The Pet Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am at a loss as to what to do with the cat.

bxh.jpg

Just kidding, but seriously...

cat-in-trash-vector-823944.jpg

Still kidding. If it were me, it'd be high time for the cat to pack its bags and find a new home.

HA.

Feel for you Dex.

My wife / daughter have done the whole big eye, sob story, etc. My daughter volunteers at our local Humane Society. After going there for about 3 months, and knowing others who do this, they "convinced" me that we could foster cats until they found a home. We already have 2 other cats and one of them is a chronic pee/poop wherever he pleases when he gets irritated at anything. I've broken off my foot in his ass more than once. he's past his expiration date but still hangs around.

Well, my "agreement" was that they could do it as long as I'm NOT INVOLVED. EVER. AGAIN. I was never a cat person, the one's we have are not my cats, and since about 13 years ago when my wife was pregnant, I took over the litter duty to never give it up.

Let's just say I'm tired of cat shit.

At one point we have had > 10 total cats in the house (we have a mother and litter - because as my wife put it, "the kids will learn so much about babies").

Again, as long as it doesn't impact me - I'm OK.

Over the last week, I've had to clean up the basement bathtub because one of the fosters has decided to use it as a litterbox. Since no one else was around that day, and I was close to vomiting UPSTAIRS, I had to do something.

Good luck Dex.

I'm the cat person of the house. The kids are indifferent, but Mrs Dex prefers dogs. I'm thinking if the bad kitty goes away, she will become more amicable towards the other cat and back off of her "we're never getting another cat" stance she's on now...

I had to put one of my cats - Panda - to sleep today, after he had breathing issues due to an undiagnosed congestive heart issue.

WhyYesIdolikeSourCream.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
^^^ Sorry to hear, EC.

For some reason, both of my Greys have started getting unusually "touchy-feely" the past few weeks. The first one was always very much "I do my own thing", but now wants to be pet perpetually and gets on the bed every night, whereas she used to only do that every so often. My second one has been exceptionally tail-waggy, and has started chattering her teeth (which is a sign of excitement/affection in Greys, not like an I'm cold chatter, but more of a fast gnaw.) Wondering what brought it about.

Their remaining racing sister finally retired and was adopted almost immediately. I finally got a good picture of her, and she's a beautiful dog. She looks like you took my first dog and dyed her black. I had the adoption group forward the new owners our info so we can have a doggie reunion at some point.

Last edited by a moderator:
Put an ad on craigslist for my bad kitty. I love my cats, but am really tired of constantly smelling (and ultimately trying to find/clean) cat piss. Carpets in the house are just over 2 years old and we'll most likely have to replace most of it to get rid of the smell...

^ sorry to hear that Dex. It's never easy. We finally gave up on our 3rd cat that just hated the other 2 along with our dog. Fortunately we were able to give her away to LadyFox's brother. So we still get to see kitty occasionally when we visit with them. Honestly, I'm not sure what you can do in this situation. Cats are so independent and difficult to really "train".

If it's a medical condition, then I'd have to go through the vet and subsequent treatments/meds (read: expensive). Then, hopefully the issue is corrected, but I'd have to "re-train" her to use the litterbox (read: more cat-piss all over the house).

If it's not a medical condition, I would still have had to take her to the vet to find out it's not a medical problem (still expensive), then I'm still dealing with "re-training" her.

Either way, we just don't have the time to go through the retraining process. Our house is barely over 2 years old and we're already dealing with damage control from all of her staining.

We have two cats, one that has a propensity to crap on the floor if the litter box isn't clean enough for him, if it's being used by the other cat at the time he wants to use it or if you are in or near the box when he wants to go. He seems to want totally privacy to do his business and once he decides he wants to go he is going to go. There seems to be no waiting for the "bathroom" to be empty, it seems if the urge strikes than he is going right then.

It's annoying, but it hasn't gotten to the point that Dex is experiencing. It's also (for the time being) only #2's. He always seems willing to use the litter box for #1's. While it's still disgusting to find crap on the dining room floor it's a whole lot easier to clean up than cat piss.

I've found two factors that are within our control that seem to affect how frequently this occurs. #1 the cleanliness of the litter box. At a minimum I have to clean the box every 24 hours. This isn't really all that bad because I don't prefer to have a stinking litter box in the house. #2, which can be more of a hassle, it happens more often if we don't pay enough attention to the cat. We have two very odd cats in that they both seem to act more like dogs and want a lot of attention. I had cats growing up that would be happy enough to have nothing to do with you. All they wanted from us was food, beyond that they really didn't seem to crave human interaction. The cats we have now demand attention. One by pooping on the floor when he doesn't feel he's gotten enough, the other by being a pest (he'll go to other parts of the house and start meowing loudly). For us this normally isn't an issue unless we are travelling or we are extremely busy, but I can see where in a situation like Dex's where you have children and other pets, carving out enough time to give attention to one animal isn't going to be possible.

I don't envy the position you are in Dex. Even when they misbehave I really have a hard time believing I could ever give away either of our cats.

I read somewhere (or was told by LadyFox) that you should have 1 more litter box than the number of cats you have. So we also have 2 cats and 3 litter boxes. With that quantity, I can clean them weekly and all is well. No bad smells either.

^^ you are supposed to have a north and south litter box so they can have there fights over the territories inside the litter boxes and not in you house...I don't think it is as much of an issue if the cats are of opposite gender but I could be wrong...

So my cat was acting very strange yesterday, walking slowly hunched over with his head down, and wouldn't sit or lie down, just constantly walking, like he was in pain. He also couldn't seem to drink out of the bowl and ended up standing in it in order to get a drink. He also couldn't jump onto the couch, which is where he usually sleeps.

I ended up taking him to the vet this morning and they diagnosed neuropathy, which is fairly common in diabetics (which my cat is). I'm a bit relieved because I was afraid something was wrong with his back, which would have meant putting him down (he's 15.5 years old and I'm not going to put him through surgery or anything).

We're trying to get one of our outdoor cats to become an indoor cat. He's getting older (7) and has been an outdoor cat all his life, but the other outdoor cat gives him fits.

Trying to overcome six years of 'no, you can't come in the house' is harder than you'd think, but he's coming in and exploring with the door left open. The indoor cat runs and hides (she was a real badass to our last indoor cat, that died almost ten years ago), but we're hoping they'll get along.

Enjoying one final day of not having canine excrement on my floors and intact shoe laces.

I'm still finding black fur from the last dog, so I'll feel right at home with the shedding.

I ended up taking him to the vet this morning and they diagnosed neuropathy, which is fairly common in diabetics (which my cat is). I'm a bit relieved because I was afraid something was wrong with his back, which would have meant putting him down (he's 15.5 years old and I'm not going to put him through surgery or anything).

Well apparently it wasn't neuropathy after all, I came home from work yesterday and he was in an all-out seizure and apparently had been for a while. His temperature was 10 degrees low and his blood sugar was normal. Vet thought it could be a brain tumor. He'd been miserable the past few days, not really able to walk and couldn't jump at all. I couldn't see making him suffer any longer.

Back