The Pet Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here are my pups. Jax is a bassett/blue heeler mix on the left. He's just over 2 years old and is almost 80lbs. Zeus is a mutt. We have no idea what type of mix he is or how big he'll get. We're assuming he's an Austrailian Kelpie mix, but the shelter wasn't even sure of that because he doesn't look like either of his mutt parents. He's 6 months old and pushing 20-25lbs.

1431_723392054340824_1768621295_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I love the perky ears on the Kelpie! My dogs have all had floppy ears other than the GSD my parents got when I was 2.

I just started volunteering at the local animal shelter this past weekend. They come up with some pretty interesting descriptions on the kennel tag when they can't figure out what kind of mix the dog is.

A lot of the time it will be walking the dogs there, cleaning the kennels, etc. But they have a therapy dog program I want to get into where you take a dog or two to the hospital or nursing home. This is a big one for me as when I was stuck in the hospital this spring it made my day when someone brought a pooch by, even when it wasn't my dog.

I think the little guy is more affectionate than The Empress was. She slept next to me, he sleeps on me. I also turned a friend onto two of his littermates. Good for dog park meetups.

Also, please grow about 70 more pounds, quickly. It sorta gets cold here.

Last edited by a moderator:
The therapy dog idea is great, they really do make a big difference. Quite a few fellow Greyhound owners have certified them as therapy dogs, as they're very quiet and docile.

Jake, my 11 yr old boxer, has another ear cyst/tumor/oozingwhitething. He gets terrible ear infections from it, that smell awful. Gonna have it removed (again) Thursday. I'm pretty sure he's nearly deaf. We can walk right by him and open the garage door and he won't blink an eye. Still a great, energetic, beautiful dog, but I'm afraid he is not long for this earth.

I ended up taking him to the vet this morning and they diagnosed neuropathy, which is fairly common in diabetics (which my cat is). I'm a bit relieved because I was afraid something was wrong with his back, which would have meant putting him down (he's 15.5 years old and I'm not going to put him through surgery or anything).

Well apparently it wasn't neuropathy after all, I came home from work yesterday and he was in an all-out seizure and apparently had been for a while. His temperature was 10 degrees low and his blood sugar was normal. Vet thought it could be a brain tumor. He'd been miserable the past few days, not really able to walk and couldn't jump at all. I couldn't see making him suffer any longer.

Man, I'm sorry to hear that.

Jake, my 11 yr old boxer, has another ear cyst/tumor/oozingwhitething. He gets terrible ear infections from it, that smell awful. Gonna have it removed (again) Thursday. I'm pretty sure he's nearly deaf. We can walk right by him and open the garage door and he won't blink an eye. Still a great, energetic, beautiful dog, but I'm afraid he is not long for this earth.

Best wishes.

Wife has convinced my boys that they need a dog. I'm not quite ready to get one, but that's neither here nor there.

Back