The Baking Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@leggo PE do you have bagel recipes you like? I just got sourdough starter. And bonito flakes - which I specifically bought to make bagels lol 

This is my go-to bagel recipe that uses sourdough starter: https://honestcooking.com/peter-reinharts-new-york-style-bagels-wild-sourdough/

It does use a tsp of yeast, but that doesn't bother me. Most of the fermentation comes from the natural yeast in the sourdough starter, and I don't mind a bit of a boost from added yeast if it'll guarantee a good rise in the bagels.

Also, the overnighting in the fridge is key! And for shaping, I've gone back and forth between the rope shaping method and forming a ball that you poke a hole through and then shape, and I think I prefer the poking a hole method.

I also never seem to have barley malt/syrup, so I just throw in some non-diastatic malt and call it a day.

i have barley malt syrup from my sad attempt at bagels last summer 
What happened when you tried to make bagels before?

My worst baking experience is a tie for two things, both a long time ago, before I was baking regularly in any capacity.. One involved scones that were just slop and didn't bake well (I don't know what I did wrong, but maybe added too much liquid?) and the second was for a soft pretzel recipe that was SO TOUGH my KA couldn't even handle it. More recently, I unintentionally doubled the dry ingredients when trying to make some oatmeal cookies... I think I talked about it earlier in this thread. They came out dry and super crumbly, but the flavor was actually still okay!

What happened when you tried to make bagels before?

My worst baking experience is a tie for two things, both a long time ago, before I was baking regularly in any capacity.. One involved scones that were just slop and didn't bake well (I don't know what I did wrong, but maybe added too much liquid?) and the second was for a soft pretzel recipe that was SO TOUGH my KA couldn't even handle it. More recently, I unintentionally doubled the dry ingredients when trying to make some oatmeal cookies... I think I talked about it earlier in this thread. They came out dry and super crumbly, but the flavor was actually still okay!

20190113_102928.jpg

What is wrong with them? The dough doesn't look smooth, and I can't tell how much they rose... Were they flat?

PS, the overnight proofing in the fridge is for development of the sourdough flavor!

And it's kind of annoying to do, because the trays have to be level and take up a lot of room in the fridge because of that... But it's very much worth it.

Be careful with how long you bake them. I've overbaked them a couple of times, when I was using sheet pans (that seem to bake things a little bit differently already). They still turned out okay, but my best attempt was my most recent one, where I figured out that using my baking steel is a great idea and then when I go to defrost and reheat the bagels, I don't need to toast them so much as just warm them at 350 degrees to make them super yummy. The crust was super chewy and crisp already from the original bake.

What is wrong with them? The dough doesn't look smooth, and I can't tell how much they rose... Were they flat?

PS, the overnight proofing in the fridge is for development of the sourdough flavor!
flat, chewy

The recipe above has never truly failed me. The bagels have always risen and always tasted good. It's been more a process of me figuring out my baking vessel and my oven when I moved earlier this year.

Hello, Sir Reginald!

My preference is to keep all of our sourdough starters in Mason jars, so we can see the bubbles. Wrap a rubber band around it at the level of the top of starter right after a feeding, and you can easily tell when it has doubled in size (and thus, ready to use)!

Hello, Sir Reginald!

My preference is to keep all of our sourdough starters in Mason jars, so we can see the bubbles. Wrap a rubber band around it at the level of the top of starter right after a feeding, and you can easily tell when it has doubled in size (and thus, ready to use)!
Thats what bestie said. My biggest jar is a 32oz mason jar that I get yogurt in

Thats what bestie said. My biggest jar is a 32oz mason jar that I get yogurt in
Why do you need that big of a jar? All of ours are in the standard 16 oz jars. Are you going to be mass producing bread??  :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Back