2019 Novel Coronavirus

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tenor.gif

One of the devious things about this virus, is that man people look at the fatality rate and age distribution and assume that they'll be fine. What isn't being reported well is that a significant portion of population (10-20%), regardless of age, are incurring serious permanent damage to their lungs.
Unless you can provide some kind of credible evidence otherwise, I’m calling this BS. The info I’m seeing say that 17-29% (depending on which study you want to use) of the people with severe illness developed lung damage. Only 6% develop the severe illness. So, only 6% will develop serious issues and of that 6%, 17% will have lasting (not permanent) lung damage that could take months or years to heal. 

No clue what this means, but keep this in mind when people try and give you advice....

4082aa47b45168e466ad33d2e4c32d8d.jpg
I know this has something to with with respiratory health and that the regular ratio of PaO2/FiO2 should be like 500?  Which means <100 is ulllltra bad.  Other then that... 🤷‍♀️

The wife had 2 Covid patients yesterday - One was very old who already had lung cancer, the other was only 53 with no real previous "bad" medical history - as someone who thinks I am healthy at 46,  53 doesn't seem that old as it used to be - but who knows how truthful people are about previous medial history.

I am trying to get my parents to take this seriously, it sounds like this is a very slow and miserable death, if you have to go to ICU and and eventually get incubated you are looking at a less than 40% survival rate-  If you have elderly relatives who think this is not a big deal tell them if they catch this they will most likely spend there last few days prontated (sp?) on a ventilator and there are no visitors allowed in. You will die alone.  

Once you get to the hospital and test positive they wont let you leave either - at risk of spreading the infection.

So you acknowledge that lasting lung damage associated with this virus is real?
In a minuscule portion of the population who have pre-existing medical issues? Sure, whatever.  Just like the flu does and has been doing for eons. People passing around misinformation are the reason morons are out buying toilet paper by the pallet. 

Back