectives. I don't think it benefits me to only read stuff I agree with.

Back