uhh

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^ I'd eventually like this picture to include some form of your old company's logo and a finger of your choosing. My engineering recommendation is the middle.

so I keep getting emails from recruiters for structural jobs. clearly they didnt study with me for the PE. do they not explain to these people the difference between disciplines? i just delete them but come on. i understand my friends not getting it, but i feel that these people should have a little bit better clue.

so I keep getting emails from recruiters for structural jobs. clearly they didnt study with me for the PE. do they not explain to these people the difference between disciplines? i just delete them but come on. i understand my friends not getting it, but i feel that these people should have a little bit better clue.
Recruiters, for the most part, are idiots.

I had one call me about 2 weeks ago asking me if I was interested in a structural firm that did bridges.

I asked him how he got my number and he said that he just called the front desk and asked for the bridge department. And then I informed him that my company has never done any bridges before, ever!

So he tries to play it cool by saying that he must have been thinking about one of the other companies in town that are owned by the same parent company that owes my current company. And I shot him down both times.

Well I must have been thinking about company B "No, they strictly do environmental research"

Well I must have been thinking about company C "No, they are stictly oil and gas like us"

All in all, I must say that he does a fantastic job of looking like an idiot.

Most recruiters are indiots .. unless they are corporate-specific recruiters and then they at least seem to have some idea of how things work.

FWIW - I have been able to probe around myself and get a MUCH better idea of job availability, pay ranges, stability, etc. on my own rather than going through a recruiter. At least locally - I wouldn't have an idea if were to move from Florida.

JR

^I have to say that one did a bang up job of reformatting my resume. I told him he could probably do it professionally. I think he does now.

Most recruiters are indiots .. unless they are corporate-specific recruiters and then they at least seem to have some idea of how things work.
FWIW - I have been able to probe around myself and get a MUCH better idea of job availability, pay ranges, stability, etc. on my own rather than going through a recruiter. At least locally - I wouldn't have an idea if were to move from Florida.

JR

I agree. I used the recruiter when I moved out of state because I didn't have a clue where to look. This time, I'm trying to avoid them. I refused to put my phone number on my resume so they don't call me 24/7. Plus I feel bad making some company pay that much to get me, although I have heard of several that only hire through recruiters. Guess I won't work for them!

An idea for your job search, I got my last two jobs by getting the department head's email address and simply emailing him my resume and cover letter.

You can ask your friends and/or contacts (assuming you have friends) for the information. And you don't have to drop their name if they are not comfortable with that. But I find going directly to the appropriate manager rather than using HR gets results. I don't have much confidence in HR, half the time they don't know what they are looking for and they take their time, meanwhile the hiring manager is getting desperate to hire someone and you're sitting there wondering if anyone is going to call you.

Nothing like getting a call from HR 6 months down the road "Are you still looking for a job?"... "Yeah, I've been sitting here on welfare waiting for you to call me. Thanks!"

Retards....

Recruiters call me daily... everything from wind farms to jobs I would take if they were closer. I like f'ing with the newbies that call and think they are real slick. The ones I have dealt with over the last few years are straight up and actually decent to talk too... you can get a feel for how your competitors are doing or how the market is in other areas of the country.

Nothing like getting a call from HR 6 months down the road "Are you still looking for a job?"... "Yeah, I've been sitting here on welfare waiting for you to call me. Thanks!"
Agreed. The manager knows what they need and will have a better feel for whether your skills meet their needs. Let HR worry about scheduling of interviews and paperwork.

Also, it you talk to or meet with a manager, you may leave a good impression with him. They may not have anything now, but may remember you down the road when an opening comes up. Never underestimate networking.

The newbies call with 'I have a great opportunity with a major CM located in Bergen County'... I guess what company it is until I break them and they offer it up if I haven't figured it out yet.

Back