The Pet Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was rubbing Annie's leg yesterday and felt a lump. Sure enough, there was a tick the size of Texas latched on to her (big bloated female, almost 1/4" long). Some alcohol, cotton balls, and tweezers later, she was free. Thankfully, she is MUCH better at just laying there and letting you turn/examine her than her sister is. Ticks are a huge problem in my area, so make sure you check your pets regularly!

I hate ticks. My dog is pretty passive and let's me rip them out without a lot of fuss which is a major plus with a long haired dog. I think he understands that I'm only trying to help him out.

Do you guys use any monthly tick treatments? I highly recommend them (if the dog doesn't react to badly to them). Sadie hasn't had any ticks since we started using the treatment. :)

I don't, but only because Greys can be more sensitive to overlapping treatments, and mine are already on Trifexis. If my vet OK's it, I will probably try a Preventic collar on them.

we've been successful with the drops behind the head I forget the name right now). I keep pretty tight reins on my dog when he's outside so I don't let him in the woods or tall grass. We've been pretty lucky this year.

Supe, I hope you took some hammer justice to that tick.

A long long time ago, we frequently put crushed garlic in our dog's food. It sure kept the fleas off, but I don't know the effectiveness with ticks.

I watched it drown slowly in rubbing alcohol.

Supe, I hope you took some hammer justice to that tick.

A long long time ago, we frequently put crushed garlic in our dog's food. It sure kept the fleas off, but I don't know the effectiveness with ticks.
I suppose it couldn't hurt my dog's breath.

I watched it drown slowly in rubbing alcohol.
I usually burn them with one of those butane grill/fireplace lighters

edit: AFTER I pull them off the dog (usually in an ashtry)

Last edited by a moderator:
Wife and I decided to have a dumbass attack last night and adopt a puppy. He's a 2-month old mutt. Animal shelter called him an Austrailian Kelpie mix, but really has no idea because his parents are both mixes and the puppies don't look like either of them. His color & face looks like a Austrailian Kelpie mix, but he has short stocky legs like a rottweiler or basset. He has big paws which suggest he'll get pretty big (he's already 7lbs at 2mos). I will try to upload pictures once I can get him to hold still long enough to take one.

Here's what a Kelpie looks like for reference:

black_tan_kelpie_01.jpg

And here's a rottweiler puppy

trained-rottweiler-puppies-for-sale_1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, Annie caught something last night. However, it started hissing/thrashing to defend itself, and did a number on her before getting away. Several small cuts/scrapes on her chest, and somehow she's got a hunk of fur/skin missing from her hind leg. We suspect it was this big ass rabbit that lives in a drain pipe next door, because the GF saw one bolting the opposite direction from the scene of the crime. We also suspect it to be the cause of the big f*cking holes in our deck chair cushions. Whatever it was, it's lucky Ursala didn't get to it first, because she is much nastier, and would have instantly shaken it to death/snapped its neck.

Back