The Pet Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just don't come crying to us after they're grown up and they suck your soul out while you sleep>
They're already trying.  Didn't get a whole lot of sleep last night.  They wanted to be petted at 3:30 am, and played on and around me in bed from 5 til 6.

Ignore them trying to do that! My kitty now sleeps diligently at our feet. He still does like to get up around 6 am, but that's not the worst.

I don't know, but that guy's an abusive piece of shit if it is, and probably shouldn't be allowed around women and children. 

Not as abusive as whoever did this though...

01cec1e31e8037c20f1d1af5bd664b79.jpg

Will you be taking high-speed photography of them as well? :lmao:
Perhaps.  It would be neat to see them drinking in high-speed.  Cat tongues are a really odd appendage.

Plus, there is a new firmware update for my camera that is supposed to vastly improve color rendition (one of my main complaints about the footage from this camera...washed out colors).  I'm itching to try the new firmware, so I may haul it out this weekend and shoot the cats.

Shooting the cats in ultra slow mo would be interesting, but extremely cruel.

Looks like we may be adding to our menagerie.  We were at the pet store the other day and we were looking at the parakeets.  The big downside was how much it cost to get a decent sized cage, especially since they're all those wire cages that don't look particularly nice.  Sure yo can get one of those little starter cages but they're barely big enough for one bird and, after you do some checking, they're small enough that the parakeet would actually have to be out of the cage a lot of the day.  I put my Engineering cap on and came up with an alternative...converting a china cabinet/hutch/armoire.  Found one on right down the street on FB that looked just right.  Had glass sides which I took out and replaced with 1/2" metal mesh and replaced the pressboard back with 1/4" plywood so it can support perches/toys/feeders if we want.  I think it came out pretty well.

Bird Cage.jpg

My family used to have parakeets when I was a kid (usually two at a time, though sometimes only one). They were neat to have!

Looks nice but what about all the mess the birds make on the bottom?

But I really like the concept - we used to have cockatiels, a lot of fun but also just a lot of mess.

Looks nice but what about all the mess the birds make on the bottom?

But I really like the concept - we used to have cockatiels, a lot of fun but also just a lot of mess.
Just line the bottom with newspaper or something of the like, dispose of as necessary.

I'll probably line it with contact paper to help protect the wood a bit and then most people just use newspaper.  If it gets too bad I still have plenty of the wire mesh, I can build a wood-framed platform with a mesh top and then find or make a couple trays that would go underneath and could be pulled out for cleaning.

Based on size alone, it's probably capable of holding 5 or 6, but I'd imagine we'll start with a couple for now.  Did see last night that parakeets are on sale at Pet Valu for $14.99 through the 25th.

Looks like we may be adding to our menagerie.  We were at the pet store the other day and we were looking at the parakeets.  The big downside was how much it cost to get a decent sized cage, especially since they're all those wire cages that don't look particularly nice.  Sure yo can get one of those little starter cages but they're barely big enough for one bird and, after you do some checking, they're small enough that the parakeet would actually have to be out of the cage a lot of the day.  I put my Engineering cap on and came up with an alternative...converting a china cabinet/hutch/armoire.  Found one on right down the street on FB that looked just right.  Had glass sides which I took out and replaced with 1/2" metal mesh and replaced the pressboard back with 1/4" plywood so it can support perches/toys/feeders if we want.  I think it came out pretty well.

View attachment 11872
nice cabinet.  why are you going to ruin by putting  birds in it?

Back