Where to get your PE stamp?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rule 137.31 (d) "All seals obtained and used by license holders shall contain any given name, commonly accepted variation of the given name, or initial combination with the surname as currently listed with the board and in the usual written signature. Nicknames shall not be permitted on a seal in lieu of a given name or initial combination. The name can be displayed on the seal using all uppercase letters such as "LESLIE H. DOE" or using the standard combination of upper and lowercase letters, such as "Leslie H. Doe"."

Rule 137.31 (b) "Physical and electronic seals shall be of the design illustrated in this section and shall be no larger than two inches. Regardless of seal size the engineer's name and number must be clearly legible."

I purchased the 1 5/8" from at @PE Stamps.
Okay, I read that rule, but still wasn't sure.  So.... middle initial required?

Also, @PE Stamps website isn't working.

(need stamp for Texas)

I would say it's not required according to 137.31(d); I choose to include it.

Your name should be as it reads on your certificate or other such documentation from board.  Contacting your board if you want it changed.  We see people with just initial and with full names though. 

Okay, I read that rule, but still wasn't sure.  So.... middle initial required?

Also, @PE Stamps website isn't working.

(need stamp for Texas)
My stamps (PE and PG) just have my middle initial even though my full name is listed on my licenses in Texas.  No problems getting them accepted.

My stamps (PE and PG) just have my middle initial even though my full name is listed on my licenses in Texas.  No problems getting them accepted.
Okay... But I don't want to include my middle initial.... When I got an email from the Texas board, it said "Dear Susan Lastname, Texas PE#####,"  so can that be a sign I don't need my middle initial? 

Okay... But I don't want to include my middle initial.... When I got an email from the Texas board, it said "Dear Susan Lastname, Texas PE#####,"  so can that be a sign I don't need my middle initial? 
"...commonly accepted variation of the given name..." - according to this, you can use your first and last name. My name on file doesn't have my middle initial (guess I forgot to put it on the application) and they accepted my stamp with my middle initial.

It appears that you don't have to.  But if your Lastname is as common as your first name, you might consider it.  If the combination is rare, then it would be easily distinguished from others.  As a suggestion, you might look at the listing for PE's in your state to determine if there will be issues in differentiating your name from another's name.

They may dry out over a long period of time.  They are pretty self-contained to prevent that though.  All you would need to do though is add a few drops of refill ink to get it going again.  We have not seen these dry out though.

They may dry out over a long period of time.  They are pretty self-contained to prevent that though.  All you would need to do though is add a few drops of refill ink to get it going again.  We have not seen these dry out though.
I don't have one of your self-inking stamps, but the first one that I did buy (from a local print shop) fell on its side within my drawer and stayed that way for a long time (months?), and after that it never worked again and I had to get a replacement.  So I recommend trying to keep any self-inking stamp upright when stored.

Now that I'm getting licensed in an actual State instead of a territory, I will probably be buying from from you. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Eh....ink is a thing of the past anyway.  It's all digital/CAD based these days.  Especially for large drawing sets. :thumbs:

I don't have one of your self-inking stamps, but the first one that I did buy (from a local print shop) fell on its side within my drawer and stayed that way for a long time (months?), and after that it never worked again and I had to get a replacement.  So I recommend trying to keep any self-inking stamp upright when stored.

Now that I'm getting licensed in an actual State instead of a territory, I will probably be buying from from you. 
Good to know... I just checked by drawer and mine was on its side... fixed.

Good to know... I just checked by drawer and mine was on its side... fixed.
Ha, same here.  It's probably been that way for around four years though and it still works great.

Nope.  I stamped random papers when I first got it, you know, to test it out.  Since then I've only stamped two other sets.
Yeah... I did that after I turned it right side up... just to make sure.

Trust me, you're not going to want to stamp a 120-pg design plan.  You'll appreciate your digital seal much more. :thumbs:  

Trust me, you're not going to want to stamp a 120-pg design plan.  You'll appreciate your digital seal much more. :thumbs:  
That's what the interns are for  :)

Actually, the first firm I worked for, the chief engineers even had their assistants sign the plans for them.

That's what the interns are for  :)

Actually, the first firm I worked for, the chief engineers even had their assistants sign the plans for them.
I'm too OCD to trust anyone else (especially an intern) to do that kind of work.  Drafters/designers can apply the seal in the same spot and integrate it into the title block for a much cleaner and sleek looking design package.

Having someone else other than the seal-owner sign also seems ethically questionable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back