uhh

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You're much better off not burning bridges on your way out the door.
I'm with MIG. Always take the high road.

We had a friend a while back who told us, "I got fired, but at least I have my dignity."

Dignity is great and all, but it doesn't put food on the table.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't get it. Why would you even let on that this is going to happen? Now I know, so I have had two days to run numbers and see how much I think they'll pay me to "resign" instead of being "fired". Sitting there tomorrow morning, I'd just be stunned and not even think about it. (Still deciding on which way to go with that one- any suggestions? Firing means unemployment which they hate to pay, but if they make me resign, they better pay up for it. Any other benefits to resigning? No one in any interview has ever asked me why I left the last place straight up so does it matter?)

I don't need to burn bridges- this is the same guy that keeps losing contracts based on his personality. He's infamous. I'm doing myself a favor by getting away. No one else there really pissed me off. I even ASKED to be reassigned to someone else because he was such a jerk. I was told he's in charge, he gets to pick.

I am consoled in the fact that they found me through a recruiter, that happens to be a good friend of "jerkoff", so this should bode well for that relationship. They paid a lot for me, and now it's all going byebye.

I don't get it. Why would you even let on that this is going to happen? Now I know, so I have had two days to run numbers and see how much I think they'll pay me to "resign" instead of being "fired". Sitting there tomorrow morning, I'd just be stunned and not even think about it. (Still deciding on which way to go with that one- any suggestions? Firing means unemployment which they hate to pay, but if they make me resign, they better pay up for it. Any other benefits to resigning? No one in any interview has ever asked me why I left the last place straight up so does it matter?)
I don't need to burn bridges- this is the same guy that keeps losing contracts based on his personality. He's infamous. I'm doing myself a favor by getting away. No one else there really pissed me off. I even ASKED to be reassigned to someone else because he was such a jerk. I was told he's in charge, he gets to pick.

I am consoled in the fact that they found me through a recruiter, that happens to be a good friend of "jerkoff", so this should bode well for that relationship. They paid a lot for me, and now it's all going byebye.
I have survived many cuts, and seen many cuts through 12 years at Worldcom/MCI/ now Verizon. Many that left, wound up working for others they despised after the cuts. Some fields are just a small world. In fact, Verizon just bought Alltell, which means many that left Tulsa a few years ago may wind up working for the same management chain they thought they were getting away from.

My second job out of school, I was only their 6 weeks, and left at the first chance due to the work conditions. I burned a bridge, but did okay getting away.

Goodness. Are you sure you don't work for "Orlando's Finest and most Prestigious Civil Engineering and Land Development Firm"?

Again, good luck.

I just bought a house- I can't move :-(

But I DID water resources, although I am seriously considering a career change since I obviously am not mentally equipped to do this stuff. I told my mom today that the bagel and coffee places down the street sound pretty damn good. But they don't care about my newly minted PE there. :-(

Shit Squishles, just catching this news. Sorry to hear all that's going on. Sounds like it may end up being a good thing in the long run, but we're all here to cheer you on for finding something better with less assholes to work for! Good Luck.

I just saw this, too. Sorry Squish and good luck with everything this morning. I've been "removed" several times. I survived every one. You will, too. Be as professional and elegent as you can. These things happen for a reason.

I know of a couple consultants that are hiring here in NJ (actually right across the street from my office).... $2 pints???

Seriously though - best of luck in you new job search, your PE will certainly help.

The moral of the story is: if your building key doesn't work, your email doesnt work, your computer has been locked down, and there are empty boxes on your desk over the weekend, use up your benefits asap. Turns out I was right and am back home already. It was fairly amusing but I'm just happy to have it over with.

jerkoff EX boss---> :-*( | ) <--- my butt

Editted to clarify that I know longer work for the prick.

sorry to hear of all this on the eve of your celebratory passing of the PE & all. Makes me think its no coincidence this event so closefully follows that event. this may have been in the making for some time, and not so random. Good luck, sounds like its def. for the better, i'm sure your in a much better job market than I am - things will work out B)

[edit] damn that was quick! unreal. . . .

The moral of the story is: if your building key doesn't work, your email doesnt work, your computer has been locked down, and there are empty boxes on your desk over the weekend, use up your benefits asap. Turns out I was right and am back home already. It was fairly amusing but I'm just happy to have it over with.
jerkoff EX boss---> :-*( | ) <--- my butt

Editted to clarify that I know longer work for the prick.
Squishles,

Keep smiling - it sounds like life is going to get better real soon. Care to share the "rest of the story"?

I just got caught up. Jeez, what a screwed up organization. I thought the place where I got laid off handled it tacky, but squishles story just trumped mine big time.

so which was it... a forced resignation or an outright whacking?

Tough break, but if you were unhappy, you can do better. In the long run this will probably be for the best.

THat's jacked up bro.

If it's any help, the company I work for has it's head offices in Dallas. Pretty good company always looking for PE's (even recent ones). I'm happy with the company. If you're interested, shoot me a PM and I'll tell you a bit more.

It's always better for your health to get away from bad situations. Congrats on taking the next step!!

Back