The Pet Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve read that husky coats do change with seasons /shedding. But I read it fades from birth to fully grown in first year. (Shrugs) I’m wondering if now that she’s worm free and healthy her coat is improving and she’s showing what she will look like. She was very light gray and white. Now daily we are seeing black creep into her coat. I hope she can catch up on weight, but if she stays a runt because of the worms we will definitely be sure to keep an eyes out for any health issues. The emergency vet we brought her to right away wasn't sure she’d make it, not that it was said outright, but just the words spoken to us over the phone indicated such.

Do you have to trim her pretty short in the summer? (or for 10 months of the year)?  

Do you have to trim her pretty short in the summer? (or for 10 months of the year)?  
I’m guessing once she gets a full coat we will. If she gets a full coat being we hardly ever see freezing or below temps here. The color change could be her shedding her puppy fluff and getting her actual coat.

I’m tempted to shave our GSD. One, I know he’s hot, two he sheds like crazy. I vacuum once or twice a week and fill up the tank three times with hair each time.

Its always funny every snow here people bring their huskys out to play in the snow and its very entertaining to watch, the level of husky excitement is almost like your average Caucasian chic when its pumpkin spice season!

We are getting my daughter her first pet for her 6th birthday. 

I chickened out from adopting two guinea pigs. I've had dogs and cats as pets.  The guinea pigs take more work than both combined. 

So we're back to getting a betta fish with a really cool tank lol

A hamster is way less work (than the guinea pigs) and generally wont live much longer than a year ;)

visiting others with pets is the way to go.  You get to enjoy them then let someone else do the dirty work.  

With a very heavy heart, I post the passing of Abby (racing name I Want Candy), my father's greyhound whom we fostered about five years ago.  She was an amazing, beautiful dog, and he made the decision to let her go to the rainbow bridge at 9 1/2 years of age after a sudden break in her front leg revealed osteosarcoma. 

Needless to say, I've been crying all weekend (and as I type this), and the entire family is devastated.  We're especially worried for my father who spent every waking second of his retirement caring for this dog - she was the reason he got up in the morning, and without her in his life, we don't know what will happen to him.  He has already decided that he'd like another greyhound in his life, which is difficult with the tracks being shut down in FL and COVID issues, but I am trying my hardest to use contacts and friends within the racing and adoption industry to find him a suitable dog, even if I have to travel half way across the country to get it.  

Just to show just how much my parents cared for Abby, they literally had their brand new furniture cut down and the cushions altered, just so the back of the sofa wouldn't obstruct her view from her favorite window.  She was religiously given two walks a day, and when my father blew his knee out taking her for a walk, the neighbors loved her so much that they took turns walking her when he couldn't.  

Abby passed away peacefully on a blanket in the grass, with the last beam of light before sundown shining on her face, surrounded by my father, my sister, and my brother in law.  Run free, Abby, I hope I get to give you belly rubs again some day. 

IMG_1490.JPG

IMG_1491.JPG

So sorry Supe! It's so incredibly difficult to lose a beloved pet. I know that we are closer to the end with our beagle, so we are enjoying him as much as we can right now. He's been an amazing dog and it's going to be heartbreaking to see him go. Give your pups a few extra hugs today!

It makes me so sad that my girls are over 10 now.  My heart is going to explode when something happens to one of them.

Oh no!  I'm so sorry, @Supe!  Please give my well-wishes to your dad.  It always hurts to say goodbye to a pet, but I feel like your dad is going to take is especially hard since she was a huge reason he kept going.  I wish you the best in finding another greyhound to fill another part of his heart!

It seems that the time is getting close for our beagle. The mass that we had removed back in July was cancerous and it has come back and has more than quadrupled in size in the past month. There's now necrosis on the top of it and it is starting to hurt him. It's harder for him to eat and you can tell that it has really started to bother him. Not to mention he smells like death due to the necrosis. We can handle the smell and the goopy drool that he's having all the time now, but I can't stand to see him in pain and hurting when he eats. We just started some new medicine so we're going to give it some time to see if it does anything, but I'm afraid we don't have much time left. I was hoping that he was going to make it to his 16th birthday in November, but it doesn't seem like he's going to. I told Mrs. Ble yesterday that if you would have told me when I got him that he would live to be almost 16 I would have been thrilled but now that the time is here I just want more time. Losing him is going to be devastating to us (Mrs Ble especially). When we lost our last dog one of the things that got us through it was having Porto here to love on but when he goes there will be no pets in the house to comfort us. I'm still not sure how we're going to handle it.

I'm sorry to hear that. I hope the medicine helps make the remainder of his time still enjoyable.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm so sorry, Ble.  I know I don't have to tell you how hard it was losing our Annie.  I still cry every day over it.  All I can say is spend as much time with him as you can, and spoil him to the best of your ability.  I never really understood the "better a day too soon than a day too late" until we were in that position and were looking at having to watch her suffer, if not for our vet who went above and beyond and helped us after hours. 

It seems that the time is getting close for our beagle. The mass that we had removed back in July was cancerous and it has come back and has more than quadrupled in size in the past month. There's now necrosis on the top of it and it is starting to hurt him. It's harder for him to eat and you can tell that it has really started to bother him. Not to mention he smells like death due to the necrosis. We can handle the smell and the goopy drool that he's having all the time now, but I can't stand to see him in pain and hurting when he eats. We just started some new medicine so we're going to give it some time to see if it does anything, but I'm afraid we don't have much time left. I was hoping that he was going to make it to his 16th birthday in November, but it doesn't seem like he's going to. I told Mrs. Ble yesterday that if you would have told me when I got him that he would live to be almost 16 I would have been thrilled but now that the time is here I just want more time. Losing him is going to be devastating to us (Mrs Ble especially). When we lost our last dog one of the things that got us through it was having Porto here to love on but when he goes there will be no pets in the house to comfort us. I'm still not sure how we're going to handle it.
I am so sorry :(

Thanks y'all. The hardest thing right now is the fact that he still acts like himself. He still gets excited to go for his walk, he still asks for his food, and he still has his normal personality, so it makes it extremely hard to make the decision. I have noticed a bit of a change in his temperament and I can tell that it's bothering him a lot now, so I know that we're going to have to make a decision soon. Times like this makes me hate having a dog because it's just too damn hard! At least with a grandparent or parent you can still talk to them and they can let you know how they're feeling, but he has no idea what the heck is happening to him, he just knows that there's a lump in his mouth that hurts really bad. God, this is going to be a tough week...

Latest posts

Back